Our culture is set up for obesity.

Options

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    This article is fairly long, but a good read. Im interested in what people think of it. It sounds a little condescending, but I can also see where she's coming from (a frustrated and discouraged surgeon's point of view).

http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/march/1361848247/karen-hitchcock/fat-city

An excerpt:

The doctors I work with have an excellent grasp of the bio-psycho-social factors that contribute to our patients’ states, but we are only doctors. All we have are the tools of our trade: our ears, our voices, our hands, our pills and our scalpels. The waiting rooms are full, the waiting lists are long, the demand is swelling. Obesity is in many ways the logical endpoint of the way we live. Prevention beats palliation, but we’d need psychologists, motivational speakers, social workers, dieticians and physiotherapists to work with us in order to have any hope of tackling the problem. We’d need policy makers and activists. All we have are doctors like me.

Ostensibly cheap food heavily taxes both the individual and the community in terms of disease and redirected health resources. If longevity and the avoidance of disease remain among humanity’s aims, we should try to prevent ourselves from getting very fat. Forget obesity as a disease; it’s a ruse. For whatever reason, the majority of the population can no longer say I have had enough. For whatever reason, the majority of human beings respond to advertisements inviting them to enter a pleasure state by eating a day’s worth of calories in one sitting, again and again. In the face of this, we are stuffed. We could say, “You are free agents, totally free, so pay for your own consequences.” We could make people pay at the point of choice, via a food tax, or we could limit choice. The other option, always unspoken, is: let us have our cake. Let’s just eat and eat, get fatter and fatter, and work out how best to live with it. This is where we are heading now: fatness, outside of morality, as an accepted consequence of the world as we have made it.

This is pretty heavyhanded...but I think that what she's saying is:

Whatever the reason, whatever the cause, the solution has to come from you.

Whatever I hope healthcare will do in future is to say: "We are here to help you find those solutions because we realize how much work this takes."
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed portion control in US is excessive. I found if i "portion" out what I want to eat right away before I start, I find it easier to control what I eat. Sometimes I only eat a third or fourth of what is served. The only real "problem" is that i usually don't want to pack up what I did not eat. Sometimes the "servers" seem to get terribly offended when I don't want to pack up the leftovers. For restaurants that server massive portions, the food really isn't that inspiring to want to eat again. Also when travelling it is just inconvenient and i am forced to go back to hotel to store it. The same at home i guess... It is difficult to go on with your evening when you have to carry the leftovers with you.

The good news is I see things are changing. A number of local "non-chain" restaurants are starting to serve "right size" meals. Also recently I have gone to a few restaurants in the NW ( Portland , Seattle, San Francisco/Bay Area ) that have most delicious "small plates" options.

48403347.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I'm still making my way through the comments, but here's my two cents.

Are portion sizes out of control at a lot of restaurants? Yup.
    Are a lot of meals at restaurants insanely unhealthy? Yup.

Do people have control over how much they eat? Yup.
    Do people have the choice to not eat out? Yup.

My point is, I think both culture and individual choices both play a role. Almost all of the comments I've read so far are trying to make this a black and white issue, and you simply can't do that with this topic.

I think North America has leaned towards quick/cheap, and mostly unhealthy, meal choices for a while. The second post on this thread even highlighted how much larger portion sizes have become. Every day we are inundated by ads that depict huge burgers, "value" meals, etc. People see that stuff and it sticks in their mind- so when they're in a bind, is their first thought always "Hmm, maybe I should go pick up a quick salad from the store?" Usually, no. What comes to mind for many people is the most recent fast food/restaurant advertisement they saw.

Thankfully, I believe our country is starting to move away from that mindset. I've noticed that our country, as a whole, is becoming more aware of the importance of eating right/exercising. There seems to be a trend of "Fit is the new skinny", there are more restaurants making healthy-ish items available, etc.

As for everyone preaching the "Just don't eat out!", "Take 1/2 a day to prep your weekly meals!", etc arguments that's not always realistic (please note that I recognize there are many reasonable options being mentioned as well). We don't know what happens in the life of every other poster here. For some people it's totally possible to make all the right choices, eat left overs instead of eating everything at once, spend time doing weekly prep, etc but for some it may NOT be possible. Who are we to judge and argue 'til we're blue in the face "Yes you CAN do it simply because *I* can!". It's pointless. With that being said, I do 100% believe individuals need to take responsibility. The reality is we know what to expect at restaurants and fast food chains. It's very likely that as adults, we're going to slip up now and again and overeat, etc. If it happens, move on, and try to make changes in your life so it doesn't happen as often.

I think it would be great if at some point in the future businesses began to recognize the needs/desires of those who would like smaller, healthier portions. Do I think it's going to happen overnight? Surely not. But people who do desire that change are customers too- why shouldn't their needs be catered to in some capacity, just like they cater to the "big portions" crowd?

I hope all of that made sense. :flowerforyou:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    On my recent trip to New Orleans, when I asked for people's recommendations for restaurants, I would get same comment from more than one person -- people rave about restaurants, because the portions are "MASSIVE". I felt that it would be a waste of time to explain to them that "massive" is not necessarily what I am looking for in a meal.

You don't have to eat all of it.
    SIGH. how can I explain to a man with abs like this that leaving food in a vacation/food mecca like N.O. would be next to impossible for someone who grew up like me? It's easier on a 'resort' type vacation if you have a kitchenette..and can reheat for lunch.... but OH THE GLORY OF THAT FOOD THERE...you couldn't just LEAVE it! it would be sinful.. then again.. on vacation... just go for it!!! and walk a little more... or something.... indulging that infrequently won't hurt
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    On my recent trip to New Orleans, when I asked for people's recommendations for restaurants, I would get same comment from more than one person -- people rave about restaurants, because the portions are "MASSIVE". I felt that it would be a waste of time to explain to them that "massive" is not necessarily what I am looking for in a meal.

SIGH. how can I explain to a man with abs like this that leaving food in a vacation/food mecca like N.O. would be next to impossible for someone who grew up like me? It's easier on a 'resort' type vacation if you have a kitchenette..and can reheat for lunch.... but OH THE GLORY OF THAT FOOD THERE...you couldn't just LEAVE it! it would be sinful.. then again.. on vacation... just go for it!!! and walk a little more... or something.... indulging that infrequently won't hurt

Puhleaze...if I've said it once, I've said it 100 times. Calories do not count in New Orleans people. You get a huge pass to eat carte blanche...and do whatever else. :wink:
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A problem -- I avoid saying "the" problem since it's clearly multifaceted-- is that food has become entertainment. We see pudgy people on television trying to describe to the camera just how good that fat-laden, grilled-into-absurdity dish they're stuffing into their mouth is. They get looks on their face that, in a different context, would make you send the kids out of the room. They reach for words, and yet fail to find them, in an effort to convince you that words just don't exist to describe how good it is. They create the desire to get some of that yourself-- or, if the same thing isn't possible, the nearest substitute you can find.

It happens in the family kitchen as well. Kids that pout and whine because they didn't get just the right vegetable with their dinner are told they only have to eat a tiny, token amount of what they did get. Even if they do get the right one they would only eat a small amount more. After all, vegetables are just the price you pay for the real food, right? Favorite foods are prepared far too often. Treats, therefore, become the norm and lose their value as treats. They are the new baseline, and things that are merely nourishing become completely unacceptable. The family starts to rotate among a small number of ill-nourishing meals just to avoid conflict.

Food should be nourishing above all. Treats should be just that-- a treat, a reward, and should be infrequent. Vegetables and similarly nutrient-dense food should comprise the majority of a meal. And, above all, we need to stop using food as entertainment. Everyone-- we, the children we raise, and those that ask us how we lost all that weight-- need better ways to relax than food. It's pretty horrific that a kid's food expectation baseline is such that if they don't have a calorie-dense treat as every meal they become completely unhinged. Maybe they need a very bland (to them) but nutrient-rich diet for a while to reset their baselines. Maybe we are just going to have to accept some freakouts as we discipline them away from the bad habits we've taught them.

I know I shouldn't be so inclusive in my language. I'm certain that many parents here have taught their children good habits. I mean only to address the ills of society in general, and I'm very happy to see string exceptions to the pattern.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    In regards to making kids eat everything on their plat make them fat.....not in our case,

We required my 5 kids to eat what we put on their plate....but it was small, seriously two bites of each item, then they were allowed to have more of whatever they wanted. We did not want "picky" kids, complaining kids, they are all adults now, not a single one is obese, or fat.

conversely, I know someone who was not forced to finish her food, she ate only what she wanted....she is now very, very overweight.

It's about portion size and what your eating. It's not healthy to eat the child eat only the corn served and nothing else, or not eat then go for a snack....
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Just this weekend i was told how "rude" I was that I didn't eat with everyone else. I had already eaten and was joining them JUST to see them... I felt bad and started to eat some of the pizza, about 1/2 down with a slice, I ACTUALLY had to go throw up... my stomach hurt so bad from the high fat, high calories, and the fact that people make you feel bad for actually watching your weight... it is amazing. I told my boyfriend, next time I just wont' join him and his friends because they are all HUGE and although I am thinner, I want to stay that way.

And I think them saying that to you is rude. I've often gone out just to join people and only had a drink or dessert. People shouldn't selfishly force their habits on others.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    In regards to making kids eat everything on their plat make them fat.....not in our case,

We required my 5 kids to eat what we put on their plate....but it was small, seriously two bites of each item, then they were allowed to have more of whatever they wanted. We did not want "picky" kids, complaining kids, they are all adults now, not a single one is obese, or fat.

conversely, I know someone who was not forced to finish her food, she ate only what she wanted....she is now very, very overweight.

It's about portion size and what your eating. It's not healthy to eat the child eat only the corn served and nothing else, or not eat then go for a snack....

I do this with my kids also. You can have 2nds if you finish the veggies or what have you. You don't get to eat 3 pieces of garlic bread and leave the salmon and the salad lol. A friend of mine lets her kid eat cookies and crackers and granola bars all day "snacking" and then come dinner she leaves the more nutritious stuff. OF COURSE kids are going to choose what tastes good. Before you know if, you have a kid who will ONLY eat chips and sweets. A kid isn't going to starve if they miss a couple of meals but their growing bodies need nutrition not just full bellies. Let them miss a meal and I guarantee you they'll take down those eggs and berries the next morning :P
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    anything BUT cooking appealing, nutritious and economic meals for the entire family (which by the way, takes A LOT of time usually).

If that takes "A LOT of time," it's being done wrong.

BS.

Even the simplest meals can take a significant amount of time...between taking out containers, peeling or preparing the fresh food, and cleaning up, putting dishes away, etc. Do remember I also assume you cook economically. For example I never buy chicken breasts because I want them organic and organic chicken breasts are expensive as H.
    So I buy whole organic chickens that come out less expensive, and I butcher them myself.
    I can assure you that takes a significant chunk of time - just to get the meat ready for cooking.

Jumping in before I read the entire thread but...

Umm....it takes about 3 minutes for me to break down a chicken and I'm no chef. I get my food from a farm share, so I'm working almost exclusively from whole foods, and I have plenty of time to cook. Cooking from ingredients really isn't as hard as you frequently like to say.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    anything BUT cooking appealing, nutritious and economic meals for the entire family (which by the way, takes A LOT of time usually).

If that takes "A LOT of time," it's being done wrong.

BS.

Even the simplest meals can take a significant amount of time...between taking out containers, peeling or preparing the fresh food, and cleaning up, putting dishes away, etc. Do remember I also assume you cook economically. For example I never buy chicken breasts because I want them organic and organic chicken breasts are expensive as H.
    So I buy whole organic chickens that come out less expensive, and I butcher them myself.
    I can assure you that takes a significant chunk of time - just to get the meat ready for cooking.

Jumping in before I read the entire thread but...

Umm....it takes about 3 minutes for me to break down a chicken and I'm no chef. I get my food from a farm share, so I'm working almost exclusively from whole foods, and I have plenty of time to cook. Cooking from ingredients really isn't as hard as you frequently like to say.
    And practice makes perfect...or at least helps. I assign meals cooking to my teen boys sometimes. I swear it takes them 2 hours just to cube chicken breast (there were 6 chicken breasts, but still.....)
    They asked why it takes me a fraction of the time and I just tell them that when you cook a lot, you learn to be quicker and have short cuts.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Puhleaze...if I've said it once, I've said it 100 times. Calories do not count in New Orleans people. You get a huge pass to eat carte blanche...and do whatever else. :wink:
    Especially if you are at cafe du monde.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy to eat the child

Or legal. *giggle*
    Umm....it takes about 3 minutes for me to break down a chicken and I'm no chef.

I didn't really comment on that specifically because I've never personally done it. But my mom used to and I don't ever remember it taking her all that long. Chickens are pretty small. The OP isn't plucking it and draining the blood, after all.

I think she likes to make herself a martyr and possibly, as others suggested, is trolling.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've read some of the comments on here, so heres my 2cents regarding original post
    I disagree the 'culture' is set up for obesity as of choice and such maybe upbringing has more of this impact, but I do agree that portion sizes when eating out can be completely ridiculous I live in the UK and feel pub meals are just too much, (never been to America so cant comment there).
    I just always look up the menu and nutritional value of where I'm going to go and eat thankfully a lot of chain restaurants now have nutritional guides online here, then I just work the rest of the day around this, some meals at a regular place I go are around 1200calories per main meal, so depending on when I'm eating out (lunch/dinner) I'll just eat a small meal before or after, if i'm hungry.
    as others have said you don't have to eat it all, (however I do as many don't allow it to be taken away). we all have that choice though.
    As for it being part of gov/owners responsibility, if people weren't buying this food they wouldn't keep selling it we clearly make the demand for the food so its highly unlikely they will cut profits and such :ohwell:
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I agree that eating out in the UK is also hard but me and my family were in shock in Florida, the first night we ate out.

I ordered steak and chips ( I was very short, slim, and 14 years old so didnt need a large portion ) and when my plate arrived my older sister who had taken us asked if she could cancel her meal, so we could share mine. Her eyes popped out of her head when my plate arrived! lmao It was honestly so big I think 3 of us could have eaten off that plate. And only for around $14!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    There is no value in getting 4,000 calories for your dinner when you only need 700. Every calorie after that does not do anything good for you.

But what about the gains?

No, seriously.... you need a calorie surplus to build muscle... ask any powerlifter what's the easiest way to bulk up? It's fast food.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    There is no value in getting 4,000 calories for your dinner when you only need 700. Every calorie after that does not do anything good for you.

But what about the gains?

No, seriously.... you need a calorie surplus to build muscle... ask any powerlifter what's the easiest way to bulk up? It's fast food.

:drinker: - true point
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree. More so even than the large portions and high calorie meals, I think our culture is set up for obesity because the "norm" now is to stay indoors, be on your smartphone 20 hours per day starting when you're eight years old or so...and many people (especially here in the Midwest) consider "dining out" to be their #1 or sometimes ONLY form of family entertainment.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Who the heck vacuums for 90 minutes? Seriously. My home is small at 1200 square feet but when I vacuum thoroughly it takes 10 minutes.