Should dogs be kept on a leash in public places?

Options
twinketta
twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
What is your opinion?

Personally, I think they should. I have a dog and would never let him off his leash in a public area even though he is a cute toy poodle.

There are so many stories that I read in the news of people/animals being mauled by dogs that are not safely controlled by their owner.

Replies

• latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Around where I live, it is the law
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Depends on the dog. A well behaved dog that is obedient and easy to control are better behaved than most teens nowadays :)
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, no exceptions, end of story.

No one should be the victim of someone who "thought" that Mr.Fluff would just do what they said, when they said, without a leash.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yup. It's the law around here.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Vintimus
    Vintimus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Where I live it's the law, even though not too many people follow it. I believe dogs should be kept on leashes. I keep mine all unless we're in our shared backyard or the off leash dog park.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, as much for their safety as people's.

I see dogs off-leash around here all the time. As someone who has never had a fear of them and loves them, to me it's no big deal if a dog comes running up to me. But other people feel differently and you're risking that person even doing something like calling animal control and claiming an attack.

My friend has a pit bull. He was IN HER CAR with the windows up one day and she came out to see some woman yelling at him to get away from the window and the woman freaked out at my friend for even owning that breed and she said she was going to call the police and report a vicious dog.

Now, this particular dog my friend has had since he was a puppy. A friend of hers rescued the dog from people who wanted to use him as a bait dog to train fighting dogs. He's beta and the sweetest thing you'll ever meet. Plus, he was shut up in a car where he couldn't hurt anyone if he tried. Imagine if he were off-leash at a park and ran into that woman. Ugh.

So, yes. They should be leashed in public.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I hate when I am walking my kid (off-leash lol) and someones dog runs up to us. They always say 'oh its ok - he won't bite'. Um excuse me if I don't care about your warning. Put that damn dog on a leash because Im not just taking your word for it.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • SoonToBeShreddedBrah
    Options
    There should be some sort of test to see if the owner can even control big dogs, I have seen multiple times an owner struggle to control his/her " BIG *kitten* " dog'; just because the dude is on a leash doesn't mean he can't over power his owner and run at you

Come back to me when you have a gigantic rottweiler chase you
  • twinketta
    Options
    Around where I live, it is the law

I wish it was the law here.

I have a little confession to make. I actually bought `keep dogs on leash` stickers from Ebay and stuck them on the posts near where I live :wink:
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Yes I think so, I personally do it for my dogs sake. I don't want to take any chances that somebody that has no common sense or has a kid that they haven't taught how to approach a dog is gonna run up and come at my pup the wrong way. Not likely but you never know. I don't wanna see my dog put down for anything so it's for her safety as much as everyone else's.
  • twinketta
    Options
    There should be some sort of test to see if the owner can even control big dogs, I have seen multiple times an owner struggle to control his/her " BIG *kitten* " dog'; just because the dude is on a leash doesn't mean he can't over power his owner and run at you

Come back to me when you have a gigantic rottweiler chase you

My hubby just said exactly the same thing to me. If you buy from a breeder, you just go and pay your money and take away the dog.

If you go to a rescue center then they are a bit more stringent as to how you are going to care for the dog etc.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Also children.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I think pets need to be on leashes in public places, and even in neighborhood. I'm not questioning the animals obedience. I'm just saying you have to factor in a massive amount of STUPID when it comes to humans.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Also children.

preach.gif
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Depends on the dog. A well behaved dog that is obedient and easy to control are better behaved than most teens nowadays :)

I agree but... you don't know you have a dangerous dog on your hands until it attacks. And even if the owners are fully confident in their dog and their control over the dog's behavior, I shouldn't have to worry about it if I'm in a public place. That's my default position, but I have seen situations where off-leash seems to work fine.
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I work in animal rescue....too many horror stories of great dogs being put down because some kid without a parent goes up and gets in dogs face and....If your dog is kept on a leash you can protect him from.other people, dogs and kids without a leash.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    If I get bitten by a dog. I am putting it down that very instant. Enough said!