Double chin and fat arms

Options
13»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,494 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Not sure about arms - but re chins: Actor Cary Grant (who supposedly never had plastic surgery) swore by daily chin exercises. One was repeatedly doing an exaggerated Ah-OOO-gah - thrusting the chin forward on the 'OOO.' The other exercise was to lie down with your head hanging off the bench or bed and sloooowly lifting your head up.

After losing 80lbs./5.7 stone my chin was looking saggy. I'm up for a neck lift - but I thought I'd give it a year and see what exercise could do. I've been doing ol' Cary's exercises now for a month and can tell you it HAS made a difference!

Stomach Vacuums and Cary Lifts. Pretty soon won’t be no time for eatin’ calories no ways.

😂
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You’re dead right I do have pretty bad posture, a year of online college didn’t exactly help either 🥲 I wanted those elegantly slim arms where the elbow is wider than the bit above it but I’m not sure that’s possible for most people?

What you describe as "elegantly slim" is better thought of as "skeletal." You have perfectly normal-looking human arms, attached to a perfectly normal-looking human body.

I think I described it badly I don’t mean the elbow bone is literally jutting out but just that the upper arm curves inwards a little instead of continuing to get wider until the shoulder. Again, I see it’s not a reasonable goal for me though

I think my arms are kinda like that but I it’s probably just due to genetics though. Gonna post some photos to compare… when I was obese my arms were definitely thicker. I lost 43 lbs over 10 months and my arms slimmed down but they were one of the last places I lost fat from. When I was younger and before I was obese I was always very self conscious about my “spaghetti arms” and now that I am a healthy BMI 23.3 they are back to being spaghetti-like but I don’t mind anymore, they are what they are and I am happy with them. For reference I am 5’11” 167 lbs 46y/o and mainly a runner, I don’t really do arm exercises, maybe a little swimming but that’s about it, I’ve maintained my goal weight for 7+ years now. Not sure if this helps but you can see how my arms did change with my weight loss, although you look like you are already at a healthy weight and much younger than me. By the way, your arms look completely normal and proportional to your size. Recomp definitely sounds like the way to go for you, best of luck! :)
    xmvs9m5v72k7.jpeg
    q2fc9pdjz09u.jpeg
    Okay just gotta say you're so hot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Thank you! You’re dead right I do have pretty bad posture, a year of online college didn’t exactly help either 🥲 I wanted those elegantly slim arms where the elbow is wider than the bit above it but I’m not sure that’s possible for most people?

What you describe as "elegantly slim" is better thought of as "skeletal." You have perfectly normal-looking human arms, attached to a perfectly normal-looking human body.

I think I described it badly I don’t mean the elbow bone is literally jutting out but just that the upper arm curves inwards a little instead of continuing to get wider until the shoulder. Again, I see it’s not a reasonable goal for me though

I think my arms are kinda like that but I it’s probably just due to genetics though. Gonna post some photos to compare… when I was obese my arms were definitely thicker. I lost 43 lbs over 10 months and my arms slimmed down but they were one of the last places I lost fat from. When I was younger and before I was obese I was always very self conscious about my “spaghetti arms” and now that I am a healthy BMI 23.3 they are back to being spaghetti-like but I don’t mind anymore, they are what they are and I am happy with them. For reference I am 5’11” 167 lbs 46y/o and mainly a runner, I don’t really do arm exercises, maybe a little swimming but that’s about it, I’ve maintained my goal weight for 7+ years now. Not sure if this helps but you can see how my arms did change with my weight loss, although you look like you are already at a healthy weight and much younger than me. By the way, your arms look completely normal and proportional to your size. Recomp definitely sounds like the way to go for you, best of luck! :)
    xmvs9m5v72k7.jpeg
    q2fc9pdjz09u.jpeg
    Okay just gotta say you're so hot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks! :) I found my body confidence late in life but better late than never B)
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I was trying to fix my posture in the mirror and when my shoulders feel straight they’re actually lopsided, is this normal or because my left side is weaker or something 😓

ydiq7774ydx9.jpeg

Do you carry a bag/purse on one shoulder more than the other? This can also cause one shoulder to look different from another due to using muscles on one side more often.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,416 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm still not sure about verbal descriptions, but I think you'd find your upper arms would be "contour-y-er" or "shape-y-er" long term from some patient strength training. (Do full body, though, not *just* arms!)

Consider programs here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

(There are bodyweight ones in there for beginners - you don't need weights or a gym, at least not right off the bat.)

Thank you, I’ll check them out! I can’t actually do a single push up at the moment so it will be nice to gain some strength aside from aesthetic changes lmao 😬

I'm totally useless at doing pushups. Well, I thought I was. Until I gave up on elevated and knee pushups and started doing slow negatives. Basically, go in a plank position, try to lower yourself down slowly. Then go up back into the plank position and repeat. I started at being able to just about do one to 3x8. And then I started trying real pushups. Well, my first real ones were kind of wiggly on the way up, but hey, I got there, and got to 3x8. Now I'm trying to do them without wiggling myself up. If I only manage one rep then I do the remaining ones as the previous version, thus wiggly up or slow negative. And if I crashed on the map doing slow negatives.. well... I have a mat for that :D

I actually am totally a fan of the Reddit Recommended Routine as there are so many alternative exercises compared to other programmes. It takes a bit more work to prepare a session, but for me works so much better. But each their own.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,416 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm still not sure about verbal descriptions, but I think you'd find your upper arms would be "contour-y-er" or "shape-y-er" long term from some patient strength training. (Do full body, though, not *just* arms!)

Consider programs here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

(There are bodyweight ones in there for beginners - you don't need weights or a gym, at least not right off the bat.)

Thank you, I’ll check them out! I can’t actually do a single push up at the moment so it will be nice to gain some strength aside from aesthetic changes lmao 😬

I'm totally useless at doing pushups. Well, I thought I was. Until I gave up on elevated and knee pushups and started doing slow negatives. Basically, go in a plank position, try to lower yourself down slowly. Then go up back into the plank position and repeat. I started at being able to just about do one to 3x8. And then I started trying real pushups. Well, my first real ones were kind of wiggly on the way up, but hey, I got there, and got to 3x8. Now I'm trying to do them without wiggling myself up. If I only manage one rep then I do the remaining ones as the previous version, thus wiggly up or slow negative. And if I crashed on the map doing slow negatives.. well... I have a mat for that :D

I actually am totally a fan of the Reddit Recommended Routine as there are so many alternative exercises compared to other programmes. It takes a bit more work to prepare a session, but for me works so much better. But each their own.

Great thank you! Made it about halfway down before my arms gave out but I guess we all have to start somewhere 🤷

hey, good start! Maybe just add a few more inclined ones on for example the back of the sofa. Builds some strength, and then you might manage a whole slow negative next time.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    We always want something different. I have skinny arms relative to my frame and it makes me so self conscious. I know exactly what you mean with the elbow being wider than the arm because that is how mine are and why I feel so self conscious wearing short sleeves. I wish my arms were more like yours. They look perfectly slim and beautiful!
  • Kabootom
    Kabootom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is really great, don't have before pic but this transformation is really great.