Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

no sugar or flour, food addiction?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I think almost all of us have trigger foods that easily derail us from our health transformation. so.. we cut them out. That's not an addiction in my opinion. I don't have a huge love of cookies.. or flour goods. So, maybe some cut those out as an easy way to stay within their calorie goals.
    But,, I read posts from desperate people on mfp.. who can't help but eat bags of candy, or raid the fridge in the middle of the night.. or go from fast food restaurant to fast food restaurant eating burgers and fries. So, yes. i think food addiction is a real thing for some.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    Do you think there is food addiction? Some people say dont eat sugar or flour. That seems like a hard way to live, not ever having a cookie? They say they dont struggle. What do you think? I know I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds, it is still a struggle for me. I would like to not struggle but giving up sugar and four seems so hard.

Not so much an addiction but some people are more sensitive to sugar/carbs/flour. I could care less about sugar. I might have a cookie, but I don't want a 2nd one. My problem is potato chips. I have a horrible time moderating chips or foods I really love like pizza.

I didn't stop eating them. What I did was limit the amount I had access to--and that has helped.

Instead of buying the cheaper family bag of chips (which I will eat all by myself), I instead only buy a single bag of individual chips at a gas station. I can eat them in the car, but when they are gone, they are gone. They aren't hanging around the house calling my name.

I've done something similar to pizza. If I want delivery pizza, I only get it if there are a bunch of people. The amount of people limits how much of it I can have.

I also buy a non-frozen pizza --cut it into individual pieces and freeze it. I can bake 1 or 2 slices as needed. I enjoy them, but I'm too lazy to go back and bake more. I also sometimes buy a Boboli thin pizza crust (prebaked). I cut the crust into individual pieces. Add Kroger pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, and mozzarella. I can bake a quarter, half, or all of it. I cut the crust and seal it in an air tight container. I pull out the crust when want pizza and add my toppings. If I'm careful, it's about 175 calories a slice.

So I still have pizza and chips--I am just more careful on how much I have access to.

Does that help any?

• Sett2023
    Sett2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What I've seen in myself and in many others is addiction to "ease".
    Yes, if I have around a six croissants box I'll eat all of them, but only because that's more easy/quick than, let me say, peel an orange.
    So, as Loulee above, I don't renounce to any food, but I 1) made more difficult to reach some things (for instance, I no longer have croissants boxes at home, but I still have a croissant almost every day. Only, I have it at a cafè, so it's one per day and stop. Ditto for pizza: no more frozen pizzas here, or I'll finish also four in a meal: now, if I want pizza, or I bake it - rarely - or order it/go out for it, so it's one evening per week, not 4 in a day); 2) and, in the same time, I made more easy reach other kinds of food: I was used to meal prepping also before, but now I really stuff my (two) giant freezers with all my usual healthy/low calories things (I cook a lot of vegetables in a lot of tasty ways, from patties to loaves to stews to gratin etc, and ditto for poultry and fish), so it is very easy and quick to have on the fly healthy/low calories food instead of high calories ones, even when job is "time-stealing" or, simply, I'm tired/bored.
  • magicfoodfluff
    magicfoodfluff Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just curious what are your thoughts on people who have ADHD?
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 387 Member
    edited March 22
    Options
    Just curious what are your thoughts on people who have ADHD?

@magicfoodfluff
    Why do you ask? Is it a recognized symptom/issue for people with ADHD?

My initial thought was food addiction, as any use addiction, is complex for the person, may have genetic and learned behavior components, physical and emotional dependence components, and may occur in all age/gender/cultural groups.

The nature of some use dependencies, such as cigarettes or alcohol/drugs, may start as a social/fun use, and deepen to an emotional/physical dependence... for anyone who progresses into an addiction level problem...

including people who also suffer adhd. Is there an issue or concern beyond that?