Should dogs be kept on a leash in public places?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I have bitten by a dog who "wouldn't hurt a fly."

If the owner really thought that, then they are part of the problem. Every dog will bite. The difference is the threshold at which they will.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Also children.

and spouses!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Also children.

and spouses!

Cats, children and spouses...they are a different species to dogs you can leash them/love them/train them but your dog will love you whatever but all the lot of them can bite :wink:
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I hate when I am walking my kid (off-leash lol) and someones dog runs up to us. They always say 'oh its ok - he won't bite'. Um excuse me if I don't care about your warning. Put that damn dog on a leash because Im not just taking your word for it.

It's nice to know that there are parents out there who monitor their children around dogs. I don't have kids, but when I walk my dog I hate it when little kids come running up to my dog to pet her. Yeah, she's small (all of 25 pounds and half Corgi) so I get that she looks cute, but she's actually a full grown dog who doesn't like chubby little hands crowding her space. -_-
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I hate when I am walking my kid (off-leash lol) and someones dog runs up to us. They always say 'oh its ok - he won't bite'. Um excuse me if I don't care about your warning. Put that damn dog on a leash because Im not just taking your word for it.

It's nice to know that there are parents out there who monitor their children around dogs. I don't have kids, but when I walk my dog I hate it when little kids come running up to my dog to pet her. Yeah, she's small (all of 25 pounds and half Corgi) so I get that she looks cute, but she's actually a full grown dog who doesn't like chubby little hands crowding her space. -_-

In case anyone is interested regarding "supervising kids and dogs". I thought this was a good read.
    http://www.robinkbennett.com/2013/08/19/why-supervising-dogs-and-kids-doesnt-work/
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What is your opinion?

Shouldn't be a need, requiring dogs to be leashed places an assumption that the dog is the cause of an incident.

That said my dog has a chest harness and a five metre leash so he can get plenty of range away from me even when he's on the leash.
  • DaniellaB1995
    DaniellaB1995 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Definitely! More for MY dog's safety than anything else. That off-lead dog may be very good with other dogs, people/children and everything, but fact is my dog isn't good with other dogs. Hence his lead, he's got amazing recall!

There are a few big german shepherds that are always off lead round my area, and yeah they're well behaved but if they come up to my dog HE will go for them, i'll have him on his lead so he can't actually get to them but if they're close enough there's nothing I can do, and they might retaliate - which would be perfectly reasonable because they're being threatened, and then my dog is in danger!
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the dog. Usually it's just polite to keep them on a leash when there are people around because some people might just be a little afraid of a big dog.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have a pig dog who is part pit and just to make some people feel a little safer I hold the leash tighter if i'm walking by someone.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    It really depends on the dog. Usually it's just polite to keep them on a leash when there are people around because some people might just be a little afraid of a big dog.

I am a big dog owner (2 German Shepherds and a Lab, well, we call him Little but people think he's big), I know people are afraid of them. I don't think that any of this should be limited to "big" or "little". Little dogs can cause as much of an issue as big dogs (ie starting fights, etc). They can still do damage. And some people are afraid of dogs, big or little.
  • RivenV
    Options

In case anyone is interested regarding "supervising kids and dogs". I thought this was a good read.
    http://www.robinkbennett.com/2013/08/19/why-supervising-dogs-and-kids-doesnt-work/

I do keep an eye out for this type of behavior with my dogs because I've learned to look for it. Plenty of children come from homes that don't have pets and as a result, have no idea how to act around them. I'm definitely not opposed to leashing my dogs when we're out and about, and I'll go one step further--I only take one dog out at a time so that he or she gets my full, undivided attention. As I said before, I'm sometimes shocked that I seem to have better diligence about my dog than other people do for their children, but I guess that's just human nature at work.

I'm an advocate for leashes for children, too, if they've shown a pattern of not behaving in public. I feel badly for my future kids already; though, ideally speaking, I'd raise them better than to go petting strange dogs, anyway.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Not out in the boonies, but if I go in town I leash them up. I always keep the leashes with me in case I need to get control or I need to use it as a weapon to beat off wild animals.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I do keep an eye out for this type of behavior with my dogs because I've learned to look for it. Plenty of children come from homes that don't have pets and as a result, have no idea how to act around them. I'm definitely not opposed to leashing my dogs when we're out and about, and I'll go one step further--I only take one dog out at a time so that he or she gets my full, undivided attention. As I said before, I'm sometimes shocked that I seem to have better diligence about my dog than other people do for their children, but I guess that's just human nature at work.

I'm an advocate for leashes for children, too, if they've shown a pattern of not behaving in public. I feel badly for my future kids already; though, ideally speaking, I'd raise them better than to go petting strange dogs, anyway.

Just to be clear, I wasn't implying you weren't or anything. Your post just made me think of that article and I thought it was relevent. :flowerforyou:
  • LarryLaird
    LarryLaird Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It's the law around here and a good one at that!!
  • RivenV
    Options

Just to be clear, I wasn't implying you weren't or anything. Your post just made me think of that article and I thought it was relevent. :flowerforyou:

I feel you. :smile: I thought the article was interesting. Are there really people who hear their dogs growl and say, "Oh yeah, that's cool. Don't anybody be concerned."
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I feel you. :smile: I thought the article was interesting. Are there really people who hear their dogs growl and say, "Oh yeah, that's cool. Don't anybody be concerned."

I've met them.

I've also seen people allow their kids to continually interact with their dog when it is clearly showing the other signs as well.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Of course they should, for their own safety.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    No.

tumblrmlirku3etf1ru5cg5o1400_zps0ad9e619.gif

Did you watch that whole video? That dog is extremely well trained. lol.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs. That being said:

My Lab(115lbs) is leashed for her protection. She is super people shy. She is a rescue dog to the fullest. Came with the scars on her face and legs to prove it. I go to the park later at night, when I know when people aren't around. She is more scared of you and will try to run from you. When I tell you NO, you may NOT pet her. It's for her protection and yours. She has never shown any signs of aggression, but it doesn't mean she can't or wont. You just never know what a scared animal will do.

My Begal (40lbs)l, He is super people friendly, He is leashed for his and your protection. He might be a medium sized dog but he can still knock you or a child over. I do not want him to hurt you from jumping. You may pet him, but only with my permission first and after I get him to sit down.

I don't walk my dogs together, I know they will split me in half. This isn't safe for me or my dogs.