How do I know if I have wide hips or not?

Options

Replies

• Ideal362433
    Options
    lmao. Ruler body shapes seem boring? Are you kidding me? LMAO. well..okay then. Best of luck OP.

Personally I think all body types are interesting and I can't believe how obsessed people are with labeling themselves. Does it make them happier to know they have an interesting body shape? Does it make them important? Does their shape translate to them being interesting even if they have a bad personality?

How does body shape define people as the person they are?

well no you guys have smaller bodies which is nice. My mom's a banana she's beautiful. But she also doesn't have a pancake butt.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    lmao. Ruler body shapes seem boring? Are you kidding me? LMAO. well..okay then. Best of luck OP.

Personally I think all body types are interesting and I can't believe how obsessed people are with labeling themselves. Does it make them happier to know they have an interesting body shape? Does it make them important? Does their shape translate to them being interesting even if they have a bad personality?

well no you guys have smaller bodies which is nice. My mom's a banana she's beautiful. But she also doesn't have a pancake butt.

I have a bit of a flat butt going but I'm determined that when I reach my body fat % goal, it wont be that flat. Squats, lunges and deadlifts. Thank goodness for weight training!!! Body recomp ftw :D
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    Somewhere online I once found a site that used about 6 or 8 shapes instead of just 3. It included a cello ( a larger hourgalss), and a lollipop ( a slighltly topheavy hourglass with long thin legs). I would love to find these descriptions again, since they seem to give more options. I seemed to be a lollipop, which made much more sense than the hourglass.

Not that any of it really matters!!

lollipops aren't hourglass shaped. They're top heavy... I'm actually a lollipop but that's not one of the standard shapes which I prefer.

I am not sure why you are making this so difficult. Your question has been answered. No, you do not have 10 inches or more difference between your bust-waist-hips. You are not hourglass. You do not have "wide hips." You look like an inverted triangle. The end.

lollipops are inverted triangles therefore I am both. What don't you understand?

Lollipops have broad shoulders narrow hips big breasts slight waists and slim legs everything I am. But it's not a popular shape. But I do like the name more than inverted triangle.

Look at a lollipop there's nothing hourglass about it at all.
  • Ideal362433
    Options

I have a bit of a flat butt going but I'm determined that when I reach my body fat % goal, it wont be that flat. Squats, lunges and deadlifts. Thank goodness for weight training!!! Body recomp ftw :D

I personally like the double edge sword of an inverted triangle...

It is athletic and a powerful build yet it still possesses woman curves. By that I mean the boobs. You don't have to have a boy figure and have an athletic build when you're an inverted triangle. Rectangle works well on my mom because she's little like a china doll. So it's cute but just not really what my personality is not who I am. I think it describes me well my body shape if it makes sense lol. I do like the benefits of rectangle bottom halves though I like waist definition.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

It is athletic and a powerful build yet it still possesses woman curves. By that I mean the boobs. You don't have to have a boy figure and have an athletic build when you're an inverted triangle. Rectangle works well on my mom because she's little like a china doll. So it's cute but just not really what my personality is not who I am. I think it describes me well my body shape if it makes sense lol. I do like the benefits of rectangle bottom halves though I like waist definition.

Rulers/bananas/rectangles..whatever you want to call it..they do have waist definition btw. Some not as much as others. rulers aren't all the same..there are variances.

That's another reason I don't get the hype with the shape crap. And earlier you said rulers and such aren't top heavy. I think you have some skewed ideas about body shapes.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    to me you dont have big hips at all but if you want to know enter your measurements here http://www.calculator.net/body-type-calculator.html to find out what type of body you have

That calculator told me I'm a banana even though my bust and hips measurement are exactly the same and my waist is 8 inches less (ie your standard hourglass).

I'm confuuuuuused!! :huh:

Does it really matter?

No, not in the slightest. Bananas are cool. :tongue:

After your comment I decided to try that calculatorm, even though I already know what shape I am :laugh: ... I am 37-27-37, and it told me "Sorry your body does not fit in the 4 types we calculate" or something like that :huh:

Funny! Well Mrs Emily No-Body, I'm Madame Emma Banana. Nice to meet you!
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    I'm just curious in some clothing my hips look so dang flat in others they seem to curve somewhat. As I've gained more weight by taking biotin it hasn't been helping now I look more straight up and before when I didn't take biotin and while I was still a healthy weight of 100 lbs my hips actually curved in some clothing at least. I'm wondering is it possible at all that my lower half is curved? My hips are 33" my waist is 25 trying to get it back down to 24 though. When I was really skinny I was 24-32 waist to hip ratio though. It's not a perfect ratio but its not like .8 or anything. Do I have hips at all? What body shape would you say I was?

This is at my skinniest
    http://i39.tinypic.com/10ic6xu.jpg
    This is at my heaviest without biotin.
    http://i40.tinypic.com/ih08pk.jpg
    Also apart of my hips actually is included with my butt which is medium to large idk if its included.
    http://i41.tinypic.com/9gzzls.jpg

Wait, are you saying that biotin makes the hips wider? OMG, I am dumping that sh%&!!!

I read that it can contribute to weight gain don't quote me on it though.

I gained 6 lbs on it in 6 months I've heard others had worst incidence with it. It's not that bad for me I'm still using it I'm just exercising with it.
  • Ideal362433
    Options

Rulers/bananas/rectangles..whatever you want to call it..they do have waist definition btw. Some not as much as others. rulers aren't all the same..there are variances.

That's another reason I don't get the hype with the shape crap. And earlier you said rulers and such aren't top heavy. I think you have some skewed ideas about body shapes.

calculators and other websites who describe the shape are skewed too I guess.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    to me you dont have big hips at all but if you want to know enter your measurements here http://www.calculator.net/body-type-calculator.html to find out what type of body you have

That calculator told me I'm a banana even though my bust and hips measurement are exactly the same and my waist is 8 inches less (ie your standard hourglass).

I'm confuuuuuused!! :huh:

Standard hourglass is 10" or more difference

I'm TRYING!:wink:
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    also when I lose weight I lose it in my hips I was a 35-23.8-32 before at my smallest. My bust stays large but my but goes down. I was thinking if I build it up with muscle and flatten my stomach then I could be 36-23-33.
    There's no way to target loss, but if you know it's going away from a certain area.. since it has done so before... thank your genetics.

If I work out my abs and build up my glutes that doesn't work how not?
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    I would definitely NOT say you had wide hips. You look awesome!

• arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    at my heaviest my hips where 49 in. Now there 36.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    also when I lose weight I lose it in my hips I was a 35-23.8-32 before at my smallest. My bust stays large but my but goes down. I was thinking if I build it up with muscle and flatten my stomach then I could be 36-23-33.
    There's no way to target loss, but if you know it's going away from a certain area.. since it has done so before... thank your genetics.

Working out your abs isn't going to change your hips. And gaining muscle in your glute area (or any area) is a lot harder than you think. it takes time and a lot of hard work - i.e. heavy lifting and doing bulk and cutting cycles.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    Yes you have a nice shape. Keep doing whatever your doing.

• Ideal362433
    Options

Working out your abs isn't going to change your hips. And gaining muscle in your glute area (or any area) is a lot harder than you think. it takes time and a lot of hard work - i.e. heavy lifting and doing bulk and cutting cycles.

It's odd I'm a mesomorph but it's hard for me to gain weight. Like I bulk up muscle like hell but gaining fat is a hard task. My mom's the same and her dad is a true mesomorph he gains fat and muscle quite easily if he's sedentary or when he was a bodybuilder...

So yeah, gaining muscle wouldn't be that hard for me. I have strong legs to begin with

At 9 I was very muscular from dancing ballet swimming and gymnastics. I bulk up actually too much for my liking and that was when I was 9.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

It's odd I'm a mesomorph but it's hard for me to gain weight. Like I bulk up muscle like hell but gaining fat is a hard task. My mom's the same and her dad is a true mesomorph he gains fat and muscle quite easily if he's sedentary or when he was a bodybuilder...

So yeah, gaining muscle wouldn't be that hard for me.

That's so not true...lol. You cannot just bulk easy unless you are on steroids.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

So yeah, gaining muscle wouldn't be that hard for me. I have strong legs to begin with

At 9 I was very muscular from dancing ballet swimming and gymnastics. I bulk up actually too much for my liking and that was when I was 9.

Oh.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

Oh.

:laugh:
  • Ideal362433
    Options

What do you mean by bulk?

What I mean is toning up.

Which as a mesomorph I can easily manage.

And plus I saw my mom would bulk up easily to the point she looked more like an inverted triangle shape.

Anyway my reality isn't yours. If you don't know this to be true I don't really care.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

What do you mean by bulk?

What I mean is toning up.

Which as a mesomorph I can easily manage.

And plus I saw my mom would bulk up easily to the point she looked more like an inverted triangle shape.

Anyway my reality isn't yours. If you don't know this to be true I don't really care.

I hope your reality includes things like science...if it does, than I stand by my answer. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!