Our culture is set up for obesity.

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I have all the kitchen gadgets I will ever need.
    No nutritious and tasty meal for a family of four (that my kids would eat too!) is quick enough for me to leave me with ample time for all of my other commitments and obligations.

Let's leave it here, OK?

If you cannot do it in a reasonable amount of time, then maybe you should consider cooking courses.

And you keep talking about how constrained on time you are, yet you have been here for...two hours now? Could have done quite a bit of meal prep in that time. Just sayin'.

To be fair, this is the poster who, a few days ago, insisted she has no time to set up recipes and count calories in MFP and is frustrated because she isn't losing weight. Also, she buys shoes without laces, as tying a lace can take up too much time and seconds count in a day.

Personally, I've found (and added to my recipes) a variety of recipes that take <20 minutes prep time, and I can do a variety of things while the cooking part occurs. Last time we ate out I became frustrated because I could have actually made the same food for less money. My DH (yes a man who cooks!) made a big pot of chili from hard-bean scratch on Friday. Most of the time the beans were soaking; his total prep time over 12 hours was about 30 minutes of labor, broken up throughout. We've frozen some and are eating the rest this week. Cheap? Yes indeed. Healthy? Yup! Good with every reheat? You betcha--almost better with every day of age, actually.

PS--I too love the idea of bringing my own Rubbermaid "to-go" container. Next time I eat out, I will have to plan ahead to do that!

Oh wow, I had no idea she had posted that before. She may want to seek therapy if she feels that tying her shoes is a time sink and that seconds are precious.

Yah that thread was about the same as this one...taking partial quotes to suit her thoughts and bashing MFP's way of loosing weight and wouldn't listen to anyone who even attempted to broach the topic of logging because she doesn't have the "time"...but spends hours here on the forums bashing the US culture and blaming that for the world wide epedemic of obesity....
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Not going to read:
    Assumed cliffs:
    >People who don't know how to cook complaining they're getting fat
    -because culture is forcing you eat everything? lul

>People who do know how to cook, calling them out
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Not going to read:
    Assumed cliffs:

almost ..resturants by offering large size stuff is making us Fat.. The US Culture makes us fat..glad I am Canadian...another one we skirted by...hehe
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    ....and don't sit on your bum all day. It's not rocket surgery!

OK, I won't sit on my bum all day - how in the world didn't I think of this before?

I will make sure to change my desk job for a gladiator one - I know those guys move a lot - and will travel back home from work by foot.

It must be addictive to think that you have all the power in the world to make all the changes you please when in reality you are nothing but an easy-to-squash ant.
    Whatever gets us through the day, right?

Oh please! I've had a desk job for 30+ years and I've never been obese. You are going to have to think of something better than that.
    Just tell her to go butcher a dead organic chicken apparently that takes a long time...must be the organic part that makes it harder to cut up.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

So, what are we supposed to do about it? Find another way or move. Sorry, not seeing the tragedy. I live in a suburb. I walk and take the bus and train. My husband bikes. We have one car and it's about to break down. I've had to move 3 times in the past 6 years and each time, I try to choose a location that will work for me, knowing that I am going to be walking.

What are you trying to accomplish?

And how do you got off on passive aggressively insulting everyone by telling them how amazing and "God-like" and virtuous they are?

What exactly is your problem? And what solutions do you propose? And what is even your point? Are you even for real or is this just trolling?

Unbelievable.

I am calling troll because the alternative is too scary.

I'm starting to believe the same...

Ditto.

Troll city.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ....and don't sit on your bum all day. It's not rocket surgery!

OK, I won't sit on my bum all day - how in the world didn't I think of this before?

I will make sure to change my desk job for a gladiator one - I know those guys move a lot - and will travel back home from work by foot.

It must be addictive to think that you have all the power in the world to make all the changes you please when in reality you are nothing but an easy-to-squash ant.
    Whatever gets us through the day, right?

Oh please! I've had a desk job for 30+ years and I've never been obese. You are going to have to think of something better than that.
    Just tell her to go butcher a dead organic chicken apparently that takes a long time...must be the organic part that makes it harder to cut up.

It's the live chickens that are hard to butcher. They may be small, but they put up one h*** of a fight.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Not going to read:
    Assumed cliffs:

almost ..resturants by offering large size stuff is making us Fat.. The US Culture makes us fat..glad I am Canadian...another one we skirted by...hehe
    Make that say: restaurants by forcing us to eat the entire meal of large size stuff is making us FAT.

Surely, if they just offered, we could say no or take home half of it, therefore it must be forced that makes us eat it all.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Not going to read:
    Assumed cliffs:

More like:

1. Post that states America has a cultural problem that contributes to our propensity towards obesity.
    2. A bunch of people post straw man comments about "restaurants didn't make you fat, your lack of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY did"
    3. Repeat number 2 enough, the straw man is accepted as the original argument.
    4. Continue talking past one another, such that what could have been an interesting discussion ends up devolving into an entire basketload of stupid.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Not going to read:
    Assumed cliffs:

Make that say: restaurants by forcing us to eat the entire meal of large size stuff is making us FAT.

Surely, if they just offered, we could say no or take home half of it, therefore it must be forced that makes us eat it all.

See now that is what is wrong with our culture.. it's not that the resturant industry is practically shoving food down our face... supposedly... it's that we have forgotten how to say this short little one syllable word.... NO.... as a result we have a bunch of fat, bratty people because of it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I love how people still associate "pizza" and "chinese" and "eating out" with being fat. I got fat eating most of my meals at home. I've lost 60 pounds eating out quite often since then (and stay within my macros for the most part). Let's continue to blame pizza and chinese.

Pizza....

MMMMMmmmmmmm

Also to note; I've not read the whole thread yet so maybe regurgitating other comments.
    Haha, that was me and cheese. I didn't eat out a lot, but I sure enjoyed the most calorie-dense things from the grocery store, lol.

those damn Italian and Chinese restaurants have been making us fat for years!
  • katarina236
    katarina236 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how many people think that preferring an option to purchase a normal single meal when going out for dinner or lunch = wanting to police restaurants.

That an option of being required to purchase 2-3 dinners at that one seating (one fresh and 2 stale ones to take home) is a far more reasonable alternative to so many posters there than a normal portion size And that if this is not my preferred choice, than there is something wrong with me.

This! I completely agree with you 100% I can't believe how many people are taking this so personally. Also I can't believe how people can't acknowledge that culture does play a factor in the way we go about our lives! Yes in the end you are ultimately responsible for you but the way you were raised and the society you were raised in plays a big role in what decisions you end up making down the line.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Not going to read:
    Assumed cliffs:

More like:

1. Post that states America has a cultural problem that contributes to our propensity towards obesity.
    2. A bunch of people post straw man comments about "restaurants didn't make you fat, your lack of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY did"
    4. Continue talking past one another, such that what could have been an interesting discussion ends up devolving into an entire basketload of stupid.

How about this has been an interesting discussion and has consisted of a bit of both? There are certainly a couple of people in here who simply don't get it though.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how many people think that preferring an option to purchase a normal single meal when going out for dinner or lunch = wanting to police restaurants.

That an option of being required to purchase 2-3 dinners at that one seating (one fresh and 2 stale ones to take home) is a far more reasonable alternative to so many posters there than a normal portion size And that if this is not my preferred choice, than there is something wrong with me.

This! I completely agree with you 100% I can't believe how many people are taking this so personally. Also I can't believe how people can't acknowledge that culture does play a factor in the way we go about our lives! Yes in the end you are ultimately responsible for you but the way you were raised and the society you were raised in plays a big role in what decisions you end up making down the line.

I don't see many people taking this personally... but what I do see is a bunch of people making excuses as if what they do isn't at the very least partially their fault and they have no control over what happens to them.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Not going to read:
    Assumed cliffs:

More like:

Just so I am clear....because American culture likes to large size everything, cars, boats, buildings, and for this topic food....it absovles people of bad personal choices to eat everything in those large sizes and prevents them from doing exercise???????

K still sounds like a cop out to me...but whatever
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I love how people still associate "pizza" and "chinese" and "eating out" with being fat. I got fat eating most of my meals at home. I've lost 60 pounds eating out quite often since then (and stay within my macros for the most part). Let's continue to blame pizza and chinese.

Pizza....

MMMMMmmmmmmm

Also to note; I've not read the whole thread yet so maybe regurgitating other comments.
    Haha, that was me and cheese. I didn't eat out a lot, but I sure enjoyed the most calorie-dense things from the grocery store, lol.

those damn Italian and Chinese restaurants have been making us fat for years!

I am Canadian I have to blame seafood and alberta beef...oh and our beer..yum
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The feels, when I eat like a fatass and am to skinny.
    #firstworldproblems
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Just so I am clear....because American culture likes to large size everything, cars, boats, buildings, and for this topic food....it absovles people of bad personal choices to eat everything in those large sizes and prevents them from doing exercise???????

Just so you're clear -- you're the one only saying "it absovles people of bad personal choices to eat everything in those large sizes".

It sounds like a cop out, because that attitude is a cop out -- unfortunately, it's also a straw man, because you're the only one saying it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not going to read:
    Assumed cliffs:

More like:

Just to be clear, that is not what the OP said. It was mostly one poster who was, well, very opinionated.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Not going to read:
    Assumed cliffs:

More like:

You are missing the bigger picture but you are not alone since it seems many other people are as well. Funny about all of you preaching personal responsibility but there is something called cultural or social responsibility and so many people want to cop out on that, either out of laziness, selfishness or sheer ignorance.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I don't think it helps either when your parents tell you 'eat all that's on your plate- don't be rude!'

We do tell our daughter this - at home, and only if she is asking for some dessert and is claiming she's still hungry yet hasn't finished her meal, knowing that she likes the food on her plate. We don't supersize our plates at home, and I put a lot of healthy foods into our meal plan.
    I was eating out with my 10 year old daughter. Her and shared a meal at Chili's because we know the portions are huge. I looked around at all the busy tables and was stunned to see every person at every table had two plates each in front of them. Portion size is way out of control.

I've shared meals with my daughter as well. And I've also taught her that it's okay to bring food home.