Feeling Hungry? Drink Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• rla331
    rla331 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    People are so judgmental!! She didn't say she was living off of diet coke. She said sometimes she has one at night if she's feeling hungry. Good grief! If you like the tip, good if you don't...then good. Don't do it.

"Good grief" is right. It's one thing to choose something for oneself. It is quite another to promote/advise it to others. Yes, I will be totally "judgemental" when someone recommends eating anything other than real food when one is hungry.

She's not telling you to do it! You are a big girl, make your own decisions. She's telling people what works for her. This place is supposed to be for helping each other, not tearing people to shreds. Some of you really should be ashamed.
    so when people post in a public forum a tip that we think is bunk, we should all just say "hooooray, great job! Such a great idea! sorry it does not work that way...

I'm sorry, but she does not need to be shredded for it. If you don't agree with it, move on. People are not going out in masses and buying up all the diet coke because of it. And nobody has saved a life here by getting on their high horses and pointing out how dumb it is. Seriously.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,021 Member
    Options
    I t wouldn't work for me but cant see problem with what OP is doing - he/she isn't saying their entire diet consists of diet soda and diet jelly, just that they have those things sometimes at night when they are craving food and stops their cravings without calories.

For whatever reasons, snacking on raw vegies or drinking water doesn't have same effect for OP - fair enough, if it is working for you OP, keep doing it.

I do agree with the others though that timing of meals does not matter for weight loss - however if by evening you have used your calorie quota for the day, then this seems a good strategy for you.

I drink diet coke a few times a week. I did not start doing this until I started trying to lose weight. On those occasions when I used to have a regular sugared drink, I now have a diet soda.
    Am on target to reaching my goal, so will continue doing so - diet soda may cause sugar cravings for some people but this doesn't happen to me or to everyone and presumably not to OP or the tip wouldn't be working for them.

The conspiracy scare tactics will leave in the too silly basket where they belong.

Incidentally I often have coffee before bed - yes I know it has caffeine in it and this may keep some people awake at night - but doesn't do so for me, so no need to change.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I understand that diet coke is not the healthiest option, but for me i look at it as one can of diet coke is better for me than binging because of a craving. For me diet coke curbs the urge to binge. I also never have more than two a day, usually only have one though and sip it very slowly. If you are worried about the caffeine there is caffeine free diet coke although i have not tried it so dont know how it tastes.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Why drink CHEMICALS even if no-one has filed a law suit yet? Do we really need to wait for a multimillion dollar law suit to tell us that eating and drinking the stuff used in radiator fluid is bad for our health??

Do you want to be thin or do you want to live long and be healthy?

Water (H2O) is a chemical. Simple fact.

True, all matter in the universe can be broken down into chemical elements. However, some combinations are naturally occurring and good for you, others are neither naturally occurring or good for you, (aspartame does not exist in nature, humans artificially manipulated the chemical structure of two naturally occurring amino acids (L-aspartic acid and L-phenylalanine) to produce a substance that would otherwise have never occurred. The jury may still be out on whether it is harmful, but it is certainly not natural by any stretch of the imagination.

No one said anything about natural in the comments above yours, just chemicals. Oh, and water is used in radiator fluid, too, so by the first poster's logic, it must be bad for us, too.
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    There's still sodium in it, which makes you gain water weight. So U do gain weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.

If you're hungry, eat a healthy snack...hummus and fresh veggies. An apple with almond butter.

Sometimes hunger pangs is actually your body saying it's dehydrated. Have a big glass of water.

And if you are eating small meals every two hours you won't have a problem :)

Here's one link of MANY that shows just how bad it is for you.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the scare tactics were going to surface in this thread.

Really? Those are scare tactics? i think you need a new definition of what scare tactics are.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

There's a tip for you. :) Good luck!

I'm sorry but this is poor advice. It's known that aspartame can trigger hunger feelings. You're much better off eating some vegetables, fruits, and drinking water. Diet Coke is a poison! Soda in general is NOT a good way to diffuse hunger. It may work for you but it doesn't work for most.
  • ccarew77
    ccarew77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow lesinseattle - Amazing stats!!!!!
  • k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.

If you're hungry, eat a healthy snack...hummus and fresh veggies. An apple with almond butter.

Sometimes hunger pangs is actually your body saying it's dehydrated. Have a big glass of water.

And if you are eating small meals every two hours you won't have a problem :)

Here's one link of MANY that shows just how bad it is for you.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

Ah! The good old fashioned diet coke debate.... here we go... lol :0) x
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Feeling Hungry? Eat.
  • RBrigzy
    RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    One thing that caught my eye!
    I snack on raw cauliflower and broccoli

Oh wow now that is dedication!

Praise you, well done.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Let's forget for a second about whether or not Aspartame is good for you (it's not) and talk about the fact that Diet Soda tastes f**kin' nasty!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    People are so judgmental!! She didn't say she was living off of diet coke. She said sometimes she has one at night if she's feeling hungry. Good grief! If you like the tip, good if you don't...then good. Don't do it.

umm the tip is wrong..you wont gain wait if you eat after 6pm..

sorry but I refute bad advice..

and why not drink water instead?

1. It's ok to have a diet drink
    2. Water doesn't fill you up

It may be the wrong tip for you, but some of us actually enjoy a diet drink once in a while. :wink:
  • Kimaw65
    Kimaw65 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Phew! Good thing I drink Coke Zero instead. :wink:
    [/quote]

^^^^this :)
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Thanks...but no thanks. If I'm hungry I would rather eat something; or in lieu of eating I would prefer a protein shake or even plain water to a diet Coke.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Men+have+feelings+too.+Dont+lie+guys+this+is+true+You_ec147b_4747970.jpg
  • k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    I will agree with the obesity aspect of Diet Coke as my ex-mother-in-law drank only Diet Coke and she weighed over 400 lbs. That and the aspartame is horrible for your body.
    HAAHAHAHAH- utter nonsense. this literally made me snortlaugh. If you drank nothing but diet coke, for your entire calorie intake you would a) probably die, and b) be super skinny and seriously malnourised. it was all the food your ex mother in law ate that made her 400lbs....

cringe.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

"Good grief" is right. It's one thing to choose something for oneself. It is quite another to promote/advise it to others. Yes, I will be totally "judgemental" when someone recommends eating anything other than real food when one is hungry.

She's not telling you to do it! You are a big girl, make your own decisions. She's telling people what works for her. This place is supposed to be for helping each other, not tearing people to shreds. Some of you really should be ashamed.
    so when people post in a public forum a tip that we think is bunk, we should all just say "hooooray, great job! Such a great idea! sorry it does not work that way...

I'm sorry, but she does not need to be shredded for it. If you don't agree with it, move on. People are not going out in masses and buying up all the diet coke because of it. And nobody has saved a life here by getting on their high horses and pointing out how dumb it is. Seriously.

She's a big girl, she can take it. If not then she will just not post stupid topics like this in the future.

You may think it's stupid, but maybe I think some of *your* eating habits are stupid. I see you eat cottage cheese and also brown rice. Disgusting! Why would you eat that crap? Just stupid. I refuse to support a diet full of crap that I wouldn't eat! :angry:
    (That felt good to hear, didn't it? :wink:)
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump