Will you gain weight if you eat before sleeping?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    I might sound shocking.... But it's not just calories in/out. Your body is not a calculator to simply count in/out. It's a complicated machine that needs proper functioning. Not just energy which is calories but necessary nutritions and regularity. And during my weight loss the goal is not just to lose weight but also to stay healthy while supporting this complicated mechanism called human body.

If it was only about calories in/out, I could've starved all day and at 10 pm had only daily McDonald burger, French fries and a soda or pizza (within 1200 calories) and by your theory I'd lose weight. Probably I would lose weight. But I'd also ruin my health. My digestive system would be ruined, my stomach and goldbladder would die in pain after just a month of this 'diet'.
    Then we shouldn't even be a species that's alive since early man actually ate that way. One meal a day.................the rest of the time was hunting and gathering.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Stone Age people lived for 30-35 years maximum :) Doubt they were really healthy.

but it was all organic
    That's what I'm sayin'! If they had pizza, the would have done much better.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I might sound shocking.... But it's not just calories in/out. Your body is not a calculator to simply count in/out. It's a complicated machine that needs proper functioning. Not just energy which is calories but necessary nutritions and regularity. And during my weight loss the goal is not just to lose weight but also to stay healthy while supporting this complicated mechanism called human body.

If it was only about calories in/out, I could've starved all day and at 10 pm had only daily McDonald burger, French fries and a soda or pizza (within 1200 calories) and by your theory I'd lose weight. Probably I would lose weight. But I'd also ruin my health. My digestive system would be ruined, my stomach and goldbladder would die in pain after just a month of this 'diet'.
    Then we shouldn't even be a species that's alive since early man actually ate that way. One meal a day.................the rest of the time was hunting and gathering.

IDEA Fitness member

Stone Age people lived for 30-35 years maximum :) Doubt they were really healthy.

They didn't have the medical abilities/treatments we have now.

You won't need much of healthcare at 30 if you have a healthy life style.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OP - you only gain weight if you eat at a calorie surplus. It really is simple calories in/calories out when it comes to weight gain and loss. Meal timing simply doesn't matter.

I am enjoying the arguments about cave men though and the fact that there is some random and nameless doctor who disagrees with the studies on the subject.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one has asked this yet...

Who is this "post-doctorate" doctor of yours and where is this research that you keep preaching about?
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    This has been SO entertaining, :laugh: :laugh: have to rush off and eat now!

Paying someone at an exotic location to tell you what to eat - and impose restrictions and rules - well you have to get SOMETHING for your money! :laugh:

Me - I will just do it myself, costs me ZERO for weird advice, ZERO to use MFP, eat as best as I can, get some exercise, and go my own way - which we all do.

If I have calories left over at night I have something to eat; I eat my main meal after 6pm. I don't eat hard to digest foods like meat and cheese just before bed because I get reflux - and nightmares!!

PS the comments about sleeping - that would be counted in your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) surely?
  • whierd
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

They didn't have the medical abilities/treatments we have now.

You do if you are exposed to predators, infectious wounds, bad water, etc, like early humans were.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I just ate wheat thins, hummus and a mocha. 7:08pms. *hangs head in shame*

Don't look now, but your goldbladder is dying.

I would've loved it more if I knew what it was. D:

I'll bury it in the backyard next to my goldfish.

As long as you don't lose your goldmember....wait! what?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This has been SO entertaining, :laugh: :laugh: have to rush off and eat now!

Paying someone at an exotic location to tell you what to eat - and impose restrictions and rules - well you have to get SOMETHING for your money! :laugh:

Me - I will just do it myself, costs me ZERO for weird advice, ZERO to use MFP, eat as best as I can, get some exercise, and go my own way - which we all do.

If I have calories left over at night I have something to eat; I eat my main meal after 6pm. I don't eat hard to digest foods like meat and cheese just before bed because I get reflux - and nightmares!!

PS the comments about sleeping - that would be counted in your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) surely?

Yes it would.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    You do if you are exposed to predators, infectious wounds, bad water, etc, like early humans were.

And of course dinosaurs - being tromped on by dinosaurs was a health hazard :wink: :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I just ate wheat thins, hummus and a mocha. 7:08pms. *hangs head in shame*

Don't look now, but your goldbladder is dying.

I would've loved it more if I knew what it was. D:

I'll bury it in the backyard next to my goldfish.

As long as you don't lose your goldmember....wait! what?

While my goldmember is not on my person, he is in a safe, non-disclosed location :P
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Well damn, I hope not. I usually eat my dessert right before bed (Nothing says happy time like a sweet treat while watching Gold Rush on the DVR in your jammies) and then go to sleep when I'm done. I'd say I'm usually asleep within an hour, tops, of my last 'meal'.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    So last night, within an hour, I ate this and then went to bed within 30 minutes of finishing.

1/2 lb spinach, 1/2 lb mixed veggies, 3/4 lb white potato, 24 oz (cooked weight) chicken breast, 1/2 lb cornbread w/ butter, 3 cups of fiber one chocolate w/ 1/2 cup milk, 3 cups cinnamon toast crunch w/ 1/2 cup milk, & a pint of Dreyer's Rocky Road.

Guess I must be doing it wrong, even though my health markers are great and I am losing weight at a good pace with this cut.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This cave painting found in Lascaux supports this claim.

84777-flintstones-old-lady-betty-episode-screencap-4x9.jpg
    (Shown here, Betty Rubble and Wilma Flintstone in their mid-30s)

Obviously they ate right before bed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    You can have a healthy lifestyle eating after 6pm. And having junk food occasionally. And eating before bed.

IDEA Fitness member
  • whierd
    Options
    So last night, within an hour, I ate this and then went to bed within 30 minutes of finishing.

1/2 lb spinach, 1/2 lb mixed veggies, 3/4 lb white potato, 24 oz (cooked weight) chicken breast, 1/2 lb cornbread w/ butter, 3 cups of fiber one chocolate w/ 1/2 cup milk, 3 cups cinnamon toast crunch w/ 1/2 cup milk, & a pint of Dreyer's Rocky Road.

Guess I must be doing it wrong, even though my health markers are great and I am losing weight at a good pace with this cut.

What you're doing wrong is using only a half cup of milk for 3 cups of cereal.

You, sir, are a monster!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

inb4 someone plays the age card, or the diabetes card, or the "yeah well you're obviously not healthy because...." card.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You can have a healthy lifestyle eating after 6pm. And having junk food occasionally. And eating before bed.

IDEA Fitness member

Agreed.It certainly works quite well for a number of us.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's 1:43AM - I'm going to have a yogurt and some whey protein and maybe a little wasabi chocolate.
    I hope my goldmember doesn't fall off.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

What you're doing wrong is using only a half cup of milk for 3 cups of cereal.

You, sir, are a monster!

BLEH! I don't find the need to drink another 1/2 cup of milk after my cereal is gone... took me a long time to get the ratio down to where there's a tea spoon of milk left after the cereal. (Disclaimer: Different cereals may return different results, but this works for Fiber One Chocolate/Honey Squares, Cheerios, & Cinnamon Toast Crunch) Increase the ratio to 3/4 cup for 5 cups of cereal.

ETA: By long time I mean like 3-4 tries.