Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Anyone else frustrated with the CICO mantra?

Options

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @cmriverside did you read my post? I don't deny that CICO is true. I'm saying it's unhelpful to keep saying it to people over and over because we all know it. I don't have a solution, it's not my area of expertise. But the answer isn't to shrug our shoulders and dismiss the idea that it really is more complicated than that. We need more research. But you're wrong about where the problem lies. I refer to my alcoholic example again - telling an alcoholic not to drink so much doesn't help the person quit.

As an aside, a lot of medications cause weight gain, most often by increasing appetite. The opposite is also true - Saxenda for example works for weight loss partially by decreasing appetite. Hunger is part of the problem. Humans aren't designed to ignore it. It's why most diets fail.

There have been a few times in my life when I wasn't in charge of the menu or didn't have access to American supermarkets and I did learn to ignore hunger. It is indeed more challenging when I have unlimited access to hyperpalatable food.

Regular posters do spend a lot of time addressing hunger issues, with two main points:

1. We often caution against creating too aggressive a calorie deficit and I post this graphic ad nauseam:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

2. Finding the foods/macro combos an individual finds most satiating and focusing on them.

So, CICO is key to weight loss, and dialing in one's deficit and most filling foods makes compliance easier.

(There was a great weight loss graphic that had Compliance on 50% of a pyramid that I thought I bookmarked but didn't. If anyone has it, please @ me.)

@kshama2001

I found that graphic:

p8m1icq6sji4.png

ADHERENCE!

BUT I DON’T WANNA!!

:'(

(don’t worry, I still do the thing even when I don’t want to)
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    And this is why I say CICO and consider other factors as well

The math is the base. But sometimes other things make it extremely difficult to get down to the math in the first place. And we do need to acknowledge that.

Isn't this what everyone else has been saying?

Specifically, that what is good about understanding that CICO governs weight loss/gain/maintenance is that it frees you up to figure out the best way to get to the desired CICO for you (if you want to lose, CI<CO). Unlike other approaches, it doesn't tell you that you must also do something that might not work for you (like low carb, low fat, eat 6 mini meals, IF, exercise 1 hour per day, NO processed foods, etc.).

I would say that if one has trouble achieving CI<CO due to a specific health condition or a problem with binging or hunger issues, those are all things that one will need to figure out how to deal with (through a doctor/medication or therapy or not over restricting or figuring out what foods and eating patterns help with hunger, depending on what the issue is).

Absolutely no one claims that on an individual level you won't need to focus on anything but calories in order to achieve lasting weight loss, but that the specific things that will work for a person will likely vary based on their personal circumstances and preferences and the ways they gained in the first place. CICO, on the other hand, will be true for all -- the question is how a particular person finds it easiest to achieve the calorie balance that they are seeking.

Some say that. But no. Not “everyone” says that. And I’ve gotten quite a few disagrees for mentioning that there are often other factors that people need to pay attention to in addition to CICO.

I’ve even said on these forums that fat shaming is bad, and had people disagree with that.. .

As a forum veteran (not here - internet as a whole) - the people clicking react buttons are usually not the people you are talking to/who are participating in discussions with words.

I have someone who follows me around here clicking disagree on everything I say.

That does not mean that the people discussing with me - or even anyone - actually disagrees with me. It means they don't like me.

It's fine.

Yeah. I think I’ve got a few of those.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If Fong is a “quack” then why doesn’t the American Diabetes Association say so when they review his book?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6640893/
    Because it caters to ADA more than others? I mean of course the ADA would endorse him more than say a high carb book writer on weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I didn’t say the ADA endorsed Dr Fong.

While the review in the ADA journal (which I think is different from an official ADA review) doesn't say Fung is a quack, lines like "Where this book will challenge some diabetes health care professionals is in its claims that all current evidence-based, conventional treatments are wrong; this assertion is clearly untrue, so skip that part" seem to make it clear that they have serious concerns with his approach.

And some people have had success with the approach.
    Which is why I said “controversial” would be a better word than “quack”

Here come a bunch more disagree reacts.

I don't think anyone denies that people have had success with Fung's approach. The truth is that any eating style that creates weight loss tends to improve the chronic diseases associated with excess weight.

The issue is whether or not the people touting a particular diet are correct when they make claims that they've found the ONLY way to control weight.

Some people have also had success with John McDougall's high carbohydrate plant-based diet when it comes to chronic disease control and weight management, but this doesn't mean he's found the only way to control weight. To the extent that he (or Fung) make claims that weight control requires eating according to their plan, they're being quacks.

From what I know of Fung's plan, it's a healthy way to eat. It's just not (IMO) the ONLY healthy way to eat and that's where I think he crosses the line.

My original point was that calling Fung a “quack” was uncalled for.

And, sadly, lots of people think their way is the only way.

What would you describe this sales pitch as?

"Everything you believe about how to lose weight is wrong. Weight gain and obesity are driven by hormones—in everyone—and only by understanding the effects of the hormones insulin and insulin resistance can we achieve lasting weight loss."

This is the beginning of the item description of "The Obesity Code" on Amazon.

The truth is that thousands and thousands of people are able to manage their weight long-term without giving thought one to insulin and insulin resistance.

This is the essence of quackery. Only I have the information that can help you. Everyone else is wrong. You're doomed without me.

Doctors disagree frequently.
    In my opinion what makes someone a quack is intentional dishonesty just to make a buck.

Like Andrew Wakefield.
    Or psychics who milk Grandma for every dime she has in hopes of speaking to Grandpa.

Fung is controversial. And, obviously not everyone’s cup of tea. But I haven’t yet seen any evidence that his methods are harmful.
    Although If such evidence turns up? Especially if he doesn’t back off in light of such evidence? Then ya. I’ll call him a quack at that point.

I do think it's harmful to deny the role that calories play in weight management. It can make people feel hopeless if they try something like IF and it doesn't work well for them (I'm in this group, I feel sick if I don't eat in the AM). It can get people focusing effort on specific strategies that don't work well for them instead of just figuring out the best way to manage their calorie intake.

I absolutely believe that IF can be a useful strategy for some people to manage their calorie intake. Lower carbohydrate diets can be too. But if someone is focusing on both of those as an end in themselves (instead of considering them as possible tools to meet the real goal of calorie management), it can cause harm.

And if you're denying the role that calories play in weight management while you're telling people they have to buy your book or be fat forever . . . yeah, I'm going to call that quackery even if some people have success using your methods.

Yeah…. Since I made that comment
    I have come around some about Fung being a quack….

Some what about Fung being a quack??
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I see "eat less, move more" as pretty much good in the same way understanding CICO is. I mean, technically you don't have to move more, and some may not be able to, but increasing overall CO when possible can be helpful. With eat less, yes, that doesn't answer the question of HOW to eat less, but it illustrates that the issue is too many cals and gives the person the ability to figure out for themselves what would work for them.

If someone asked for advice on HOW to eat less and said they were struggling with it, I think they'd get mostly constructive advice or ideas about what worked for others and not just "just eat less!".

Lately, I see and hear "eat less, move more" this way:

e959hjpswam2.png

ETA: Sorry. I copied from a video clip, so I thought it would paste that way, but it didn't. Anyway, talk less, smile more.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If Fong is a “quack” then why doesn’t the American Diabetes Association say so when they review his book?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6640893/
    Because it caters to ADA more than others? I mean of course the ADA would endorse him more than say a high carb book writer on weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I didn’t say the ADA endorsed Dr Fong.

While the review in the ADA journal (which I think is different from an official ADA review) doesn't say Fung is a quack, lines like "Where this book will challenge some diabetes health care professionals is in its claims that all current evidence-based, conventional treatments are wrong; this assertion is clearly untrue, so skip that part" seem to make it clear that they have serious concerns with his approach.

And some people have had success with the approach.
    Which is why I said “controversial” would be a better word than “quack”

Here come a bunch more disagree reacts.

I don't think anyone denies that people have had success with Fung's approach. The truth is that any eating style that creates weight loss tends to improve the chronic diseases associated with excess weight.

The issue is whether or not the people touting a particular diet are correct when they make claims that they've found the ONLY way to control weight.

Some people have also had success with John McDougall's high carbohydrate plant-based diet when it comes to chronic disease control and weight management, but this doesn't mean he's found the only way to control weight. To the extent that he (or Fung) make claims that weight control requires eating according to their plan, they're being quacks.

From what I know of Fung's plan, it's a healthy way to eat. It's just not (IMO) the ONLY healthy way to eat and that's where I think he crosses the line.

My original point was that calling Fung a “quack” was uncalled for.

And, sadly, lots of people think their way is the only way.

What would you describe this sales pitch as?

"Everything you believe about how to lose weight is wrong. Weight gain and obesity are driven by hormones—in everyone—and only by understanding the effects of the hormones insulin and insulin resistance can we achieve lasting weight loss."

This is the beginning of the item description of "The Obesity Code" on Amazon.

The truth is that thousands and thousands of people are able to manage their weight long-term without giving thought one to insulin and insulin resistance.

This is the essence of quackery. Only I have the information that can help you. Everyone else is wrong. You're doomed without me.

Doctors disagree frequently.
    In my opinion what makes someone a quack is intentional dishonesty just to make a buck.

Like Andrew Wakefield.
    Or psychics who milk Grandma for every dime she has in hopes of speaking to Grandpa.

Fung is controversial. And, obviously not everyone’s cup of tea. But I haven’t yet seen any evidence that his methods are harmful.
    Although If such evidence turns up? Especially if he doesn’t back off in light of such evidence? Then ya. I’ll call him a quack at that point.

I do think it's harmful to deny the role that calories play in weight management. It can make people feel hopeless if they try something like IF and it doesn't work well for them (I'm in this group, I feel sick if I don't eat in the AM). It can get people focusing effort on specific strategies that don't work well for them instead of just figuring out the best way to manage their calorie intake.

I absolutely believe that IF can be a useful strategy for some people to manage their calorie intake. Lower carbohydrate diets can be too. But if someone is focusing on both of those as an end in themselves (instead of considering them as possible tools to meet the real goal of calorie management), it can cause harm.

And if you're denying the role that calories play in weight management while you're telling people they have to buy your book or be fat forever . . . yeah, I'm going to call that quackery even if some people have success using your methods.

Yeah…. Since I made that comment
    I have come around some about Fung being a quack….

Some what about Fung being a quack??

“Come around (to/some/about)”
    American idiom meaning changing one’s point of view/opinion.

oh ok, thanks for that.

I was reading it as you have come across some comments?, some posts? some views? some ?? about Fung

sorry, I completely misunderstood your sentence.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I see "eat less, move more" as pretty much good in the same way understanding CICO is. I mean, technically you don't have to move more, and some may not be able to, but increasing overall CO when possible can be helpful. With eat less, yes, that doesn't answer the question of HOW to eat less, but it illustrates that the issue is too many cals and gives the person the ability to figure out for themselves what would work for them.

If someone asked for advice on HOW to eat less and said they were struggling with it, I think they'd get mostly constructive advice or ideas about what worked for others and not just "just eat less!".

Lately, I see and hear "eat less, move more" this way:

I don't actually see or hear it in the wild. I just associate it with Michelle Obama and see it as functionally the same as CICO -- how to get there is going to vary.

Re talk less, smile more, Hamilton clearly had no interest! ;-)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    CICO itself is very simple as science goes.

How any individual person applies it varies from very simple to very complex. That is the problem with recommendations for any individual. Unless they ask a very specific question, it's hard to provide a specific answer. Everyone has differing diet (tastes) preferences, macro splits they may or may not be concerned with, motivations, severity (of lack of) urgency to weight control, self discipline, surroundings and support, etc.

Some people just see a desire to do it, and do it. I've seen instances where some people are literally driven to tears at the thought of a snack or going out to eat and making those choices. With so many extremes of what help is needed, it's hard to hit the mark without a lot of input.

As for the varied advice methods, it's going to be all over the map. That's the internet, and every person communicates differently.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    You hear it all the time on diet plans, from your doctor, etc. But it's apparent simplicity is both misleading and unhelpful.

Yes, CICO is true(ish, there are exceptions) But that's answering the wrong question. The question of why someone is overweight is, given that most dieters already know this, why do some people eat too much?

I'm a scientist and I hate this CICO mantra being thrown around like it's something we haven't heard before. Its unhelpful. We don't tell alcoholics that they are alcoholics because they drink too much booze. The answer to the obesity crisis lies in answering the real question.

Haven't read all the posts but my response to the bolded is most don't give a *kitten* until they are overweight enough to cause heath concerns (for some that doesn't make any difference either). Preferring some immediate gratification instead of looking at long term impact.