Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

no sugar or flour, food addiction?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    Doctor: The MRI shows your brain has been hijacked by dopamine pirates.

Patient: Are you writing me a prescription Doc?

Doctor: No, I'm investing and buying stock in those companies. Drum roll, symbol. :D
    So much of Western medicine is so focused on prescriptions to alleviate patients problems and symptoms while not truly addressing the root cause. Which of course opened the door wide open for big pharma and the billions they make a year in medicines.
    I sometimes believe that people in the US really don't worry about health issues because in the back of their mind, they believe that there's a medicine or medical procedure that will take care of whatever health issue they run into down the line.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Doctor: No, I'm investing and buying stock in those companies. Drum roll, symbol. :D
    So much of Western medicine is so focused on prescriptions to alleviate patients problems and symptoms while not truly addressing the root cause. Which of course opened the door wide open for big pharma and the billions they make a year in medicines.
    I sometimes believe that people in the US really don't worry about health issues because in the back of their mind, they believe that there's a medicine or medical procedure that will take care of whatever health issue they run into down the line.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A few years ago, 2018 I believe the food industry grossed about 1.4 trillion with a profit of around 650 billion. Pharma made 254 billion on 1.8 trillion. Health care is about 3.2 trillion a year. Crazy numbers. Not sustainable and with diabetes being around 350 billion dollar burden alone, forget about the other metabolic diseases someone better figure out what's going on in the food supply because the Gov't has had 50 years to figure it out and they've come up with zilch.
  • mbcla23
    mbcla23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do believe it has to be related to the chemicals in the brain somehow. I’ve always been underweight and never craved food. Then when I had problems with my hormones I got cravings. The Dr put me on the birth control pill consecutively so I never get my period-don’t have cravings any more. Then about 5 years ago, I had a nerve injury in my knee and they gave me nerve medication-it caused me to crave sweets and foods I never I eat-I gained 20lbs in 2 months. So I went off of it-cravings went away and I instantly lost the weight and went back to normal. I think that’s why all these drugs like Ozempic work-it changes the foods you crave and your amount of hunger. So for the average person - the level of the hormones you have regulating your hunger such as leptin, etc can affect your weight. Drugs and hormones can affect this. People who psychologically eat -I am not sure what gets triggered there. That is a little more in depth.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A few years ago, 2018 I believe the food industry grossed about 1.4 trillion with a profit of around 650 billion. Pharma made 254 billion on 1.8 trillion. Health care is about 3.2 trillion a year. Crazy numbers. Not sustainable and with diabetes being around 350 billion dollar burden alone, forget about the other metabolic diseases someone better figure out what's going on in the food supply because the Gov't has had 50 years to figure it out and they've come up with zilch.

Definitely agree. It's insanity. And the answer is in the food. And unfortunately big agra isn't going to give us the answer (too much money in the game) so unfortunately it's up to people to do as best they can.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh it's NOT going to change at all if companies are making billions. They don't care about human health (with the exception of something flat out killing someone after ingestion). What matters is PROFIT. Capitalism rules in the USA regardless if big companies exploit Americans. As long as they can do it LEGALLY, they will.
    So if you talk to people that are lean.............they don't blame the companies. They take it upon themselves to make the right choices for better health and nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    The food industry understands the science behind what drives behavior and they've been researching this for decades and I believe it's in their understanding of the two major reward centers in the brain, one being dopamine and the other serotonin. Which does differentiate between pleasure and happiness which are usually conflated by most people.

Pleasure is that dopamine hit and generally experienced alone and it's visceral, short lived and when it's achieved in excess it drives depression, suicide with an end game for addiction. Examples like drugs, shopping, gambling, drinking and sex and yes, eating.

Happiness on the other hand effects serotonin which is generally experienced with others like family and friends, it's ethereal and it's long lived and can't be achieved with substances and happiness is not addictive.

The food industry is well aware of these differences and the food industry commonly deflects overeating with lack of exercise with companies expressing core values virtue signaling health and wellbeing in their marketing and advertising, basically saying, hey, if your fat and obese you have to take it upon yourself and eat less and move more, and they get a pass because that opinion is a popular one and they know that.

The food industry right now are salivating at the thought that the message that animal products for example have been demonized and thought to be scourge of the planet because, well, since the 60's meat will kill us (yes sarcasm) and what are going to replace those calories, fruit and veg, nope, maybe a little, it will be a lot more powders with additives and formed into all sorts of new shapes with those tastes we've all learned to love with ringing health endorsements, right on those bright and beautifully packaged goodness sending the right message, well, at least the one people have fallen for over and over again, dopamine anyone. This is just my opinion and not a popular one because, it's all about calories. cheers

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    mbcla23 wrote: »
    I do believe it has to be related to the chemicals in the brain somehow. I’ve always been underweight and never craved food. Then when I had problems with my hormones I got cravings. The Dr put me on the birth control pill consecutively so I never get my period-don’t have cravings any more. Then about 5 years ago, I had a nerve injury in my knee and they gave me nerve medication-it caused me to crave sweets and foods I never I eat-I gained 20lbs in 2 months. So I went off of it-cravings went away and I instantly lost the weight and went back to normal. I think that’s why all these drugs like Ozempic work-it changes the foods you crave and your amount of hunger. So for the average person - the level of the hormones you have regulating your hunger such as leptin, etc can affect your weight. Drugs and hormones can affect this. People who psychologically eat -I am not sure what gets triggered there. That is a little more in depth.
    Chemical reaction is what drives the body. From hormones you generate normally, to chemicals taken. Lol, I had a client who kept telling me he just didn't feel hungry and why he's probably not gaining weight or muscle even though the workout program we were doing was set for that. So I told him to smoke weed. He was shocked. But he did try it and voila! Not only did he sleep better, but he was able to gain 30lbs easily cause marijuana made him hungry.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hadn't thought about this before, but I wonder if the legalization of marijuana in so many states will exacerbate the obesity problem in the U.S.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Chemical reaction is what drives the body. From hormones you generate normally, to chemicals taken. Lol, I had a client who kept telling me he just didn't feel hungry and why he's probably not gaining weight or muscle even though the workout program we were doing was set for that. So I told him to smoke weed. He was shocked. But he did try it and voila! Not only did he sleep better, but he was able to gain 30lbs easily cause marijuana made him hungry.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hadn't thought about this before, but I wonder if the legalization of marijuana in so many states will exacerbate the obesity problem in the U.S.
    Hmmm good question. But according to this, the top 10 states aren't the most obese out of all the US.

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2021/04/30/this-state-smokes-the-most-pot-ranking-use-by-state/10/

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Are lots of people using marijuana who didn't use it when it was illegal? I'm not sure. I don't know very many, but that's for sure a biased sample. Just from casual reading, looks like there's some research, but I think it's mostly survey research, so also potentially iffy; but seems to show only modest increases (in absolute terms, not "percentage increase") in some (not all) demographics. To the extent use has been correlated with BMI in such research, it isn't obvious that users are universally fatter (maybe even the reverse).
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Are lots of people using marijuana who didn't use it when it was illegal? I'm not sure. I don't know very many, but that's for sure a biased sample. Just from casual reading, looks like there's some research, but I think it's mostly survey research, so also potentially iffy; but seems to show only modest increases (in absolute terms, not "percentage increase") in some (not all) demographics. To the extent use has been correlated with BMI in such research, it isn't obvious that users are universally fatter (maybe even the reverse).
    Funny but almost all people I personally know that smoke are skinny or normal body weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 803 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Funny but almost all people I personally know that smoke are skinny or normal body weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Omg you’re right.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think it would also matter, for the question of affecting obesity, whether people who used it when it was illegal are using it more now that it's legal -- assuming that more use means more munchies? Another possibility -- has legalization affected how much marijuana is used in the form of edibles (I don't know much about this, but it sounds like edibles are generally sugary treats, like baked goods -- no pun intended -- or gummies?).

Early days yet to know about the effect of legalization on rates of use, much less the secondary effect on obesity. Just something that occurred to me in reading the thread.

Also think maybe the pertinent comparison should not be between the BMI of users and the BMI of non-users, but rather between the % change in BMI over several years for users and nonusers.
  • imaginemary
    imaginemary Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good discussion. Helpful for me to think about this. I don't know if it is "addiction" (not sure how to define it). In 2019 I managed to stop eating sugar and flour for almost a year, and lost 30 lbs. It's easier and more successful in weight loss for me to completely abstain. I gained the weight back when I stopped abstaining. Now I'm down 16 lbs but on a plateau for months. I have been eating both sugar and flour in what seems extreme moderation but I wonder if my body just doesn't handle them well. I can try letting go of them again. I am wary of making a lifelong commitment to such a restricted diet, but it felt good to be honest, and it was pretty easy to accomplish -- but only as long as I just completely stopped.(I can make buckeyes, keto muffins, and ground sunflower seed crackers for treats.)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I can’t blame any of my weight gains on flour, sugar, the food industry, or anyone other than myself.

I was a child in the 70’s. My parents were young and money was tight. Restaurant meals, fast food, and “junk foods” like chips were rare. Both parents ran. My father was a long-distance runner who was, and still is, very particular about what he eats. We had healthy meals and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. We did a lot of walking, biking, and swimming. But I still gained weight because I love food and I love to eat.

I never ate to block out pain or trauma. If I’m upset or stressed, I don’t want to eat. It’s a happy thing. I like the taste of food and the act of eating. I never eat fast. I like to savor it. It’s not an addiction for me, as I can control myself. But there were, and are, times when I didn’t want to or didn’t care.

From pictures, I can see I was a normal weight until about 5 or 6. You don’t become obese overnight. It’s mathematics. Extra snacks plus extra portions equal excess calories. Excess calories add up to excess pounds. Excess pounds add up year after year.

I weighed 145 pounds when I was 13. I remember as that’s when I weighed more than either of my parents. They weren’t happy about my weight but it’s not hard to sneak food. And if you love all food, then anything is eligible to be a snack. We would buy glorious cheeses from the farmer’s market. I once ate 9 clementines in a row. Peanut butter is so easy to eat right out of the jar. My grandfather always had a ham cooked and sliced and no one would notice if you took just one more slice. Slice after slice. Pound after pound. Year after year.

I gained major weight in college. The dining halls were all you could eat and I could eat a lot. I was in the 260’s when I was 24 and decided to get serious about losing weight. Unsurprisingly, when I ate the proper portions, I lost weight.

You see, I used to blame being short or having a “slow metabolism” for being overweight. When I was a kid, I thought it wasn’t fair that my best friend ate French fries and was skinny when I didn’t eat fried foods yet I was the one who was fat. But when I finally took an honest look at what I ate on a daily basis, I knew that was the end of my denial. And it really was denial, as deep down I always knew I ate enough for several people.

You would think I now have a good understanding how overeating leads to weight gain and you’d be correct. I still gained 40 pounds during the pandemic. Being self-aware doesn’t mean that you no longer indulge in self-destructive behavior. Plus, I’m an excellent cook. And the farmer’s market still sells glorious cheeses.
    When you're honest with yourself, it's much easier to see the big picture and actually find the path to what makes it doable to control your weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    deleted.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,957 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hmmm good question. But according to this, the top 10 states aren't the most obese out of all the US.

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2021/04/30/this-state-smokes-the-most-pot-ranking-use-by-state/10/

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Very interesting study. For many reasons. For one thing, the number of smokers for all states, legal or not was closer than I would have guessed.
    Oklahoma is one of the recent states to legalize. I wonder how much difference there is in the number of smokers before and after legalization. There certainly is a LOT more in the news about crime concerning growers and sellers.
    It seems like every time I see an article about health, our state is a little less healthy and a little more obese.