Should dogs be kept on a leash in public places?

Options

Replies

• alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Where I live it is the law as well.

I think it is a responsibility to my dog as a pet owner to protect them, and keep them safe. When my dogs are out with me they are on a leash. My yard is fenced all the way around to keep my dogs in, and other dogs out. Unfortunately other people don't keep their dogs in a fenced yard as well. Also, I have had to tell kids to stay away from my yard because they throw rocks and sticks at my dogs even though my dogs are in a fence.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If I get bitten by a dog. I am putting it down that very instant. Enough said!

And risk not knowing if you will die from rabies or not.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a Veterinary Assistant, it's for the animals own good to have it on a leash when out for a walk.

Not only will a spooked dog run and may possibly run into traffic, but it may turn aggressive towards you or someone else and without that control, there's no telling what can happen. Not having them on a leash can be asking for disaster as even the most well-trained dogs can get freaked out and run or attack. That being said, if you're at a contained dog park where it is a safe place to run, then let them off but make sure they are trained to sit and stay and will do so on your command. Just because you're at a dog park where unleashed dogs are allowed, doesn't mean an untrained animal gets the run of the place.

Also, unrelated but incredibly frustrating... pick up after your dogs. There are SO MANY fecal transmitted diseases that even 30 day old poop can transmit. PICK IT UP!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    In my opinion yes... and it's not the big dogs I'm afraid of... it's the ankle biting rat dogs that make better cat treats than pets... they are always up in my personal space when dogs are around.... trying to show off their Napoleon complex.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Yes. ALWAYS unless you're in a fenced area. I have a German Shepherd puppy and constantly run into people who think it's okay to leave their unruly dog off-leash. I fear that one day the wrong dog might decide to charge at her for any given reason.

Either way, it's the law here. People just don't listen.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a Veterinary Assistant, it's for the animals own good to have it on a leash when out for a walk.

Not only will a spooked dog run and may possibly run into traffic, but it may turn aggressive towards you or someone else and without that control, there's no telling what can happen. Not having them on a leash can be asking for disaster as even the most well-trained dogs can get freaked out and run or attack. That being said, if you're at a contained dog park where it is a safe place to run, then let them off but make sure they are trained to sit and stay and will do so on your command. Just because you're at a dog park where unleashed dogs are allowed, doesn't mean an untrained animal gets the run of the place.

Also, unrelated but incredibly frustrating... pick up after your dogs. There are SO MANY fecal transmitted diseases that even 30 day old poop can transmit. PICK IT UP!

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789
  • AmykinsCatfood
    Options
    If I get bitten by a dog. I am putting it down that very instant. Enough said!

And risk not knowing if you will die from rabies or not.

Yeah... it`s called quarantine.. if you get bit you automatically get a shot, but the animal can be quarantined for 2 weeks. If it has rabies it will exhibit symptoms long before those 2 weeks are over. Maximum lifespan for an animal with rabies was 3 weeks from initial bite. Symptoms show in a week and a bit.

Not every animal deserves to die because it was provoked into biting.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Not to mention it can contaminate the water via the storm water system, which is often reused in the main water system.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    For their safety and the safety of others, yes. Also, if you have one of those leashes that extends, you should keep it locked with your dog nearby when you are around other people/animals.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    Options

Not to mention it can contaminate the water via the storm water system, which is often reused in the main water system.

*Nods* Giardia is no fun for anyone.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789

This is the most amazing post on this thread. +1
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As long as they're well behaved, I don't see why they should.
    Dogs should be leashed. Not only should they be leashed, only people big enough to restrain the dog when it is pulling as hard as it can should be at the other end of the leash.

Predicting human behavior is hard enough. Dog are not human. No matter how much you treat them like humans, you cannot tell under what circumstances they will behave in completely unexpected ways.
  • CorrieJane
    CorrieJane Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As an owner of 2 "big-*kitten*" dogs, I say absolutely. I have 2 great danes, and they are the most gentle, mild mannered dogs I have ever met. They are great with kids and other dogs. But, any stranger I walk past has never met them before and their sheer size is intimidating. We are overly conscious about being responsible pet owners-our big dogs could seem scary to other people and it is our job to handle them. We do not want people to judge our dogs before they get to know them, so we do what we can to ease peoples nerves . We take them out on walks and to 5K run/walks all the time, socialize them as much as possible, but the only time they are off leash is at the dog park or in our private backyard.

At the end of the day, all dogs are still animals and could be set off by anything, you just never know with a dog that you have never met before.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Dogs can be unpredictable in public, even the beloved family ones. Of course they belong on a leash. And looked after...none of that '30 feet leash and I'm going to text while my dog interrogates strangers' business.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Yes! For everyone's safety, including the dog's!
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Way too many people have pets and have NO idea how to treat or train them. It's sad. Wish there was a law and we had to have a licence or permit to have a pet. (And kids for that matter).
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It's the law here, but I do like taking my dog to the designated dog parks where she can run free with the other dogs.

I notice a lot of people are saying it is the law, where do you live, and did you have to put in some sort of `vote` to make it law or was it just decided where you live?

Also, I am really happy that it is not just me that is of the opinion that dogs should be leashed.

Not sure about the kids and elderly people posts tho :laugh:
  • AmykinsCatfood
    Options
    Way too many people have pets and have NO idea how to treat or train them. It's sad. Wish there was a law and we had to have a licence or permit to have a pet. (And kids for that matter).

I especially love the people who get dogs as "outside dogs" and don't allow them in the house even when it's freezing outside, or the ones who say that their dogs can't survive at home alone while they do their grocery shopping and proceed to leave them in the car when it's 100+ degrees outside.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Around where I live, it is the law

I wish it was the law where I lived.

In the UK we have the most selfish dog owners on the planet...dogs are never ever leashed in a public place, and I couldn't give a sundried dingleberry if fido " only wants to play".
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    When I owned a dog he was military trained, so wouldn't do anything crazy when outside without getting a command for it.

A couple of years ago I saw a dog in a park who got excited when he saw kids and would run up to them and play with them. Well after an hour being there a dad and his kids came to play and the dog saw the kids and ran to them. What happened next was just crazy.

The dad saw the dog running towards his 2 year old and without hesitation punted the poor pitbull like 4 feet into the air, the sound that dog made was soooo sad. Of course the kids are crying the dog owners are freaking out the dad is freaking out, some lady who saw it happens calls the cops. One of the owners is in a heated argument that was about to turn into a fight, the cops come and end up giving the dog owner a ticket/summon for not having the dog on a leach.

I love dogs but if the dog is not trained then leach him for his protection and others.

If I saw a pitbull running towards my nieces, I'd have done exactly the same thing.