Feeling Hungry? Drink Diet Coke

Options
It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

There's a tip for you. :) Good luck!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

Whats wrong with eating late at night. As long as it fits in your calories you are good. Meal timing and frequency have no impact on weight loss. Also, in some cases aspartame have been linked to increase hunger.. So thoughts on that?

ps- my preferred snack is a klondike bar.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

I prefer to have a healthier snack like fruit with 1tsp of peanut butter.

If it works for you, congratulations

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't like fizzy drinks other than carbonated water so have this with a slice of lime or lemon or just drink still water.

I snack on raw cauliflower and broccoli
  • Secretsundays
    Options

Whats wrong with eating late at night. As long as it fits in your calories you are good. Meal timing and frequency have no impact on weight loss. Also, in some cases aspartame have been linked to increase hunger.. So thoughts on that?

I've always been taught that eating late makes you gain weight because the food you eat late won't be burned off by any daily activity. Diet coke doesn't make me feel hungry though. It fills me up (and some of my friends too).
  • Secretsundays
    Options
    I don't like fizzy drinks other than carbonated water so have this with a slice of lime or lemon or just drink still water.

I snack on raw cauliflower and broccoli
    Ooh, thats a good idea too. Do you like jelly? I also have low calorie jelly when I'm hungry.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    This wouldn't be a good tip for me.. I won't touch diet coke again after it gave me a serious delhi belly a few weeks back! Not to mention the caffeine aspect on it disturbing sleep. I think there are much better low cal ways to stave off a bit of hunger. And if you plan your meals well enough there's no need to end up hungry anyway..
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

I've always been taught that eating late makes you gain weight because the food you eat late won't be burned off by any daily activity. Diet coke doesn't make me feel hungry though. It fills me up (and some of my friends too).

No thats not true. As long as you maintain a calories deficit you will lose weight
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I actually do this, not that I feel hungry late at night but Im always in the mood for something. So I drink Diet coke with my dinner then I will have a glass and it will last me the rest of the night. I never feel the need to eat and Im quite happy to have something with flavour. Wouldnt recommend it for everyone but I like it
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.

If you're hungry, eat a healthy snack...hummus and fresh veggies. An apple with almond butter.

Sometimes hunger pangs is actually your body saying it's dehydrated. Have a big glass of water.

And if you are eating small meals every two hours you won't have a problem :)

Here's one link of MANY that shows just how bad it is for you.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda
  • lesinseattle
    lesinseattle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I agree, however I don't like the sodium or caffeine so I drink Diet Rite sugar free cola available at Wal Mart if I am in the US and Cott sugar free cola from save-on Foods in Canada. Cheers!
  • Dansmash321
    Options
    Spend half an hour reading about aspartame and you will be scared. I (like 2 days ago) decided I am no longer going to drink Diet Coke or chew sugarless gum. I have been counting calories for a long time (down from 260 lbs to 190 lbs) and have been maintaining at this weight for a while. But it (Aspartame) can mess with your central nervous system, mess up glucose levels and contribute to diabetes, make you hungry, etc. The list goes on.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.

If you're hungry, eat a healthy snack...hummus and fresh veggies. An apple with almond butter.

Sometimes hunger pangs is actually your body saying it's dehydrated. Have a big glass of water.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the scare tactics were going to surface in this thread.
  • Geminieve24
    Options

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the scare tactics were going to surface in this thread.

Sorry if it was percieved as scary; I'd rather be informed than anything. But I did provide some better alternatives to drinking diet coke. Like healthy food. Water. :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry,

I drink diet soda and I agree that it helps keep me feeling full. However, there is nothing wrong with eating late at night as long as you're within your calorie goal. I usually have a snack RIGHT before I go to bed. I eat the majority of my calories in the evenings. If I am extra hungry, and don't have any calories left for the day, I'll drink a diet soda :drinker:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Sorry if it was percieved as scary; I'd rather be informed than anything. But I did provide some better alternatives to drinking diet coke. Like healthy food. Water. :)

Diet Coke does not scare me, but others continue to use scare tactics to persuade others that if they drink diet coke (or other items with aspartame) they are going to have all of these horrible issues. If you want to be informed, research something other then msn.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

1 diet coke per day won't do anything, do you eat food cooked on an outdoor grill? CANCER!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

Phew! Good thing I drink Coke Zero instead. :wink:
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Excellent accurate information & advice. We all have to find our own way to overcome habits we find unhealthy, but hopefully not by replacing them with another unhealthy habit. Good Luck in finding the the answer for yourself & don't forget to brush your teeth after that soda:flowerforyou:

• Luvleanliving
    Options
    DO NOT BELEIVE THIS....diet coke is really not that great and it makes you crave sugar. If you are hungry, eat a healthy 100 calorie snack that is low in sugar. If you are craving sugar, eat some fruit or a sweet vegetable.
  • Geminieve24
    Options

Diet Coke does not scare me, but others continue to use scare tactics to persuade others that if they drink diet coke (or other items with aspartame) they are going to have all of these horrible issues. If you want to be informed, research something other then msn.

Don't see as a scare tactic then. See it as information and then decide for yourself. Regardless of the source: MSN, FOX, CNN, BBC, Washington Times, LA times, the information is out there. I'd be more than happy to pull up peer-reviewed journals and articles from an educational institution or research facility if you like. Of course, anything in excess is bad for you. But being this is a public site and a public bulletin, then expect opposing views :)