August 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    @penguinmama87 :D I’ve definitely done the crazy arm waving, got a bug in my face dance and wondered if people driving by thought I was nuts!

@Tramboman It’s such a bummer that we are back to having races go virtual. After last season of that, I was really looking forward to a normal-ish return to racing. :( I still have faith that my Nov race will be ok, but maybe with more precautions in place than originally planned. It almost feels silly to be hopeful at this point.

Re: running to a nice, round number. I also finish off tenths of a mile. I didn’t used to. I noticed that when I stopped at the same place every day, I could feel my body start to wind down in the last couple tenths, like it knew where the end was. I started rounding off tenths because it altered my finish line just a little and it seemed to help with that feeling of the finish line is right there, shut it down! It also makes math easier. ;)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I’ve been reading but haven’t had time to comment.

Mad, mad, mad week here.
    - Lockdown level 4, means everyone’s home - yay homeschooling, yay mess.
    - Magazine deadline Friday, then in design this week, and a monster 104 page edition to boot.
    - House auction scheduled for today, went ahead as an online event. We sold!!!
    - Lots of gentle runs, six days in a row, culminating with 800m repeats today to make sure I’ve earned my rest day (and champagne and pizza).

Next week promises to be much more gentle and way less stressy!

Yay for sale despite lockdown
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,076 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @kgirlhart I hope a couple of days of rest is all that your hip needed to feel better!

@ContraryMaryMary Yeah for selling your house. That's fantastic. Sorry for the stress, but glad it should be short lived. Nice job on the running.

Nice run @Scott6255 . Glad the pain is gone.

Great running in the humidity @Teresa502 !

Sleep is important too @skippygirlsmom !

Sounds like you are doing great @julieannegannon ! Hope your hip is okay.

Good morning everyone. Today’s training called for a tempo run. I warmed up by walking 5 minutes. Then I did 10 minutes conversational pace. Then 10 minutes tempo speed (for me it was not so fast but I tried my hardest to speed up a little). Then 10 minutes back to conversational pace. Ended with a 5 minute walk cool down. My left hip is bothering me a bit. I notice it most when I get out of the car (which sits low). I think I am going to invest in foam roller to help.

August totals

8/01 6.23 miles run
    8/02 rest
    8/03 rest
    8/04 6.24 miles walk
    8/05 2.31 miles run
    8/06 6.43 miles walk
    8/07 2.39 miles run
    8/08 5.00 miles walk
    8/09 rest
    8/10 1.18 miles run
    8/11 6.89 miles walk
    8/12 2.44 miles run
    8/13 6.26 miles walk
    8/14 2.35 miles run
    8/15 4.56 miles walk
    8/16 rest
    8/17 1.50 miles run
    8/18 4.93 miles walk
    8/19 2.43 miles run
    8/20 rest
    8/21 rest
    8/22 rest
    8/23 rest
    8/24 2.00 miles run
    8/25 6.51 miles walk
    8/26 3.07 miles run

Total miles walk 46.81
    Total miles run 25.90 with 24.10 left to go
    I’m not going to reach my guessamated run miles this month. Now that I have a training plan I know the estimated amount for September to shot for.

Tomorrow’s training is cross training which for me is brisk walking. Hope you all have a happy running day. 😁
    I think I would lose my tiny mind stopping a run at 3.07! The OCD would just kill me.

Same. I hate plans that are by time because I have to keep going for a nice mileage number
    My plan calls for running a certain time, most days. When it does, I rarely quit at the exact number. I just run a bit further to get to a good stopping point mileage wise, i.e. nice round number or quarter mile.

Glad it had cooled off by the time you finished your run @rheddmobile :wink: Sounds like you had a nice run. Interesting how many different nuts you found. Sorry about your race and the 16 year old. So sad.

Nice run @penguinmama87 . I would have like to have see that cicada scene. :lol:

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Distance Log:
    Aug 2: 4.17 miles
    Aug 4: 4.80
    Aug 6: 5.94
    Aug 9: 5.74
    Aug 11: 2.75
    Aug 16: 5.86
    Aug 18: 3.58
    Aug 20: 5.75
    Aug 21: 2.29
    Aug 23: 5.91
    Aug 25: 5.71
    Aug 27: 5.98
    Aug 28: 2.30

Total: 60.78/60 miles

Met my goal! Yay!

I love that tableau @ContraryMaryMary, how fun!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,076 Member
    Options
    So fun! I love it @ContraryMaryMary ! You look great, BTW.

Congratulations on meeting your goal @penguinmama87 !
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    The aspens are starting to drop their leaves and I saw my first orb weaver spiders today.

We saw several of these on the property at our hill country house. They are pretty but HUGE! We did some googling to reassure ourselves that they weren't going to devour us in our sleep.
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    12 miles this morning. Ugh, soooo freaking humid... Just couldn't do the last planned mile.

So over the humidity!

The ones I saw were tiny, so I wasn't scared of them at all.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Maybe I'm seeing a different spider. These are 2-3 inches.
    5j6gtawd5vxw.png

That’s my favorite spider! That’s some kind of Argiope, colloquially known as “writing spiders” because of the zig zag stays at the center of their webs. We used to get them in the hayloft at the barn where I grew up, and the older kids would tell the younger ones that if the spider sees your teeth, it will write your name in its web and then you die! A great folk tale to scare little children into keeping their mouths shut. I vividly remember squeezing my lips together while passing their giant webs.

Folk tales aside, they won’t hurt you. They are barely venomous and so mild mannered that you can pick them up.