Will you gain weight if you eat before sleeping?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ..if youre under your allotted calories for the day but eat, an apple for example, 1 hour before bed? Sometimes, work can be hectic and go on till 10-11pm. At this time, I get a tad bit hungry. So I was wondering if eating an apple or so (as long as Im under my calorie limit). But I read somewhere (cant confirm the authenticity) that if you eat before sleeping then it will be deposited as fat.

Is that trye at all? Or is that true for unhealthy junk food only?

I'm on a diet that doesn't allowed any food after 6 pm. My doctor is very strict about no food after 6, so it's not a myth.

But if I'm feeling really hungry, I can have a half glass of warm skim milk. It's allowed. It helps to calm the stomach.

My doctor recommends to have something to drink tat is easy to digest. This way my digestive system is also relaxing while I'm sleeping.

I'm not sure of the doctors reasoning behind the not eating after 6pm thing however it's been proven a myth over and over again.. If you eat 1500 calories between 7am and 6pm or 1500 calories between 5pm and 12 pm you will lose the same amount of weight provided your activity is the same.

The reasoning is likely to provide a larger fasting window, and thereby lower total calories for the day. Physiologically, meal timing makes little difference for most people. But that doesn't mean these tricks and tips can't make a big difference on an individual level.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    But isnt is true because you're not burning anything or doing anything physical and the body stores the food as fat?

Your body is making repairs while you sleep, so you are definitely using calories, even when you sleep. Children grow only during sleep. You can tell that a child is about to spring up like a weed when he starts eating everything and sleeping extra long hours.

I had a protein shake last night moments before going to bed because I worked out very hard yesterday, and I wanted to give my body the nutrients it needs during sleep to make the necessary repairs to my muscles. I'm still a little sore today, but not nearly as much as usual.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You actually burn more calories while you are sleeping than you do exercising. I usually burn around 800 calories while sleeping, but only 300 in an exercise session.

Honestly I did not know you could burn more sleeping. That's pretty interesting. I would be curious to find out how much I burn at night. I think I'd go get an hrm just to see. Thank you for that information.

Urgh. Basic body functions burn calories over time. Working out burns a lot more calories than sleeping.

You honestly think I didn't know body function burns calories. What can you actually add to this conversation that will teach me something? I see you've done a great job at racking up the posts in the last 4 months. But what have you actually accomplished? What have you learned and applied to yourself that we might find interesting?

Well, you seemed to be buying into the concept that sleeping burns more calories than working out. Perhaps you spent 5 sentences being sarcastic. What can I add that will teach you something? I have no idea what you know. For anyone else thinking they burn more calories sleeping than working out, hopefully we can nip that concept in the bud.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    When my mum was studying to become a dietitian, she said that your digestive system shuts down about 6pm. I don't know if its true or not, I never saw proof of this, I guess she wanted me to be like her when she was my age lol (I never hear the end of it, "I was never that fat when I was your age" LOL gotta love mums though ay). I don't live by that silly rule anyway, I usually have dinner at 6 or after soo... :laugh:

Hahaha! Her digestive system was on bankers hours. Mine is on bar time, so it doesn't even open for business until 11am or so. :laugh:
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    ..if youre under your allotted calories for the day but eat, an apple for example, 1 hour before bed? Sometimes, work can be hectic and go on till 10-11pm. At this time, I get a tad bit hungry. So I was wondering if eating an apple or so (as long as Im under my calorie limit). But I read somewhere (cant confirm the authenticity) that if you eat before sleeping then it will be deposited as fat.

Is that trye at all? Or is that true for unhealthy junk food only?

I'm on a diet that doesn't allowed any food after 6 pm. My doctor is very strict about no food after 6, so it's not a myth.

But if I'm feeling really hungry, I can have a half glass of warm skim milk. It's allowed. It helps to calm the stomach.

My doctor recommends to have something to drink tat is easy to digest. This way my digestive system is also relaxing while I'm sleeping.

I'm not sure of the doctors reasoning behind the not eating after 6pm thing however it's been proven a myth over and over again.. If you eat 1500 calories between 7am and 6pm or 1500 calories between 5pm and 12 pm you will lose the same amount of weight provided your activity is the same.

Well, it's a proven fact that this is the only way I can actually see significant difference in my weightloss process. You can tell me that it's a myth as many times as you want but I know what I see and experience - I do lse weight FASTER not eating after 6 pm, no bread, no sweets. I know my body and I know how it works.
    Eating 1500 between 5 pm and 12 pm while living and working normal hours not only would cause me to gain weight but also causes stomach pain and gold bladder problems. I've tried,thank you, and it wasn't good.

I think people should stop preaching whatever they've read online because nt everything you read on forums is legit. Instead people should listen to the medical professionals.
    if you dont mind I'd trust professionals with medical education and decades of experience in weightloss, not some people with obvious no medical education who's jst read some topics online and decided they're the masterminds of weightloss.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    if you dont mind I'd trust professionals with medical education and decades of experience in weightloss, not some people with obvious no medical education who's jst read some topics online and decided they're the masterminds of weightloss.

Why are you assuming that the people offering you advice, do not have qualifications?

Do you know what their education is?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    When my mum was studying to become a dietitian, she said that your digestive system shuts down about 6pm. I don't know if its true or not, I never saw proof of this, I guess she wanted me to be like her when she was my age lol (I never hear the end of it, "I was never that fat when I was your age" LOL gotta love mums though ay). I don't live by that silly rule anyway, I usually have dinner at 6 or after soo... :laugh:

Hahaha! Her digestive system was on bankers hours. Mine is on bar time, so it doesn't even open for business until 11am or so. :laugh:

Your body does digest while you sleep, but it is different. I don't remember exactly how, but it's why you rarely wake up in the middle of the night having to poo. Even babies rarely poo while asleep.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Your body does digest while you sleep, but it is different. I don't remember exactly how, but it's why you rarely wake up in the middle of the night having to poo. Even babies rarely poo while asleep.

You should meet my uncle Ted. Don't invite him over for a sleep-over though.
  • YaGigi
    Options

Why are you assuming that the people offering you advice, do not have qualifications?

Ok, you think everyone who preaches here has medical education in nutrition at least?
  • SideSteel
    Options

Ok, you think everyone who preaches here has medical education in nutrition at least?

No, nor am I implying such.

You made the claim that people offering advice do not have that education and I was asking if you knew this or if you were just assuming that.

I'm just curious what you're using to make the conclusion that everyone obviously isn't educated.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that most general practioners have very little knowledge regarding weight loss and nutrition. I don't think it is a very substantial part of their education. I would be more inclined to listen to the wisdom of an experienced and succesful forum member, especially if they are demonstrating that they have been keeping up with the current research, something which doctors often fail to do. And, education aside, with a little research of your own, you can generally spot someone whose advice is common sense and vice versa.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yes, its bad
  • SideSteel
    Options
    If credentials matter (which is questionable to begin with as I've seen credentialed and "educated" people make claims that have been readily established as erroneous) -- here you have it from Alan Aragon (bachelors and masters degrees in Nutrition and a very long list of accolades).

Alan: Whether fat oxidation is greater during waking or sleeping hours doesn’t matter. What matters is 24-hour fat balance, which is fat synthesis minus fat oxidation. See, those are the 2 sides to the equation. If you eat less during the day & more at night, fat oxidation will occur at a greater rate during the day. If you do the opposite, fat oxidation will occur at a greater rate through the night – & you end up at the same spot. After 24 hours, the body doesn’t know nor care which half of the day contributed to either a net loss, gain, or maintenance of fat balance. Unless you have a specific need for increased energy intake (ie, prolonged competition in a particular sport ocurring in the earlier part of the day), there’s no reason to assume that eating more during the day & less in the evening is INHERENTLY beneficial for body composition goals.

http://fitnfly.com/learn-about-food/nutrition-facts#_
  • YaGigi
    Options

You made the claim that people offering advice do not have that education and I was asking if you knew this or if you were just assuming that.

I'm just curious what you're using to make the conclusion that everyone obviously isn't educated.

I think that MOST people answering in this forum don't have the necessary medical education to treat me as a weighloss patient. If they're medical professionals, they need to disclose that before giving any medical advice.
  • bcattoes
    Options

You should meet my uncle Ted. Don't invite him over for a sleep-over though.

Noted.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    If credentials matter (which is questionable to begin with as I've seen credentialed and "educated" people make claims that have been readily established as erroneous) -- here you have it from Alan Aragon (bachelors and masters degrees in Nutrition and a very long list of accolades).

Alan: Whether fat oxidation is greater during waking or sleeping hours doesn’t matter. What matters is 24-hour fat balance, which is fat synthesis minus fat oxidation. See, those are the 2 sides to the equation. If you eat less during the day & more at night, fat oxidation will occur at a greater rate during the day. If you do the opposite, fat oxidation will occur at a greater rate through the night – & you end up at the same spot. After 24 hours, the body doesn’t know nor care which half of the day contributed to either a net loss, gain, or maintenance of fat balance. Unless you have a specific need for increased energy intake (ie, prolonged competition in a particular sport ocurring in the earlier part of the day), there’s no reason to assume that eating more during the day & less in the evening is INHERENTLY beneficial for body composition goals.

Ok, and my doctor has a different opinion, and she has a post doctorate degree. If its a competition who's got better education, she'll beat your Alan's butt.

Anyway, Alan is not the last testament in this matter, there are thousands of researches done. It's the matter of personal preference which doctor to trust.

Edited to add: I'm not sure if post doctorate degree exists in the USA. It's what you get after your PhD. I think it's mostly European and Asian.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Ok, and my doctor has a different opinion, and she has a post doctorate degree. If its a competition who's got better education, she'll beat your Alan's butt.

Anyway, Alan is not the last testament in this matter, there are thousands of researches done. It's the matter of personal preference which doctor to trust.

Good argument...well presented.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I think that MOST people answering in this forum don't have the necessary medical education to treat me as a weighloss patient. If they're medical professionals, they need to disclose that before giving any medical advice.

While I'm sure you are correct on this (although I'd argue against believing posts that begin with "I'm a doctor ..."), most people are giving advice based on experience.

Depending on their specialty a medical professional not familiar with your case may have better general medical advice, but much of what works for weight loss doesn't require a medical degree. It's often more about tips and tricks that allow you to develop healthy eating habits you can live with long term. There is no one perfect plan that will work for everyone.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Edited to add: I'm not sure if post doctorate degree exists in the USA. It's what you get after your PhD. I think it's mostly European and Asian.

What if I find practicing medical doctors who disagree with you?
    What if I show you peer reviewed research that shows you that you are wrong?

Will you believe it then?

Or are you just convinced you are correct, regardless of what evidence anyone may present you?

These are genuine questions.