Beauty procedures to help with weight loss

Options

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    Options

I don't believe the negativity is towards having a beauty regime. It is more (for me anyway) about the reliance on expensive beauty products to deliver results that they probably won't. Wrinkles are pretty much there no matter what. You have to prevent them in the first place by wearing a good sunblock EVERY day and drinking plenty of liquids. Once they are there they are there. Apply what you want, it won't get rid of them. Botox works, but wears off after 4-6 months so needs topping up. Personally it's the only treatment I would pay for. All the expensive anti wrinkle creams are a con. You are just feeding into yet another giant industry full of pointless products that we all seem to HAVE to have these days......

Well, you have a right to do whatever you want. But I don't need your negativity towards MY choices. If you don't like it, don't do it. Don't use anything, don't buy expensive skincare, more power to you. But coming to this thread to express your negativity about choices of other people is pretty pathetic.

I am 32, my skin is better than some 25 years olds, no wrinkles, no dis colorations, so it seems I'm doing something right for myself :)

Cool. No amount of cream will catch up with time.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Wow, yes, I realize that I did pick up / restart a lot of good beauty habits along with a healthy nutrition and exerise lifestyle in 2012.

1. bought a new clarisonic to replace my old one that had died several years ago and use it daily
    2. found the right drug store soap for body and face - sebamed and cetaphil
    3. continued with La Mer cream for dry spots on my skin.
    4. Got new makeup that isn't make up (CC or BB creams)
    5. Learned to do my own nails with products that don't contain formaldehyde
    6. Use Sebamed lotion for my body lotion daily and dry body oil (luxe) once a week
    7. quit getting any highlights in my hair and instead get keratin treatments 2-3 x a year
    8. Never leave the house without sunblock
    9. Professional Facials once a quarter
    10. Eyebrows done monthly at the nearby Ulta by a professional

Along with all the new beauty routines, I am continously making sure I weed what I wear into a semi- Project 333 wardrobe every 3 months. I have gone from over 100 garments down to about 55. Working to get it lower!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I choose to use my money for my gym membership rather than overly expensive often unproved beauty products. But hey, whatever floats your boat I say ;-))

Seriously you think gym membership will help you with wrinkles in future?

I'd like to think most women with bodies like this tend to be more "get old gracefully"

I'm afraid you and I have different definition for what "gracefully" means.
    I'd just like to point out that the women having plastic surgery, Botox and going through chemical peels and all that crap ... look like they do all that crap.

They don't look good. They THINK they look good. They THINK no one can tell. And if they feel good about themselves, great. But everyone knows.

Women who, on the other hand, are healthy and let themselves age in a natural way while exercising, eating healthy, not smoking, eating good foods ... They tend to look lovely, even if they have a few wrinkles.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I choose to use my money for my gym membership rather than overly expensive often unproved beauty products. But hey, whatever floats your boat I say ;-))

Seriously you think gym membership will help you with wrinkles in future?

I'd like to think most women with bodies like this tend to be more "get old gracefully"

I'm afraid you and I have different definition for what "gracefully" means.
    I'd just like to point out that the women having plastic surgery, Botox and going through chemical peels and all that crap ... look like they do all that crap.

They don't look good. They THINK they look good. They THINK no one can tell. And if they feel good about themselves, great. But everyone knows.

Women who, on the other hand, are healthy and let themselves age in a natural way while exercising, eating healthy, not smoking, eating good foods ... They tend to look lovely, even if they have a few wrinkles.

Well, good for me because I don't do PS, Botox, etc but do exercise, eat good food, not smoking and etc :)

Though if you have a really good PS doctor, no one can tell. I'm serious. I have friends who have done PS and its literally impossible to tell, they just look good. For example breast augmentation after having kids and breast feeding.
    Also my cousin had her nose done because it was broken and it looks very natural.

Regarding chemical peel, you're expecting to see results, like having good skin without discoloration and scars. So when you say something like "they look like they had chemical peel" it's funny because there's no specific look after the redness is gone, just healthier looking skin.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I had laser therapy for cellulite a few years ago, I was at a good weight and just didn't how the very back of my legs looked - happy with the results still, and I just had a baby. I had it done at a plastic surgeon's office, did 8 treatments.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    I had laser therapy for cellulite a few years ago, I was at a good weight and just didn't how the very back of my legs looked - happy with the results still, and I just had a baby. I had it done at a plastic surgeon's office, did 8 treatments.

Oh cool!
    What's the name of the treatment?

I might do it when I lose my 20 pounds!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    my beauty routine:

squats 3x week
    deadlifts 1-2x week
    bench press 1-2x week
    pendlay rows 1-2x week
    overhead press 1-2x week

the overhead press may be a real :grumble: but it's really worth it for how my shoulders look so much better now than they did before I ever did any overhead presses

plus skin is an organ, it needs to be nourished properly from the inside, so getting enough calories, protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and water in the diet is also therefore part of my beauty routine, and should be part of anyone's.

QFT!

QFT x2
  • Jennloella
    Options
    I forget what they called it then, probably called different things now, it was the red laser that heats up the fat cells, then they use a roller that is connected to a vacuum. It was sort of painful, especially over my liposuction scars on my outer thighs (done in 2006) I went twice a week for 4 weeks, the results weren't immediate. two weeks after the last treatment was when I saw the progress, and then they had me come in 4 weeks after my last treatment for after pictures, and wow side by side I could see a difference. Still really happy with my thighs now. I run, and lift weights as well. My legs got a little soft while I was pregnant because I was on bed rest, but the dimples never came back.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, not really. To look better, sure.

Facials, body scrubs, botox, fillers, chemical peels, etc.

I've never done any Botox or fillers and my dermatologist says I don't need it yet. But I'm opened to have it in future...

I'm thinking fillers at some point, not so much on the Botox...but I'm on 21 years with my esthestician, and light peels are a regular part of my facials.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have had a couple of laser lipo sessions (the completely non invasive type). I lost 1/2 inch off my tummy after my first session and its really helped my baggy mummy tummy firm up a lot and I'm less embarrassed about the way it looks now. I've gained 3/4 of an inch in the last couple of weeks but I'm hoping its just because everything is pulling upwards (the overhang is definitely less) as well as water retention because I started lifting and exercising more a week ago. Fingers crossed it goes down again soon. I'd recommend it not necessarily for inch loss but if you have an area like my tum that just seems to be skin with no substance at all (and possibly a ton of stretchmarks from 5 big babies!) then it may be worth looking out for a Groupon offer.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    I have had a couple of laser lipo sessions (the completely non invasive type). I lost 1/2 inch off my tummy after my first session and its really helped my baggy mummy tummy firm up a lot and I'm less embarrassed about the way it looks now. I've gained 3/4 of an inch in the last couple of weeks but I'm hoping its just because everything is pulling upwards (the overhang is definitely less) as well as water retention because I started lifting and exercising more a week ago. Fingers crossed it goes down again soon. I'd recommend it not necessarily for inch loss but if you have an area like my tum that just seems to be skin with no substance at all (and possibly a ton of stretchmarks from 5 big babies!) then it may be worth looking out for a Groupon offer.

I also lost inches with the cellulite treatment. I had traditional lipo and in 7 years even when my weight fluctuated I never gained back in those areas, is it the same with the non invasive lipo? How was it done? I'm wondering how similar it is to the laser treatment I did. I agree the mummy tummy is a head ache, I had a tummy tuck after my 2nd baby, so all the stretch marks went with it. My third baby is 10 weeks old now, and I look like I was never pregnant, my tuck held up amazingly!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest anyone with lots of weight to lose to dry brush their skin and CeRave cream when they get out ot the bath or shower. It will help in your skin bouncing back.

That's my two cents. and you can count it.:flowerforyou:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Weight loss IS my beauty procedure.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    I forget what they called it then, probably called different things now, it was the red laser that heats up the fat cells, then they use a roller that is connected to a vacuum. It was sort of painful, especially over my liposuction scars on my outer thighs (done in 2006) I went twice a week for 4 weeks, the results weren't immediate. two weeks after the last treatment was when I saw the progress, and then they had me come in 4 weeks after my last treatment for after pictures, and wow side by side I could see a difference. Still really happy with my thighs now. I run, and lift weights as well. My legs got a little soft while I was pregnant because I was on bed rest, but the dimples never came back.

Maybe a Vaser shape? It sounds similar to it. I read it hurts a lot... Please remember the name!! It's important, lol!
  • YaGigi
    Options

What's the name of it? Was it painful?

Btw, your babies are beautiful! You're younger than me and already ave 5 kids! I need to get busy, lol :)))))
  • YaGigi
    Options
    I strongly suggest anyone with lots of weight to lose to dry brush their skin and CeRave cream when they get out ot the bath or shower. It will help in your skin bouncing back.

That's my two cents. and you can count it.:flowerforyou:

Oh I used to use the Cerave lotion when I lived in the USA. I liked it a lot! It has salicylic acid which helps to exfoliate and hyaluronic acid and Vitamin D for moisturizing. It's really good! And the bottle was huge, it was good for many months.

It was especially good for the in growth hair...you know it happens after waxing.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    hmmm... these are the topics that made me feel like an alien.

I have never used any beauty products, and I have never used make-up. I am in a long-term relationship and have attracted interest from the opposite sex. I have friends, a family that loves me, I love my work, my hobbies... I am a very cynical person and can be very pessimistic and I can get very upset about lots of things, but I have never felt that external beauty or whatever the term is, would improve any aspect of my life.

I never understood why people regard beauty products such an integral part in their lives.
    Care to explain? And: no I am not judging people for using make-up. I know it can be used in moderation just to enhance certain body features to look better. I know that good looks can be advantageous. I just don't think that I am a statistical anomaly, i.e. so beautiful that I don't need any of it (HAHAHAH no, definitely not).
  • YaGigi
    Options
    hmmm... these are the topics that made me feel like an alien.

I have never used any beauty products, and I have never used make-up. I am in a long-term relationship and have attracted interest from the opposite sex. I have friends, a family that loves me, I love my work, my hobbies... I am a very cynical person and can be very pessimistic and I can get very upset about lots of things, but I have never felt that external beauty or whatever the term is, would improve any aspect of my life.

I never understood why people regard beauty products such an integral part in their lives.
    Care to explain? And: no I am not judging people for using make-up. I know it can be used in moderation just to enhance certain body features to look better. I know that good looks can be advantageous. I just don't think that I am a statistical anomaly, i.e. so beautiful that I don't need any of it (HAHAHAH no, definitely not).

You're not an alien, you just don't like it, and thats ok. You should love your life and enjoy yourself. Do what makes you happy and what feels natural to you.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options

What's the name of it? Was it painful?

Btw, your babies are beautiful! You're younger than me and already ave 5 kids! I need to get busy, lol :)))))

Thank you. I'd still love to have more children(!), but it'd be nice to be in better shape this time :o)

The treatment I'm having is just called laser lipo but you have to be careful to read the procedures as they have one with a similar name where they suction out the fat afterwards and I'm not really into anything that invasive.

The treatment only takes 10 minutes and is completely painless. The just strap paddles to you and hand you a magazine lol.

They say you can lose up to 3 inches in the first session but those measurements are taken from waist, navel and lower tummy combined so don't be misled.

To the above poster, I'm not sure what the cellulite treatment you had was so I don't know if it was similar but I'm curious! The laser lipo is the first salon type treatment I've ever had and I'm really enjoying a bit of me time.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You're not an alien, you just don't like it, and thats ok. You should love your life and enjoy yourself. Do what makes you happy and what feels natural to you.

Oh don't worry it is not bothering me at all. I would just like to understand.