Should dogs be kept on a leash in public places?

Options

Replies

• DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Also children.

This, and maybe elderly people.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yes. And it's not the maulings I find to be common, but those little yippy *kitten* with something to prove and possessive attitudes. Oh, and the dogs, too.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    There should be some sort of test to see if the owner can even control big dogs, I have seen multiple times an owner struggle to control his/her " BIG *kitten* " dog'; just because the dude is on a leash doesn't mean he can't over power his owner and run at you

Come back to me when you have a gigantic rottweiler chase you

My hubby just said exactly the same thing to me. If you buy from a breeder, you just go and pay your money and take away the dog.

If you go to a rescue center then they are a bit more stringent as to how you are going to care for the dog etc.

Care and being able to control a dog on a leash are two completely different things. The shelter is looking to see if the dog is going to a good home. Will someone be home with them a lot? Will they be relegated to a crate the majority of the day? Is it a good home etc. They're not going to take the time to train you and the dog and see if you can 'handle' him on a leash. Also if you get a young dog who is going to grow up and be big they're not going to demand you come back to see if you can handle it and make you give it back if you can't.

With regards to not being able to control big dogs my dog is a 70+ lb German Shepherd. While most of the time I can control him sometimes he gets his eye on a something -- squirrel, bunny, chipmunk -- and wants to go tearing off into the woods after it and it is very startling and I have been pulled down by him when he does that. My husband has been jerked by him too in the same instance.

For the record we don't take him places where there are going to be people and dogs mainly because he is very, VERY hyper and doesn't always get along with other dogs and needs to be socialized slowly (he is basically a rescue dog as someone abandoned him at the end of our road last year and we took him in) For the most part when I walk him it's done off leash where I live which is in the woods with secluded back roads and woods.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It is the law around our area and even if it wasn't I think it should be.....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If I get bitten by a dog. I am putting it down that very instant. Enough said!

You are going to put it down? :huh:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    When I owned a dog he was military trained, so wouldn't do anything crazy when outside without getting a command for it.

A couple of years ago I saw a dog in a park who got excited when he saw kids and would run up to them and play with them. Well after an hour being there a dad and his kids came to play and the dog saw the kids and ran to them. What happened next was just crazy.

The dad saw the dog running towards his 2 year old and without hesitation punted the poor pitbull like 4 feet into the air, the sound that dog made was soooo sad. Of course the kids are crying the dog owners are freaking out the dad is freaking out, some lady who saw it happens calls the cops. One of the owners is in a heated argument that was about to turn into a fight, the cops come and end up giving the dog owner a ticket/summon for not having the dog on a leach.

I love dogs but if the dog is not trained then leach him for his protection and others.
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Also children.

preach.gif

Exactly!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't wish to be jumped on in a friendly manner or mauled.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    When I owned a dog he was military trained, so wouldn't do anything crazy when outside without getting a command for it.

A couple of years ago I saw a dog in a park who got excited when he saw kids and would run up to them and play with them. Well after an hour being there a dad and his kids came to play and the dog saw the kids and ran to them. What happened next was just crazy.

The dad saw the dog running towards his 2 year old and without hesitation punted the poor pitbull like 4 feet into the air, the sound that dog made was soooo sad. Of course the kids are crying the dog owners are freaking out the dad is freaking out, some lady who saw it happens calls the cops. One of the owners is in a heated argument that was about to turn into a fight, the cops come and end up giving the dog owner a ticket/summon for not having the dog on a leach.

I love dogs but if the dog is not trained then leach him for his protection and others.

If I were in that father's situation I probably would have done the same thing (or similar) to the dog. I don't know why your dog is tearing off after me or my kid and my gut reaction would be to stop that dog immediately.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Of course! And please, keep your dog at home when you go grocery shopping and out of the grocery cart. It's bad enough they have to go to the mall with you.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely 110%. Unless you're in a dog park or an "offleash" area.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    If I get bitten by a dog. I am putting it down that very instant. Enough said!

You are going to put it down? :huh:

No I am going to put it up.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    It's the law here, but I do like taking my dog to the designated dog parks where she can run free with the other dogs.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Here it is the law to have dogs leashed.

I don't mind if someone takes their lab out to the lake and tosses a ball in the water for them to fetch, off-leash. That's totally harmless in my opinion.

But taking the dog on walks around busy traffic and people they don't know? It just makes sense to have them leashed.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    As long as they're well behaved, I don't see why they should.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes, dogs should be kept on a leash in public places.
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    Yes, the only time I let my little guy off leash is at the dog park. He is a good boy but I don't want him going after a dog that may try to start anything with him, I'd rather be able to pull him back.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less about dogs off leash, I can't stand lazy parents with screaming children that act like little douchbags...
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It's the law here. And I think it should be the law everywhere. I am very fearful of dogs stemming from a dog attacking me when I was in kindergarten. I do love dogs and have had them all my life, but those are my dogs, and I know them. I don't know yours.

I've seen one too many 'sweet, kind, oh he'll never bite' type of dogs that snip at someone because they get skeezed out for whatever reason.

I have an English Bulldog, and as sweet as my dog is, and though he's never shown even the least bit of aggression, I still feel leery when people walk up to him that we don't know. We're walking down the street, and people will actually cross the street to come and pet him. I pull him back and tell people that he bites, though like I said he doesn't. I don't want to have any issues if he gets spooked and does something that even I can't control.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely. It doesn't matter to me how well trained or well behaved you think your dog is. It needs to be on a leash when there is the potential of running into other, unfamiliar dogs and people.