Feeling Hungry? Drink Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't know if diet soda makes you fat, but I will pass on any food product that has to put a warning on the label that it might give you a seizure. Also, that stuff tastes HORRID. I'll stick to seltzer if I need carbonation.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    This would be okay if caffeine didn't affect you?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I prefer Coke Zero or Pepsi Max. I don't usually have any because it's expensive and if it's in the house we'll drink it faster. If I'm hungry at night and I have no calories left I go to bed. If I'm hungry and I have calories left, I eat.
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    I rarely drink soda, like seriously maybe three times a year and I only sip and never drink the whole thing. Water quenches my thirst. Back on topic. I used to drink diet soda in the past when I was young and it always gave me cravings, just like coffee. I would much rather eat food or drink water. My husband on the other hand drinks tons of caffeine and sweet drinks and doesn't have any weight issues, he drinks the regular stuff and not the low sugar kind.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Why drink CHEMICALS even if no-one has filed a law suit yet? Do we really need to wait for a multimillion dollar law suit to tell us that eating and drinking the stuff used in radiator fluid is bad for our health??

Do you want to be thin or do you want to live long and be healthy?

Water (H2O) is a chemical. Simple fact.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i will take water thanks but not thanks
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Umm... maybe some coke zero. With rum. That's a lot better.

sounds even better
  • laurachavis96
    Options
    Try eating a few almonds. they have protein, good fat, and curb your appetite. Also try eating a few,
    about 6, before a meal. That also helps fill you and help you eat less. By the way, the carbonation in soda leaches calcium from your bones, so make sure soda is in moderation and take calcium supplements.
  • laurachavis96
    Options
    Try eating a few almonds. they have protein, good fat, and curb your appetite. Also try eating a few,
    about 6, before a meal. That also helps fill you and help you eat less. By the way, the carbonation in soda leaches calcium from your bones, so make sure soda is in moderation and take calcium supplements. One more thing about diet soda, it has a high sodium content so it can make you retain water.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Green tea is loaded with awesomeness, makes you feel full and fights fat.

It also gives your body something to work on during the night.

^^^This. Herbal tea hot. Herbal tea cold.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.

If you're hungry, eat a healthy snack...hummus and fresh veggies. An apple with almond butter.

Sometimes hunger pangs is actually your body saying it's dehydrated. Have a big glass of water.

And if you are eating small meals every two hours you won't have a problem :)

Here's one link of MANY that shows just how bad it is for you.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the scare tactics were going to surface in this thread.

Sorry if it was percieved as scary; I'd rather be informed than anything. But I did provide some better alternatives to drinking diet coke. Like healthy food. Water. :)

Diet Coke does not scare me, but others continue to use scare tactics to persuade others that if they drink diet coke (or other items with aspartame) they are going to have all of these horrible issues. If you want to be informed, research something other then msn.

Don't see as a scare tactic then. See it as information and then decide for yourself. Regardless of the source: MSN, FOX, CNN, BBC, Washington Times, LA times, the information is out there. I'd be more than happy to pull up peer-reviewed journals and articles from an educational institution or research facility if you like. Of course, anything in excess is bad for you. But being this is a public site and a public bulletin, then expect opposing views :)

How does diet soda lead to obesity???
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas have long been associated with weight gain and diabetes. I always attributed that to psychological factors -- as in, people drink diet coke and it makes them feel entitled to extra calories, so they ultimately end up eating more than if they had just drunk regular soda.

Latest research, however, appears to indicate that the reasons are far more sinister. Diet sodas actually mess up your brain chemistry. The exact mechanism is complicated, but basically here is what happens: you intake something that tastes sweet, so your body prepares to metabolize sugar. Except you don't actually give it sugar. If you do this on a regular basis, your body will learn its lesson. So when you consume real sugar (which is contained in most foods), your organism doesn't bother processing it. This leads to weight gain and increases your risk for diabetes.

This is not "scare tactics". I've got no dog in this fight. If you think 12 oz a day isn't gonna mess up your sugar metabolism, go ahead and drink it. You may be right. But from my own perspective, why risk it? Thing is, this stuff is bad for you, so I'd rather not drink it at all.

tumblr_m0qr5sbi0t1qgcra2o1_500.gif
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I usually grill a ribeye when I am hungry late at night.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    about 6, before a meal. That also helps fill you and help you eat less. By the way, the carbonation in soda leaches calcium from your bones, so make sure soda is in moderation and take calcium supplements. One more thing about diet soda, it has a high sodium content so it can make you retain water.
    How does the carbonation leach calcium from the bones? I thought direct contact had to occur?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Why drink CHEMICALS even if no-one has filed a law suit yet? Do we really need to wait for a multimillion dollar law suit to tell us that eating and drinking the stuff used in radiator fluid is bad for our health??

Do you want to be thin or do you want to live long and be healthy?

Water (H2O) is a chemical. Simple fact.
    THIS! Oh my good gravy, this!
    I just ate my nice filling lunch and now I'm drinking a Coke Zero, so if y'all don't ever hear from me again, you know what happened... :explode:
  • AutumnisBSB
    AutumnisBSB Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just drink a glass of straigh parrot bay rum and go to bed.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas have long been associated with weight gain and diabetes. I always attributed that to psychological factors -- as in, people drink diet coke and it makes them feel entitled to extra calories, so they ultimately end up eating more than if they had just drunk regular soda.

Latest research, however, appears to indicate that the reasons are far more sinister. Diet sodas actually mess up your brain chemistry. The exact mechanism is complicated, but basically here is what happens: you intake something that tastes sweet, so your body prepares to metabolize sugar. Except you don't actually give it sugar. If you do this on a regular basis, your body will learn its lesson. So when you consume real sugar (which is contained in most foods), your organism doesn't bother processing it. This leads to weight gain and increases your risk for diabetes.

This is not "scare tactics". I've got no dog in this fight. If you think 12 oz a day isn't gonna mess up your sugar metabolism, go ahead and drink it. You may be right. But from my own perspective, why risk it? Thing is, this stuff is bad for you, so I'd rather not drink it at all.

gil-head-explode-again.gif?w=660
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So much misinformation in this thread.... so.much
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The problem is that for many people, artificial sweetners make the body actually crave more sugar. This is basically because the body is being told "here comes the sugar", but it is let down when there is no actual sugar to digest. Now all those chemicals are floating around wondering WTF happened...which can lead to craving more sugar. You would accomplish the same effect by drinking a huge glass of water.
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says diet coke is a "healthy" snack when feeling hungry is a bit ridiculous(and I know a few people who swear by it). All you have to do is look what is in the stuff to know that it is FAR from healthy. lol.
    I agree that there are much better options out there; however, to each his own, I suppose.