WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Been trying to keep up with posts. I feel like my "work" is a whirlwind, right now. Or maybe a big hamster wheel and I am the old, overweight hamster trying to stay upright in the ever moving wheel. It is funny, as facebook memories pop up and I can see how busy I was in years past, I am not sure why I am having trouble this year with the "busyness" of the holidays. Maybe I am just emotionally tired? Oh well. Two more weeks of work and then I am off to see the grands. I guess when DD arrived home with Javier and introduced him to his brothers, Joaquin (age 4 1/2) simply said, "No. I don't want another brother." and that was the end of his involvement with the baby for the night. lol Miguel (age 2) was very smiley and very gentle with baby and mama. Joaquin was this way when Miguel was born and now they are best buddies; so he will come around. DD said the dog just walked over and sniffed the baby, turned around and went to his "chair" and laid down. In doggie language, that must mean, "Ooof, another puppy!"
    Machka- What an accomplishment! Enjoy your weekend and relax!
    Lisa- I have to say, reading/listening to your words you sound like your old self. Pre-illness. I really have missed your turn of phrase and jokes in your writing. I am so glad you are feeling better (or at least more like yourself). Hugs for your daughter. I hope she can make it for Christmas. I am sure after 10 days quarantining with her kiddos she is going to need some hugs.
    Kate- Safe travels! Enjoy your time with your family!
    Heather- Love the pics of the family! Everyone looks very healthy and happy! <3
    Pip- I think the "wet" pic of Yogi is my favorite. He is such a photogenic guy! Just want to give him a huge hug!

Pausing here to check the weather. My plan was to head out to do my grocery shop; but I can see the trees moving in the darkness and the lake is just ROARING... well, probably best I head out this morning. Weather looks like it will get worse as the weekend moves on. Michigan winter.

Katla- Once you get used to the new changes made to the community page on mfp, it becomes familiar and easy to hop on. If you remember to bookmark the page, by clicking on the bookmark symbol, finding us is just two clicks away each time you log on. Easiest for me is to go to my profile pic, click on bookmarks, then click on our December thread.
    Knitters, embroiderers, and crocheters- I bow to your abilities! I sometimes wish I could do these things. But, I know, at this time in my life, I don't have the patience to do it. Little things frustrate me. I would probably do well for myself by taking up boxing. lol

Well, I have to scoot. The sooner I get the errands run, the sooner I can get back and hole up for the weekend. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,832 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Saw that tornadoes ripped through midwest hope all of you that were in there path are ok..
    Slept pretty well once I fell asleep .. and I figured out how to put YouTube on my TV
    I have always loved to have a fireplace and like my mom,could spend hours,just poking and prodding the logs and enjoying the warmth and crackle of the fire..
    Well a fake fire will have to do but it sure is relaxing .. I must say...
    Yes Lisa you sound like your old self coming out of your shell bless your heart..
    Me I feel like im just isolated and not going anywhere or doing anything.. no no im not suicidal or anything of the sort,but with all that has gone on in the last year ,I feel worn out.. I dont feel vibrant, I want to feel vibrant and not old..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,747 Member
    Options
    Yyyy
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Edie looks adorable with the glasses and Johnny looks like he is having a grand time..
    You both are wonderful grandparents.
    I should be going over to help Tracy put baby clothes away in the nursery today..
    Went up and gave Trudy her birthday card and had a cup of tea and a few laughs.. now back down with Alfie and watching the crackling fire on TV lol
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,980 Member
    Options
    👽🛸🌵☃️
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    KJLaMore – Happy news for your family. Baby Javier is a cutie!

Sue – My mom taught me to knit and crochet when I was in Junior High. I haven’t done very much crocheting but I enjoy the rhythm and ease of knitting.

Barbie and Lisa – I have been a coffee drinker since early childhood. Mom put canned milk in my cup with some coffee in it. My parents were both coffee drinkers, so I was, too. As time went along I learned to enjoy herbal tea, but I’ve never liked black tea. Now I drink coffee in the mornings but nothing with caffeine in it after about noon.

Machka- Congrats on each 50km bike ride in 2021! You are amazing!

Kate UK – I hope your trip turns out to be full of good times with your family.

KJ – You have more confidence in me than I do, but I am not planning on giving up. This group of women is very special. :heart:

Allie- We have a gas fireplace that lights with the touch of a switch. We’re the first owners of this house, and the original fireplace didn’t work well. We hired someone who did a great job fixing it. We push a button and the fire starts. Upstairs in the bedroom we have a fake wood stove. It operates on electricity. The original that we bought years ago wore out. The new one we replaced it with is not ideal, but it works.

Heather – Johnny is very likely the kindest grandfather in the world. He is wonderful with the children.

We’re off to a wet morning and this is supposed to be the day the Christmas Ships arrive and light up the river channel beside our community. I may have already said this—the “ships” are pleasure boats. The owners decorate them with lights for the parade here. Most are family cruisers that enable their owners to enjoy the river. I am looking forward to seeing their parade on the river this evening. They haven’t visited our town since the beginning of the pandemic. I hope we can all enjoy this treat and they can enjoy it, too.

Katla in rainy NW Oregon

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,378 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the NHS app today and got it to show my covid pass with my vaccinations. :D
    DH was very against it, but, once I had done it, was keen to compete, so he now also has it on his phone. Hooray!
    Never thought he would.

Getting delivery tonight after our efforts with Max and Edie. A bottle of Prosecco is in the fridge. :p

We are going to be looking after them in a week or so while my son and wife go off first thing to get their booster jabs. Hooray, hooray! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: not BP, not power line, not vitamins, not steps, not even mfp, only good choices were T’ai Chi, chiro and CI<CO.
    Bonus: Post Office, BiMart, bottle return, recycling, Chinese takeout lunch with Joe, spent the rest of the day snoozin’ with an early Perry Mason ;)
    Just one thing:
    Do good December
    11: Buy an extra item and donate it to the food bank. Easy to do at today’s Grocery Outlet Employee Appreciation event.
    Heather, thanks! Think I’ll save for zucchini season, as I’d not want to use T’s broiler to reheat… but they look yummy and I don’t even like zucchini! Since I’m not vegan, I’d serve with a horseradish sour cream sauce, rats, now my mouth is watering. :love: the pic of your bruv and sil, and your son and friend. To my eyes, your son resembles your brother. Thanks for sharing the pics. Edie’s and Johnny’s smiles bring so much joy! Look forward to seeing your funny animals.
    Machka, thanks! I was thinking popcorn with an olive or avocado oil drizzle... especially since its movie night, but same reheating quandary. Appreciate the https://theclevermeal.com/easy-vegan-appetizers/ list, should find inspiration there! Con VERY gratulations to you both on the Petit Year Round Randonneurs!
    KJ con VERY gratulations and welcome welcome welcome baby Javier! “boxing” ROTFLMAO!
    Betsy thanks for thinking of us, so far so good, quakes flurrying but not being felt.
    @Katla49 please pm me your contact info. I’ll call you and try to help. Oops, I see you’re able to get in ok now. Whew!
    Kate safe travels!
    Lisa “spiffy” thank goodness! What KJ said, every word.
    Allie you are not alone in wanting to feel more vibrant and less old. Hope you can put on some music and dance the blues away.
    Rita, Sue and Beth, always happy to see you popping in.
    Vickie fingers X’d for your DH’s rheumatologist appointment yesterday.
    Rebecca enjoy your game day!

Anyone have a vegan cheese brand recommendation? I'd like to bring a warm bean dip to our girl's movie night, but just can't imagine it without melted cheese... :naughty:

All you knitters and crochet-ers are inspiring me to try it again. Would give me something to do with my fingers besides picking up food and putting it in my mouth.

Fireplaces: we have a wood burning stove that really heats and dries out the damp from the house. We’re in for a series of rain and wind storms, so will fire it up this afternoon when I return from grocery shopping and keep it going for likely the next week. Good thing Joe brought 5 bins of firewood close to the house so he doesn’t have to schlep out to the tented woodpile.

Time to get up off my butt and do a little better today than yesterday.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
    t5ekg5er9fmh.gif
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all so much for welcoming me back to my life. I don't know when I stopped laughing, but when the sound of my own laughter surprised me, I knew it must have been quite some time. With each small thing I do - a load of laundry, a walk down to the mailbox, a blanket folded, hugging my husband as I walk by, each one is one more thread from the fabric of my old life woven back in place. Each day I feel more whole.

Wow, that got all metaphorical all of a sudden. :wink: I think I'll go make myself a peanut butter sandwich.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    KJ Congratulations 🎉 Javier is beautiful 💞

Lisa I'm glad that you are feeling better!

Not much happening here except remodeling and decorating!! We are now done with the living room dining room and bedroom. We are taking a couple weeks off before we tackle the bathroom!

I hope everyone has a great day and hugs and prayers to those that need them!

<3 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Love ya Lisa 😘
    I took a lovely snooze with Alfie its rainy outside so we snoozed to the fireplace on TV
    Im going over in a bit to Tracys to help put the baby clothes away and get the crib together.. Kyle will be watching boxing 🙄
    Thats his thing..
    Tracy will be 36 weeks this tuesday so less then a month a way and there will be a new little guy in the midst...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    (((Lisa))).

Kelly, another beautiful boy child. Javier is precious.

My brother is in the hospital with a serious foot infection.

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,747 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day- pretty happy with my run, the bib chip time showed me faster

Fresno 2021 jingle bell run- Strava app stats- 27.59min, 12 elev, 9.04min mi, 145ahr, 181mhr, 5k= 353c
    Strava app = 372c

* Run chip on my bib showed me 27:50.8min
    8:58min mi,
    2nd out of 60 females in my age group.
    121st out of 1147 females.
    348th out of 1872 overall.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Options
    Well I had two items on my to do list today. Getting an export from my Scrivener software and fixing the bathtub drain. The first is done and was so simple I couldn't believe it took me this long to find it. The second required my dad's help. It's fixed but he wants to replace a little gizmo so he went off to the store. Now I have no excuse not to exercise tonight!

Annie in Delaware
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Started rainy but sunny now. Will head out for a nice long walk.
    Thinking of the people who lost property and loved ones in the tornadoes. A former coworker had her home flattened in Kentucky last night.

Betsy in NW WA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    B)
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Heather, my apologies for mixing up your sisters in law! As we've acquired more stuff than we need, I've started thinking that a charitable donation is far better than another "thing" that will most likely just be a dust collector! Of course, a nice comestible is also nice.....
    Allie, I have to wonder if Carmine would benefit from a few sessions with a counselor, someone who is sympathetic to non-binary and transgender etc. I also wonder if it's their way of drawing attention to themselves. Lets face it, the teens are most definitely NOT the best years of our lives! And with everything else going on, they may be feeling overlooked, or overwhelmed or something..... In any case, and this is just my personal opinion and, as Lisa would say, it's worth what you paid for it, but I think a bit of counseling might be just what they need, even if it just confirms or supports the direction they are sort of headed.
    Kate, I hope you enjoy your time with your DD and grands, safe travels.
    Lisa, thanks, I hope the Christmas party will be nice too. It's going to be a sit down dinner, in the dining room with other diners, but apparently there is an area that is a little separate. We just won't be in our own banquet room. Oh well, a free meal at a swanky hotel, what could possibly go wrong?? lol
    The weather is really having trouble making up its mind as to what it wants to do, although the most recent look out the window seems to indicate that it is only waffling between rain and pouring rain... I did hear the weatherman mention another atmospheric river, I guess it's here now. Crazy how much rain we are getting! Some areas of the island got their full usual monthly total in just few days in November, I'm kind of thinking December is going to be similar. I really hope it's decent for at least a few hours Tues afternoon when we have both grandkids, I'd sure like to take our grandson to a playground and try and burn some excess energy off! That kid just does not stop! He truly is all boy, lol. I was offered a rocking horse for our granddaughter, but I declined as I could see our grandson on it and it not ending well, whether it would be him getting hurt or part of our house getting destroyed or just the two of them fighting over it and some of the above happening. I'm comfortable with my decision!
    Hubby and I decided that we were unhappy with our recliners early this spring so we went to our local Lazy-Boy store and ordered new ones, the old ones are from the Brick and worth about what we paid for them (not much). We were told that the lead time was about 9 months, so I commented to hubby that hopefully we'd have them by Christmas, but I didn't really think that would happen. Well, lo and behold, I got an email from them on Wednesday, and our new chairs will be delivered this Wednesday! I'm very excited. Son and daughter in law have expressed interest in the old chairs, they are in better shape than at least one of their couches for sure, so we just need to figure out a way to get them over there. Might just rent the cargo van from work, I'll have to see what hubby thinks.
    That's it for me for now! Hugs to those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Well im back,fed Alfie
    Poor Tracy looks absolutely exhausted.
    I put all the clothes away onsies by size ,short sleeved,long sleeved ,towels,hats,baby mitts so he doesn't scratch himself his little snowsuit.. and put the waterproof mattress pad and sheets on the crib.
    Im trying to help as much as I can because I remember at this stage your just ready..
    And people can be so mean..someone in Walmart today asked her is she was playing Santa Claus this year.. and then other people ask if she is having more than one.. the poor girl is tiny and she is carrying all out front ..
    I told her if she needs anything to just holler