How do I know if I have wide hips or not?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    there's a perfect ratio? according to whom? and .8 is bad? what does any of this mean? is it possible to just accept our bodies, change what we can within the limits of our genetics, and not worry about mythical shapes that resemble fruits and/or ancient timekeeping devices?

NVM. i got nothing
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You are a banana/ruler.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm a human. Shaped liked a human.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    there's a perfect ratio? according to whom? and .8 is bad? what does any of this mean? is it possible to just accept our bodies, change what we can within the limits of our genetics, and not worry about mythical shapes that resemble fruits and/or ancient timekeeping devices?

NVM. i got nothing

Nope. We must all fit into boxes! And when we don't fit into the box we want we must argue about that box until we convince that box to FIT US! SPARTA!

I can kind of see the uses of body shape/type when it comes to clothing, but even then I don't dress for 'pear' I dress for 'Hey, do this look awesome?" I try on stuff, either it looks good and I buy it or it looks bad (Fit, color, fabric, pattern...whatever) and I toss it away. Also body type clothing suggestions seem awful. Everything is telling me to un-emphasize my hips/backside/thighs and I say no! If I could walk into rooms backwards so my *kitten* was the lead I would, screw trying to tone that down. All the patterns, right on my hips! Revolution!

Wait. What?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You are a banana/ruler.
    ngbbs4b10cf9e2604a.gif
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    This is weird. Look in the mirror, look at your hips, then determine whether you think they are wide or not.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm a doctor. You don't have "wide" hips. Done.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    A. Top heavy hourglasses don't exist. If your top and bottom around about equal (and 10 inches larger than your waist) then that isn't an hourglass. People seem to be real confused about that.

B. You aren't an hourglass.

C. You look like a banana but if you're as top heavy as you claim I guess you could be an inverted triangle.

invertedtriangle.gif

If my waist was 2 inches smaller I'd have to be a top heavy hourglass. 36-23-33. That's a top heavy hourglass? Is it not?

Sometimes people say if you're 8 or 9 inches smaller in the waist you can qualify as an hourglass.

But anyway does an inverted triangle have a defined waist? Or hips that are bigger than the waist? Because that's what I constantly here is that they're thick waisted and the midsection is equal to the hips when I do body shape calculators I never get this shape. But I do uptop look more inverted triangle than anything just the math behind doesn't make sense to me... That's all.
    Hourglass or X shape (triangles opposing, facing in): The hip and bust are almost of equal size with a narrow waist. Body fat distribution tends to be around both the upper body and lower body. This body type enlarges the arms, chest, hips, and rear before other parts, such as the waist and upper abdomen.

No to top heavy hourglasses. 3 inch difference isn't 'almost equal' or else I'd be a 'bottom heavy hourglass' (37-28-40) and in fact close to an hour glass shape than you yourself are. But I'm not an hourglass, bottom heavy or otherwise, I'm a pear.

What makes you think an inverted triangle can't have a defined waist?
    Apple or V shape (triangle downward): Apple shaped women have broad(er) shoulders compared to their (narrower) hips.

The size of your waist seems largely a none issue, as it comes down to Shoulder/Bust vs Hips

Well I guess you have a point with that. That makes sense. The difference though with the measurements 36-23-33 and yours are that your bust isn't 10 inches bigger than your waist. The measurement I presented had both above 10 inches. Either way I am not 36-23-33 and have a 25 inch waist so as long as I have a 25 inch waist likely won't have to question this aspect.

When I read anywhere they say the problem spot is the stomach which I actually gain weight everywhere. When I'm underweight I tend store all my fat up top on my breasts and then as I gain weight my thighs and butt tend to fill out a little better. But I always have a heavier chest and shoulders to hold them up. I don't really store fat in my waist. I barely gained an inch on my waist. I gained inches in my lower half from gaining 20 lbs and some in my chest. But I don't have back fat either. But I have the bone structure for an inverted triangle. I admire the inverted triangle shape and I kind of see myself as one but with a defined waist. I didn't know that was all it took my bone structure to know my shape. I always was doing other body shape calculators. I got top heavy/inverted triangle on one the rest were hourglass.

thanks for your advice.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Wait..OP..you are 35? Did you have children, surgery, or have something happen to have you asking?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You are a banana/ruler.

how do i account for the curve? and does the direction of the curve matter?

Ca0FoCj.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    You are a banana/ruler.

Ca0FoCj.jpg

The direction of the curve always matters...I'd go into detail but it is secret....plus..mostly applies to males and probably strikeworthy :laugh:
  • Achrya
    Options
    You are a banana/ruler.

Ca0FoCj.jpg

Yes.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    I'm nearly 20. Why?

And yeah when I look in the mirror they look wider to me

I'm not a ruler. Rulers don't have D cups or C's for that matter.

As far as how I dress. I actually dress to eccentuate having an inverted triangle shape. But also emphasize waist. I have been trying to look for jeans that emphasize my narrow hips but emphasize my butt sometimes I just dress like how pears do's and dont's.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I'm nearly 20. Why?

As far as how I dress. I actually dress to eccentuate having an inverted triangle shape. But also emphasize waist. I have been trying to look for jeans that emphasize my narrow hips but emphasize my butt sometimes I just dress like how pears do's and dont's.

Your profile says 35. Just wondered if there were was a reason it was brought up. When women have children, some of the hips get wide so I wondered if that was what you were thinking.

And I'm a ruler and I have D's.
  • Achrya
    Options
    A. Top heavy hourglasses don't exist. If your top and bottom around about equal (and 10 inches larger than your waist) then that isn't an hourglass. People seem to be real confused about that.

B. You aren't an hourglass.

C. You look like a banana but if you're as top heavy as you claim I guess you could be an inverted triangle.

invertedtriangle.gif

If my waist was 2 inches smaller I'd have to be a top heavy hourglass. 36-23-33. That's a top heavy hourglass? Is it not?

Sometimes people say if you're 8 or 9 inches smaller in the waist you can qualify as an hourglass.

But anyway does an inverted triangle have a defined waist? Or hips that are bigger than the waist? Because that's what I constantly here is that they're thick waisted and the midsection is equal to the hips when I do body shape calculators I never get this shape. But I do uptop look more inverted triangle than anything just the math behind doesn't make sense to me... That's all.
    Hourglass or X shape (triangles opposing, facing in): The hip and bust are almost of equal size with a narrow waist. Body fat distribution tends to be around both the upper body and lower body. This body type enlarges the arms, chest, hips, and rear before other parts, such as the waist and upper abdomen.

No to top heavy hourglasses. 3 inch difference isn't 'almost equal' or else I'd be a 'bottom heavy hourglass' (37-28-40) and in fact close to an hour glass shape than you yourself are. But I'm not an hourglass, bottom heavy or otherwise, I'm a pear.

What makes you think an inverted triangle can't have a defined waist?
    Apple or V shape (triangle downward): Apple shaped women have broad(er) shoulders compared to their (narrower) hips.

The size of your waist seems largely a none issue, as it comes down to Shoulder/Bust vs Hips

Well I guess you have a point with that. That makes sense. The difference though with the measurements 36-23-33 and yours are that your bust isn't 10 inches bigger than your waist. The measurement I presented had both above 10 inches. Either way I am not 36-23-33 and have a 25 inch waist so as long as I have a 25 inch waist likely won't have to question this aspect.

When I read anywhere they say the problem spot is the stomach which I actually gain weight everywhere. When I'm underweight I tend store all my fat up top on my breasts and then as I gain weight my thighs and butt tend to fill out a little better. But I always have a heavier chest and shoulders to hold them up. I don't really store fat in my waist. I barely gained an inch on my waist. I gained inches in my lower half from gaining 20 lbs and some in my chest. But I don't have back fat either. But I have the bone structure for an inverted triangle. I admire the inverted triangle shape and I kind of see myself as one but with a defined waist. I didn't know that was all it took my bone structure to know my shape. I always was doing other body shape calculators. I got top heavy/inverted triangle on one the rest were hourglass.

thanks for your advice.

To be honest when/if you drop your waist to 23 inches you can pretty much count on your bust and hips moving as well.You may find that, since you aren't very large/storeing a lot of fat, your bust/waist/hip ratios stay more or less the same, no matter what they may have been before.

That said body fat can skew those online calculators. When I was heavier I was a solid hourglass. Then I lost weight in my waist and bust while my hips stayed mostly the same. Boom, pear. At this stage I can look at myself and the way I'm shaped, ignoring the fatty bits, and say 'yeah, that's a pear shape'.

And also that it doesn't matter. I wear what I like and looks good and beyond that I can't see what use body shape has.

PS: I promise you there are plenty of rulers with D's, or bigger.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    I'm nearly 20. Why?

Your profile says 35. Just wondered if there were was a reason it was brought up. When women have children, some of the hips get wide so I wondered if that was what you were thinking.

And I'm a ruler and I have D's.

thank you I need to change that

my shoulders are 39 inches thank you very much :)
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2gv77zk.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/f23fxg.jpg
    This was before I took biotin at 100 lbs
    http://i42.tinypic.com/311ugxt.jpg
    http://i40.tinypic.com/33birnr.jpg
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2a0kpbq.jpg
    http://i41.tinypic.com/5z0f0o.jpg
    This is how I looked originally like at 84-94 lbs
    http://i39.tinypic.com/nlr8zp.jpg
    http://i43.tinypic.com/1z1hhkk.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/aw6pz.jpg
    this is how I look completely not a ruler. But I guess you're right never will be an hourglass. I'm good with that as long as inverted triangles DO have defined waists

also when I lose weight I lose it in my hips I was a 35-23.8-32 before at my smallest. My bust stays large but my but goes down. I was thinking if I build it up with muscle and flatten my stomach then I could be 36-23-33.
  • bubbliemae
    Options

NVM. i got nothing

Nope. We must all fit into boxes! And when we don't fit into the box we want we must argue about that box until we convince that box to FIT US! SPARTA!

I can kind of see the uses of body shape/type when it comes to clothing, but even then I don't dress for 'pear' I dress for 'Hey, do this look awesome?" I try on stuff, either it looks good and I buy it or it looks bad (Fit, color, fabric, pattern...whatever) and I toss it away. Also body type clothing suggestions seem awful. Everything is telling me to un-emphasize my hips/backside/thighs and I say no! If I could walk into rooms backwards so my *kitten* was the lead I would, screw trying to tone that down. All the patterns, right on my hips! Revolution!

Wait. What?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    also when I lose weight I lose it in my hips I was a 35-23.8-32 before at my smallest. My bust stays large but my but goes down. I was thinking if I build it up with muscle and flatten my stomach then I could be 36-23-33.
    There's no way to target loss, but if you know it's going away from a certain area.. since it has done so before... thank your genetics.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    You're an inverted triangle, and you don't appear to have much of a defined waist. Edited to say: looking at your pictures including your bust and shoulders, you definitely taper from top to bottom.
  • bubbliemae
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! I agree, curvy is beautiful!!! I have a big butt and hips, and tho I have pounds to lose, I like my booty and my curves!

I can't believe I just spent all this time reading about all this... REALLY??? IS IT THAT IMPORTANT??? I guess I just don't get it!

I'll really blow your mind because I think you are an upside down triangle.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!