Eat More Cucumbers!

Options
124»

Replies

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If I skin them I can get them down but otherwise the taste…
    Cucumber juice is so overpowering I’d rather smother them in rice vinegar salt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    With all this talk about neighbours flytipping excess produce, I wonder if food banks and soup kitchens vegetable donations.

None of the food banks, shelters, or soup kitchens where I'm at will accept fresh produce as it goes bad too quickly and lack of storage capacity.

This is where things like Buy Nothing and Freecycle have a part to play in the equation.

Although here in the Pacific Northwest many people just do drive by vegetable porch distribution.

Yes, I used to use freecycle.org to get rid of excess produce. Now I use my local FaceBook gardening group.

I used to garden. But disability put an end to that.
    Now I’m the one accepting veggies from friends. Although I pay back by dehydrating and returning some for my friends winter pantries.

Who in the world would disagree with this????

Seriously people. Some of you are an absolute trip. I swear.

Sometimes people click on Disagree by mistake but you have a number of disagrees on this thread where you were just expressing an opinion, so there's no legit reason for disagreeing, IMO. Looks like you may have picked up a Disagree Stalker. You can ask a mod to look into this. They can tell if a particular person is following you around disagreeing with everything you say. Stalking is against the Community Guidelines:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/community-guidelines

Thanks. I think I may have a disagree stalker.

Not sure if it’s worth it to bother the mods. But maybe if it keeps up.

An excess of disagree reacts doesn’t hurt anything…. Does it?

No, you won't get in any trouble from "disagrees."

I don't think there is a specific rule in the Guidelines about Disagree Stalkers...I don't know where kshama came up with that...I looked!

"Disagrees" are the fruit flies of forum life. :lol:

There is a general "I won't" for stalking in # 2:

"I won’t stalk other members."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    For some reason I carried a chilled Persian cucumber to nibble on my (very hot) walk up to the yoga studio.

About halfway there, I realized it was fabulous and refreshing and that I should be doing this every time I leave the house.

I got so excited explaining my discovery to myself that I wagged my finger and my cucumber went flying.

Slippery little bugger.

I wish I could keep a little cooler of them by the front door. Chilled snacks, sticking down my cleavage prior to hot summer runs, cooling my feet off when I get home, I see a world of possibility in the humble chilled cucumber.

🤣🤣🤣

But I can see the appeal. For me, a puzzle: Not having a cleavage, anything put in the front of my shirt makes it way South, cucumber maybe becomes a chilly under-codpiece, not such a good thing in so very many ways. I think I'd need to devise a cucumber sling, or something, to avoid embarrassment.

I just ate a whole regular cucumber, plus one of those cute round yellow "lemon cucumbers" for dinner. They were lovely. Those, conspiring with the 2 eggplant, 5 or 6 tomatoes (I forget), 2 ears of sweet corn, a bunch of Asian long beans, and some (brace yourself) edamame-spirulina spaghetti, alongside . . . means I am now full. Very, very full. 😉😋
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For some reason I carried a chilled Persian cucumber to nibble on my (very hot) walk up to the yoga studio.

About halfway there, I realized it was fabulous and refreshing and that I should be doing this every time I leave the house.

I got so excited explaining my discovery to myself that I wagged my finger and my cucumber went flying.

Slippery little bugger.

I wish I could keep a little cooler of them by the front door. Chilled snacks, sticking down my cleavage prior to hot summer runs, cooling my feet off when I get home, I see a world of possibility in the humble chilled cucumber.

🤣🤣🤣

But I can see the appeal. For me, a puzzle: Not having a cleavage, anything put in the front of my shirt makes it way South, cucumber maybe becomes a chilly under-codpiece, not such a good thing in so very many ways. I think I'd need to devise a cucumber sling, or something, to avoid embarrassment.

I just ate a whole regular cucumber, plus one of those cute round yellow "lemon cucumbers" for dinner. They were lovely. Those, conspiring with the 2 eggplant, 5 or 6 tomatoes (I forget), 2 ears of sweet corn, a bunch of Asian long beans, and some (brace yourself) edamame-spirulina spaghetti, alongside . . . means I am now full. Very, very full. 😉😋

I'm picturing a tube top with multiple pockets for cucumbers. Or maybe a cucumber bandolier.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Slippery little bugger.

🤣🤣🤣

I'm picturing a tube top with multiple pockets for cucumbers. Or maybe a cucumber bandolier.

I would buy that bandolier. 😍
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, cucumber conversation just created some very disturbing images. Lol
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont

As far as I’m concerned, you’ve won the internet today.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont

As far as I’m concerned, you’ve won the internet today.

Wow, thanks!
    (voice over: first time nominee, first time winner)

I'd like to thank the Academy, and my parents, and (exit music begins to play)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    @springlering62
    I had a girlfriend who grew up in rural Canada who claims cow tipping was a teenage pastime. She said that cows sometimes fall asleep standing up and 4 or 5 teenagers can genty tip one over. Not sure what to believe about that.

I'm from BFE Nebraska and this is totally urban legend. Cows are pretty sturdy and not nearly as dim-witted as people think. They do sometimes sleep standing up, but it's a very light sleep and they're easily awakened. They usually lay down to sleep...when they're standing up, it's kind of like when you doze off a little at your computer or something, it's not a full on sleep. No way they're not going to hear and feel you coming.

The idea of being able to gently tip one over is also kind of hilarious as it would take a ton of force...there wouldn't be anything gentle about it. In real life when cattle need to be put on the ground for veterinary treatment, branding, etc, rope restraints or a special piece of equipment is used to confine the cow and then mechanically tip the cow. There's no way a few teenagers are getting a cow over.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are a staple at my house. Last night I made a cucumber, watermelon salad with red onion and serrano peppers that I topped with pine nuts, goat cheese and a lemon juice, olive oil and mint dressing. So yummy!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I thought it was here I posted about the cucumber and yogurt soup I made, with lots of fresh herbs. I became obsessed with it to the point that I now have peppers and tomatoes and should make gazpacho (and will), but want to save the cukes for the other use. And this is even when wanting to make pickles.

Given my serious need to use up tomatoes too, I think I will be making gazpacho next, however, unless I get inspired to use them in some other way.