Feeling Hungry? Drink Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I think it's the carbonation that fills you. I drink 'bubbly water' with lemon or lime for the same effect (without additive chemicals - I have to be careful due to my chronic migraines)]
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Why not drink water?
  • skcarrion
    Options
    Thank you! I was going to dig out a similar article.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.

sorry to burst your bubble, but if aspartame could be proven to be harmful, dontcha think all the trial lawyers in the world would be lined up to cash in on the biggest class action lawsuit in history?

I have been drinking 3-4 coke zero's a day for the last 5 years. In that time, I lost nearly 80 lbs, improved my blood pressure and cholesterol, and my pearly whites are gleaming.

Quit fearmongering.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    ew aspartame
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Don't see as a scare tactic then. See it as information and then decide for yourself. Regardless of the source: MSN, FOX, CNN, BBC, Washington Times, LA times, the information is out there. I'd be more than happy to pull up peer-reviewed journals and articles from an educational institution or research facility if you like. Of course, anything in excess is bad for you. But being this is a public site and a public bulletin, then expect opposing views :)

tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • doubleohstatus
    Options
    Couple being at a caloric deficit with intermittent fasting and weight loss becomes really easy, plus you burn all kinds of fat! :D
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

There's a tip for you. :) Good luck!

Diet Coke makes me crave sweets, so no thanks.

By the way, eat whenever you want. Timing really doesn't have much to do with weight loss.
  • rla331
    rla331 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    People are so judgmental!! She didn't say she was living off of diet coke. She said sometimes she has one at night if she's feeling hungry. Good grief! If you like the tip, good if you don't...then good. Don't do it.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to drink to satisfy hunger it is most definitely going to be water now....

As far as eating late at night.... Last night I went to prayers, but didn't have time to eat before leaving the house. I got home at 8:45 and had a smoked chicken breast, corn and potato's and when I got up this morning I was down a pound. I think you need to be more concerned with your calories for the day, then the time of day you eat them (just my 2 cents).
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Green tea is loaded with awesomeness, makes you feel full and fights fat.

It also gives your body something to work on during the night.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

Or you could plan your meals in a way that helps keep you from feeling so hungry later in the day... or eat when you are hungry... and incorporate working out.

Though a good shot of Diet Pepsi (sorry, diet Coke is just gross) does do some good in quelling hunger.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I'll often have a diet soda in the afternoons, to curb my sweet tooth. It's better than eating a pound of jelly beans. No coke for me, though. I go for the good stuff... lately I've been on the Jone's Zilch Black Cherry
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.

If you're hungry, eat a healthy snack...hummus and fresh veggies. An apple with almond butter.

Sometimes hunger pangs is actually your body saying it's dehydrated. Have a big glass of water.

And if you are eating small meals every two hours you won't have a problem :)

Here's one link of MANY that shows just how bad it is for you.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the scare tactics were going to surface in this thread.

This^
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I have already been doing this! If I get a little hungry in the afternoon, one Coke Zero will keep me feeling full until dinner.
  • AnorexicAnomaly
    Options

If you're hungry, eat a healthy snack...hummus and fresh veggies. An apple with almond butter.

Sometimes hunger pangs is actually your body saying it's dehydrated. Have a big glass of water.

And if you are eating small meals every two hours you won't have a problem :)

Here's one link of MANY that shows just how bad it is for you.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the scare tactics were going to surface in this thread.

Sorry if it was percieved as scary; I'd rather be informed than anything. But I did provide some better alternatives to drinking diet coke. Like healthy food. Water. :)

Diet Coke does not scare me, but others continue to use scare tactics to persuade others that if they drink diet coke (or other items with aspartame) they are going to have all of these horrible issues. If you want to be informed, research something other then msn.

Don't see as a scare tactic then. See it as information and then decide for yourself. Regardless of the source: MSN, FOX, CNN, BBC, Washington Times, LA times, the information is out there. I'd be more than happy to pull up peer-reviewed journals and articles from an educational institution or research facility if you like. Of course, anything in excess is bad for you. But being this is a public site and a public bulletin, then expect opposing views :)

The source is actually extremely important, especially on the internet and especially when you're looking up medical and/or scientific information on the internet. There are specific places that are okay to look. MSN, FOX, CNN, BBC, Washington Times, and the LA Times are not appropriate places to look for medical/scientific information. The appropriate places to look would be Johns Hopkins or Mayo Clinic. For example, this http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073 would be an appropriate link as it gives accurate information on all sugar substitutes as well as pros and cons of both sugar substitutes and real sugar. Hope this helps :wink:
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is an appetite suppressant. Diet Coke is high in caffeine. Same effect could probably be had from coffee or similar for those that are worried about aspartame.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Whats wrong with eating late at night. As long as it fits in your calories you are good. Meal timing and frequency have no impact on weight loss. Also, in some cases aspartame have been linked to increase hunger.. So thoughts on that?

I've always been taught that eating late makes you gain weight because the food you eat late won't be burned off by any daily activity. Diet coke doesn't make me feel hungry though. It fills me up (and some of my friends too).

No thats not true. As long as you maintain a calories deficit you will lose weight

Correct, meal timing has no affect on weight loss. Eat when you want. I normally eat 1200-1400 calories between the hours of 6pm-10pm.

Meh, whatever on the scare tactics. Diet Coke curbs my hunger for some reason, as well. And it's just a tasty treat. I eat at least 2600 calories a day, so I'm rarely hungry though. So it's just more for fizzy goodness than anything. If it works - AND you are eating enough calories (I didn't look at your diary) - then go for it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    DO NOT BELEIVE THIS....diet coke is really not that great and it makes you crave sugar. If you are hungry, eat a healthy 100 calorie snack that is low in sugar. If you are craving sugar, eat some fruit or a sweet vegetable.

This is simply not true.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Really? That's your tip for other people? :noway:

How about this tip: eat real food. Eat enough real food (including FAT-yup it's good for you) to satisfy biological requirements so that struggling with hunger never has to happen. That's the path I chose.

There are many reasons not to line the pockets of Coca Cola; health is just one. Spending less money on unnecessary junk is another.