The Miley Cyrus Eruption

Options
14567810»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If she isn't embarrassed by the performance (or the original video) yet, she will be when she is older. And if she isn't embarrassed by it when she is older, then that will not be a good sign for her emotional and mental growth. The hope is that she is young and her brain isn't fully developed and she is making the choice to not further develop her talents as an artist and instead to do whatever it is she is trying to do right now. But, what she is doing right now, requires no talent.

Just because you didn't enjoy her performance doesn't mean that *she* should be "embarrassed." She should be proud of being one of the opening acts on the VMAs. Her dad is proud, and all her fans loved it. You are acting like she committed a crime or something. She did a pop music routine on MTV! BFD! :smokin:

Well, that's an over reaction. I don't think she committed a crime, not even close. Please do not put such ridiculous words into my mouth. I know the difference between doing something embarrassing and committing a crime. I would never ever ever describe a crime as being embarrassing. When I hear crime, I think of violent crime of a human against another human. Why would you even go there? Wow!

You are right, it's just my opinion. When I watched the VMA and her music video it was difficult for me to watch because I was cringing, imagining her watching it when she was 30, and I felt embarrassed for her and I found that uncomfortable. But, if she doesn't grow out of this "phase" then it's not going to go well for her long term career (in my opinion). I would not consider that to be a crime. there are no laws against it, no prosecutor would ever take the "case", there would be no case, there is no penalty and no jail time.

I think it's an over-reaction to feel embarrassment over this. :laugh: :wink:

Well, I guess just because I'm a dancer. And I know that what she did is an embarrassment to actually doing something with talent. Instead of building on her talents, she is choosing to do stuff that takes no talent. She made a public fool of herself. I disagree with the concept that any publicity is good publicity. That is only true if the person has only the goal of being famous and talked about just for that fact alone. But, it's not true for an artist in the development of a successful career and in which they grow into adulthood and are respected in their field as a talented artist

The fact is that all artists are going to do things that some people will love and others will hate. That kind of polarization is a fact of life among innovative or Avant Garde artists. But, there was no artistry, or innovation in what Miley did. It was a sell out.

Meh... I'm someone with no talent for dancing. If I were to get on stage, then feel free to be embarrassed. :laugh:

Miss Cyrus looked cute, imo.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    how did this thread make it past the first page. let this thread die like hannah montana did.

Khaaan.gif

Don't tell me what to do! :angry:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    how did this thread make it past the first page. let this thread die like hannah montana did.

Khaaan.gif

Don't tell me what to do! :angry:

That seems like a pretty heavy way to end a children's television show...How did it happen?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Well, I guess just because I'm a dancer. And I know that what she did is an embarrassment to actually doing something with talent. Instead of building on her talents, she is choosing to do stuff that takes no talent. She made a public fool of herself. I disagree with the concept that any publicity is good publicity. That is only true if the person has only the goal of being famous and talked about just for that fact alone. But, it's not true for an artist in the development of a successful career and in which they grow into adulthood and are respected in their field as a talented artist

The fact is that all artists are going to do things that some people will love and others will hate. That kind of polarization is a fact of life among innovative or Avant Garde artists. But, there was no artistry, or innovation in what Miley did. It was a sell out.
    hheeeeeeeeeeerm I'm going to say speak for yourself.
    I'm a dancer too.

If I was there I probably would have been like- girl- I know you can afford some lessons... but let's be real- this wasn't about dancing -it never was.

So it doesn't bother me in the least- twerking is a talent on it's own- I'm not sure I consider it truly dance- and grinding certainly isn't "dance" . No one would ever confuse what I or any of my fellow dancers/troup mates/friends do for what she did- or assume she put in the time to do what we do. no question.

what she did has no impact on me whatsoever- certainly not embarrassed and certainly am not offended by her non-dance- dance.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Facebook, Twitter, MFP, Yahoo, and I am sure everywhere else on the internet is on fire with discussion about Miley Cyrus and her VMA show. With all of this discussion I am a little surprised to see that there is one angle that has yet to be discussed.

Why is this shocking at all? This is hardly the first time something like this has been done. Entertainers make their money by pushing the envelope and doing things that we have not seen them do before. Not only do we seem to expect it we also demand it. If an entertainer becomes old hat they run the risk of being seen as stale. In an effort to avoid that entertainers keep ramping up the crazy.

The entire entertainment industry is behaving exactly the way we have trained it to. Sometimes a performer will flop like Miley did but sometimes their strangeness will be embraced and it will turn in to a cult following and truth be told it is too soon to tell what will become of Miley in the long run. Sure she might not have had immediate success but her name is out there and for as many people seem to hate her for what she did there are just as many that seem to love her for it.

The celebrities that are lampooning her now might just ask her to come on to their shows tomorrow. Miley may yet be able sell out theaters one day she might even get her own show. Is it really that hard to believe? Look at Honey Boo Boo, that is a show with no intellectual value at all. It is a dry well that glorifies stupidity and yet it still has a large following of people who watch it regularly.

Let me be perfectly clear, I am not a fan of Miley Cyrus or Honey Boo Boo but there is one thing I have learned over the years is I am more often than not the minority opinion on just about everything. So you can like or hate her performance but if you are one of the many people that is saying that you are "shocked" than I have to wonder where you have been over the years.

Thank you!! She had a bad performance! Who cares?! The only reason people are pissed about it is because she was a disney kid. She's not doing anything tons of other 20 year olds aren't doing. If you don't like what you see, turn the channel.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    NOBODY CARES. And if they do, they have no life.

This
  • kalieah
    kalieah Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    funny thing is she gets pay to do what she does, and all the people hating aren't.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    NOBODY CARES. And if they do, they have no life.

This

Yet you both not only saw the thread title, opened the thread, read it and took the time to comment.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I'm a dancer too.

If I was there I probably would have been like- girl- I know you can afford some lessons... but let's be real- this wasn't about dancing -it never was.

So it doesn't bother me in the least- twerking is a talent on it's own- I'm not sure I consider it truly dance- and grinding certainly isn't "dance" . No one would ever confuse what I or any of my fellow dancers/troup mates/friends do for what she did- or assume she put in the time to do what we do. no question.

what she did has no impact on me whatsoever- certainly not embarrassed and certainly am not offended by her non-dance- dance.

It's really not that serious.

I get it. Some of you liked the performance for reasons I am not able to comprehend.

Well, I didn't like it. I thought it was crap. That's my opinion. End of story for me on that. I think it's ridiculous what she is doing for a large number of reasons. I'm not offended in the least.

So, yes, I am speaking for myself. I never said I wasn't. And it's not important to me at all. I don't care. I saw the video because people were discussing it on mfp (none of my friends even mentioned it on fb because it's so ridiculously not important). And I made a comment of my opinion on this message board. It's over now. I'd like to move on.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    One thing she TOTALLY doesn't understand is how to manipulate your tonge into something sexy. She looked a bit rabid.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

I'm a dancer too.

I get it. Some of you liked the performance for reasons I am not able to comprehend.

Well, I didn't like it. I thought it was crap. That's my opinion. End of story for me on that. I think it's ridiculous what she is doing for a large number of reasons. I'm not offended in the least.

So, yes, I am speaking for myself. I never said I wasn't. And it's not important to me at all. I don't care. I saw the video because people were discussing it on mfp (none of my friends even mentioned it on fb because it's so ridiculously not important). And I made a comment of my opinion on this message board. It's over now. I'd like to move on.

Would probably be easier to "move on" if you stopped opening the thread and commenting on it. Just saying.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    And I know that what she did is an embarrassment to actually doing something with talent.

Your original comment implied otherwise - but hey whatever- as noted- feel free to not keep coming back :D

You don't have to like it. I didn't like it- I never said I did. I just think it's amusing- and I think everyone's reactions as a whole are wildly over the top for no reason at all. I just don't think it's as insulting to everyone who dances ever.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to see the whole thing, but what I saw made me feel dirty. I wasn't shocked that something like that happened on the vmas, nor was I shocked that she did it. It just was creepy to me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    And I know that what she did is an embarrassment to actually doing something with talent.

Your original comment implied otherwise - but hey whatever- as noted- feel free to not keep coming back :D

You don't have to like it. I didn't like it- I never said I did. I just think it's amusing- and I think everyone's reactions as a whole are wildly over the top for no reason at all. I just don't think it's as insulting to everyone who dances ever.

I think this must be just a misunderstanding. I don't think what she did has any bearing on anyone else that dances or anything like that. Of course, I do not consider what she did to be dancing. I only mentioned dance because that is what I do. It was however a music show, which I would think should involve music and dance that would be interesting to watch. I made a comment, people responded, I attempted to reply (not sure why I did). But, honestly it was not something I put a lot of deep thought into, or cared much about.

I only think (possibly mistakenly) that when she grows up, if she grows up (and doesn't just get stuck in a no talent direction with her life) that she will look back on this and cringe about the silly choices she made for a performance in her youth. I really don't know how else to explain it. Not sure why that's so difficult to understand or why people are blowing it out of proportion to mean all different other things (a crime as one person said, an insult to all dance as you perceived). Probably just projecting onto me the whole of the reactions you all have seen to the performance. So, just understand that you are misunderstanding what I said and turning it into something I never said. I am responding to attempt to clear that up.

In the future I will just not comment on threads like this at all.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I think this must be just a misunderstanding. I don't think what she did has any bearing on anyone else that dances or anything like that. Of course, I do not consider what she did to be dancing. I only mentioned dance because that is what I do. It was however a music show, which I would think should involve music and dance that would be interesting to watch. I made a comment, people responded, I attempted to reply (not sure why I did). But, honestly it was not something I put a lot of deep thought into, or cared much about.

I only think (possibly mistakenly) that when she grows up, if she grows up (and doesn't just get stuck in a no talent direction with her life) that she will look back on this and cringe about the silly choices she made for a performance in her youth. I really don't know how else to explain it. Not sure why that's so difficult to understand or why people are blowing it out of proportion to mean all different other things (a crime as one person said, an insult to all dance as you perceived). Probably just projecting onto me the whole of the reactions you all have seen to the performance. So, just understand that you are misunderstanding what I said and turning it into something I never said. I am responding to attempt to clear that up.

maybe.

I agree she probably will look back and cringe- well at least if she has kids she will. who knows- some people never grow up.

I apologize for misunderstanding you then- the implication didn't transfer well.
    Meh- post away- that's part of a forum/discussion community- if everyone posts everything agreeing with everyone it wouldn't' be very interesting at all!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

maybe.

I agree she probably will look back and cringe- well at least if she has kids she will. who knows- some people never grow up.

I apologize for misunderstanding you then- the implication didn't transfer well.
    Meh- post away- that's part of a forum/discussion community- if everyone posts everything agreeing with everyone it wouldn't' be very interesting at all!

:flowerforyou:

Oh, also, while I'm here... I just read this article by Bret Contreras about her booty: http://bretcontreras.com/lets-get-miley-cyrus-some-booty/
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    One thing she TOTALLY doesn't understand is how to manipulate your tongue into something sexy. She looked a bit rabid.

I think she was trying to imitate the goat from the Blurred Lines video and somehow make it sexy. Obviously that was a failed attempt, but that is the only possible reason I can think of for her to make that face so often.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Oh, also, while I'm here... I just read this article by Bret Contreras about her booty: http://bretcontreras.com/lets-get-miley-cyrus-some-booty/

LOL

yeah- she is totally lacking the bootay- that letter is funny.

That being said GAWD that girl is gorgous- that picture in the nude gown he has on the page- sweet baby jesus- her make up artist is a god. I'm always amazed by how good she constantly looks.

her and taylor swift- I hate taylor swift with a passion- firey passion- but damn she has amazing make up!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

LOL

yeah- she is totally lacking the bootay- that letter is funny.

That being said GAWD that girl is gorgous- that picture in the nude gown he has on the page- sweet baby jesus- her make up artist is a god. I'm always amazed by how good she constantly looks.

her and taylor swift- I hate taylor swift with a passion- firey passion- but damn she has amazing make up!

I do think she is beautiful also.
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bravo! well said. I'm totally with you.