1161718192022»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Old thread is old.
  • marcy625
    Options
    Very true! Only eat what you prepare! Make the effort well worth it!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I don't think it helps either when your parents tell you 'eat all that's on your plate- don't be rude!'

True, but to be fair to mom I think they mostly said this when everything disappeared from the plate other than the broccoli.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Just so I am clear....because American culture likes to large size everything, cars, boats, buildings, and for this topic food....it absovles people of bad personal choices to eat everything in those large sizes and prevents them from doing exercise???????

K still sounds like a cop out to me...but whatever

Just so you're clear -- you're the one only saying "it absovles people of bad personal choices to eat everything in those large sizes".

It sounds like a cop out, because that attitude is a cop out -- unfortunately, it's also a straw man, because you're the only one saying it.

I am the only one saying that our culture is not setting us up for obesity that it is our own personal choices do that? Interesting...I thought for sure that there were others saying the same thing...my bad.

I think the very fact that sites like this (which help us figure out how much we are actually supposed to be eating) are so popular, not to mention all the desperation fad diets which spring up here points to the fact that our culture is pretty much set up for overeating, since so many people seem to be completely lost and think things like the reason they gain weight is because our ancient ancestors didn't eat bread.

No one is saying we have no personal responsibility in the matter, just that we have to work harder to train ourselves here than in societies where you don't have "complete thanksgiving dinner breakfast wraps with bloomin pig nuggets*" style meals as the norm at many restaurants.

*daily show
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    a lot of restaurants here are popular because of their super size portion...