Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Latest Trend is Fasting: What say you?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing when he stressed 16 hours, like it was a magic number. Unfortunately, I didn’t get enough time with him to ask him his reasons.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options
    I think you’re a bit presumptuous to say it’s confirmation bias. I’m only giving you the short story. You sound very sure of yourself. I like to keep an open mind.
    Cheers

Mel, what jumped out at me in your PP was "I have dizziness a lot". If my GP, whom I trusted, was encouraging me to try a different eating routine in the hopes of minimizing dizziness, I'd be listening.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,896 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I think you’re a bit presumptuous to say it’s confirmation bias. I’m only giving you the short story. You sound very sure of yourself. I like to keep an open mind.
    Cheers

Just to be clear I didn't say you had confirmation bias.

Anytime a "doctor" decides one study determines it's the definitive answer and that somehow invalidates the totality of evidence of a particular field of research is well, not actual science. Maybe your Dr. needs to keep an open mind. Like I mentioned, you can eat in the morning regardless of the IF intervals and your Doctor should have mentioned that, or at least you think they would have. Whether it 14 hrs or 16 hrs won't make that much difference and your Dr. should have known that as well. Anyway, I'm sure you'll do what's best for you. cheers
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    Ask an internet forum for medical advice: get what you pay for.

I think the cardiologist and the regular medical doctor have also brilliantly illustrated that doctors [also] are not gods and do not have a corner on The One Truth. I'd agree with neanderthin, read the study for yourself and make your own conclusions. Each doctor has his/her own slant toward treating your particular issue(s.)
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options

Mel, what jumped out at me in your PP was "I have dizziness a lot". If my GP, whom I trusted, was encouraging me to try a different eating routine in the hopes of minimizing dizziness, I'd be listening.
    [/quote]
    I am listening. She’s always been a great example of a fit, healthy woman full of common sense.
    Also, today for the first time I felt less dizzy and more normal. I’m really focused on changing things. Something is working, whatever it is. I don’t wish to debate it. Just happy with the results.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    I guess I’m in the wrong forum.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I guess I’m in the wrong forum.

Nope. Other people might be, though. ;) (For some people/nonsense, there's no right forum. My opinion counts on for n=1, but IME, you're right here. ;) )
  • Iloveblue25
    Iloveblue25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m currently using the fasting feature on MyFitnessPal (I try to go for 14+ hours, occasionally I don’t usually because it’s a work day). On a separate issue, does anyone else get really frustrated with the MyFitnessPal app for being laggy and painfully slow? It’s been a “thorn in my side” issue for at least two years if not longer. When I first got the app it was fine, but now, even after an update, there’s no improvement and I’m close to quitting. Please comment below your thoughts on this. Thanks 😎👍.
  • VicDis2021
    VicDis2021 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m currently using the fasting feature on MyFitnessPal (I try to go for 14+ hours, occasionally I don’t usually because it’s a work day). On a separate issue, does anyone else get really frustrated with the MyFitnessPal app for being laggy and painfully slow? It’s been a “thorn in my side” issue for at least two years if not longer. When I first got the app it was fine, but now, even after an update, there’s no improvement and I’m close to quitting. Please comment below your thoughts on this. Thanks 😎👍.

The app seems fine to me for logging entries, but very clunky and slow when it comes to these forums.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    Not a new trend at all. Fasting has been around for a long time. Fasting for weight loss and health has also been going on for quite a while. I remember reading a book in my late teens about fasting, that would be 40 years back. It has been pushed more main stream in the last 15 years or so, but I wouldn't even call that a "latest trend".
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    comment deleted
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    As someone who has difficulty controlling my eating, I find intermittent fasting schedules useful to give me a sense of control, help me be more mindful of my eating, and ultimately reduce the calories I consume.
  • jr80464
    jr80464 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the discussion but I think if you're going to do IF, you need to explore why you want to and what your hoping to achieve that isn't currently working for you. IF for *me* gives food too much power. While I wouldn't say I have had an ED, I've definitely had disordered eating patterns. One of the things I'm working on is to stop letting food dictate my life - I'm learning hunger and fullness cues, not being scared of eating my calories, etc. If it works for you, great. It wasn't for me.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    we need to be flexible in what may/may not work for us.
    Hey, nice new profile pic!

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    we need to be flexible in what may/may not work for us.
    Hey, nice new profile pic!

Thanks, felt it was time for an update