Advice on how to handle an ex please!

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your children have a good life with you and your husband. It also is clear that your ex is a manipulator and is using the children as a "get out of jail" card and will probably just add chaos to your children's life.

Can you move to terminate his parental rights, and if successful, have your husband legally adopt them?

This is a great idea. I agree with your desires to at the very least have him pay a minimum child support payment for six months before ever seeing his kids if you are to let him into your lives.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Can you move to terminate his parental rights, and if successful, have your husband legally adopt them?

Or even better... this.

How could you give this advice when you don't even know the situation? Horrible advice.

If a man wants or loves anyone (kids or otherwise), he will move mountains. If this man really wants to see his children, then he will fight for it. If he doesn't, then why should OP place her children in a position to be rejected by their father?

The kids should probably be advised of the situation before OP makes a move like this, but I would still advise this.

Typical.

You know nothing about me or my situation.

My ex is very much like the OP described, except that I married him, he finally managed to get to a point where he could avoid going to jail/prison. I have bent over backwards for him to have access to his children. He still doesn't. And he is always looking for some flaw in my parenting so that he can get out of child support. He doesn't care if his actions cause his kids to end up in a foster home because he is not smart enough to realize that he would still have to pay child support.

The kids have a good man to be their father. And odds are, they will want the man raising them to adopt them. Bio-dad needs to prove that this really matters to him, and fight for those kids.

This isn't about you or your situation. I stick with my "typical" comment.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    This is not only a bizarre place to ask for this kind of advice, but the fact that you were getting a little testy with some of the suggestions given on the front page tells me that you already know what you want to do. I don't think my fitness pal is a good source of lawyers.

Also, are you really putting his rapsheet here? Really? Is this some sort of weird validation thing? We get it, he's not a good guy. Go get a lawyer.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Sounds like your children have a good life with you and your husband. It also is clear that your ex is a manipulator and is using the children as a "get out of jail" card and will probably just add chaos to your children's life.

This is a great idea. I agree with your desires to at the very least have him pay a minimum child support payment for six months before ever seeing his kids if you are to let him into your lives.

here in my state, the child support has nothing to do with visitation and withholding a parent from seeing their kids is just as illegal as not paying child support, but you cannot withhold them from the kids because of it.
  • DashDeV
    Options

here in my state, the child support has nothing to do with visitation and withholding a parent from seeing their kids is just as illegal as not paying child support, but you cannot withhold them from the kids because of it.

It's the same in all states.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Or even better... this.

How could you give this advice when you don't even know the situation? Horrible advice.

If a man wants or loves anyone (kids or otherwise), he will move mountains. If this man really wants to see his children, then he will fight for it. If he doesn't, then why should OP place her children in a position to be rejected by their father?

The kids should probably be advised of the situation before OP makes a move like this, but I would still advise this.

Typical.

My ex is very much like the OP described, except that I married him, he finally managed to get to a point where he could avoid going to jail/prison. I have bent over backwards for him to have access to his children. He still doesn't. And he is always looking for some flaw in my parenting so that he can get out of child support. He doesn't care if his actions cause his kids to end up in a foster home because he is not smart enough to realize that he would still have to pay child support.

The kids have a good man to be their father. And odds are, they will want the man raising them to adopt them. Bio-dad needs to prove that this really matters to him, and fight for those kids.

I need some clarification then... what exactly is "typical" about wanting to protect children from the possibility of being rejected by a father who is clearly very likely to do just that?
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    2010-568 PONT Dui, 2nd & Subsequent 05/06/2011 5Y Incarceration 03/07/2012 01/16/2015
    2010-68 PONT Larceny Of An Automobile (Split) 05/06/2011 6Y Incarceration 03/07/2012 01/25/2016
    2010-68 PONT Larceny Of An Automobile (Split) 05/06/2011 14Y Probation 05/06/2011 05/05/2031
    2010-69 PONT Dui, 2nd & Subsequent 05/06/2011 5Y Incarceration 03/07/2012 01/16/2015
    2011-15 PONT Attempting To Elude Police Officer (Sus) 05/06/2011 5Y Probation 03/07/2012 03/06/2017
    2011-15 PONT Running A Roadblock (Sus) 05/06/2011 5Y Probation 03/07/2012 03/06/2017

Here is his partial record. This isn't all...trust me. His record is longer than my college transcript.

Gah! Stop. Stop this whole thread. You're really not making good decisions posting all this here. If you are making better decisions now than you were when you were younger as you say, surely you can see that this isn't the place.

ETA: Trying to be helpful because we can't unring this bell. Your ex's parental rights aren't up to you or anyone here. You need to speak to a family law attorney or mediator to get a better understanding of everyone's rights, and decide on a course of action based on a combination of abiding by those rights and the best interest of your children.
    Options

It's the same in all states.

well, there OP has it, then. I would suggest not withholding the kids unless he pays child support.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    my little opinion: do not take them to a prison to meet a father they don't remember. Not good for their little psyches. I would personally tell him that he needs to wait until he is released and then set up times for him to come to your house for a visit, maybe an hour or two or maybe dinner. Or meet him somewhere with the kids if it is too much on your husband. I do think it would give bio-dad food for thought if he sees the relationship step-dad has with the kids. It doesn't matter if it upset your husband. Bio-dad does have some legal rights. BUT (and this is important in the beginning) DO NOT tell the kids that he is coming over or that you taking them to see him. That way if he doesn't show then they aren't hurt. If he proves that he is going to stick around then you can decide whether or not to loosen up. I would make him decide to take you to court over visitation. Honestly, from what you described, he doesn't sound like the type to spend money on a lawyer and time for court hearing and mediators (mandatory in most states). But would have the fact that you tried to let him in while still protecting your children. Also, judges normally take into consideration the relationship the non custodial parent has with the children. Plus, your oldest is old enough that the judge would probably take her wishes into consideration.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't do anything.

Let him get his parole, get his life on track, hire himself an attorney, and pursue you for visitation legally. If he is willing to do all that, then he is worthy to be a father. Don't enable him. Don't facillitate him. Make him prove that he really wants to be a father. Otherwise, you will be wasting your time and energy, and your kids'.

Yes, he has legal rights to them, and he can exercise those rights, if he wants, but I would make him take you to court.

This and amen!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't do anything.

Let him get his parole, get his life on track, hire himself an attorney, and pursue you for visitation legally. If he is willing to do all that, then he is worthy to be a father. Don't enable him. Don't facillitate him. Make him prove that he really wants to be a father. Otherwise, you will be wasting your time and energy, and your kids'.

Yes, he has legal rights to them, and he can exercise those rights, if he wants, but I would make him take you to court.

This and amen!

Yeah, this is basically the TL;DR version of what I said. I get long-winded when I'm in lawyer-mode.
    Options

Or even better... this.

Typical.

I need some clarification then... what exactly is "typical" about wanting to protect children from the possibility of being rejected by a father who is clearly very likely to do just that?

I will just say this.... we are only hearing OP's side of the story. There are always 3 sides. His, hers and the truth. We don't know that the ex hasn't changed and doesn't want to be in his kids lives. Everything here is based on what is being said about him. Even if some of us have/had similar stories, OP's story is not ours and the key players aren't the same, either. So, we will never truly know the whole story to be able to give her a clear answer.
    Options
    2010-568 PONT Dui, 2nd & Subsequent 05/06/2011 5Y Incarceration 03/07/2012 01/16/2015
    2010-68 PONT Larceny Of An Automobile (Split) 05/06/2011 6Y Incarceration 03/07/2012 01/25/2016
    2010-68 PONT Larceny Of An Automobile (Split) 05/06/2011 14Y Probation 05/06/2011 05/05/2031
    2010-69 PONT Dui, 2nd & Subsequent 05/06/2011 5Y Incarceration 03/07/2012 01/16/2015
    2011-15 PONT Attempting To Elude Police Officer (Sus) 05/06/2011 5Y Probation 03/07/2012 03/06/2017
    2011-15 PONT Running A Roadblock (Sus) 05/06/2011 5Y Probation 03/07/2012 03/06/2017

Here is his partial record. This isn't all...trust me. His record is longer than my college transcript.

Gah! Stop. Stop this whole thread. You're really not making good decisions posting all this here. If you are making better decisions now than you were when you were younger as you say, surely you can see that this isn't the place.

Exactly. This doesn't make OP any better for airing his records.
  • jimnelson1028
    jimnelson1028 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    His actions may be connected with the upcoming parole hearing. He may just be trying to show he is a concerned father so the parole board will have sympathy. Get an attorney that has experience in this area, knows your state laws, etc...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

the problem is that you don't get to "protect" them from possible future rejections. if she had a case where she thought he would be physically abusive then by all means, keep that *kitten* away. but she's basically like, "he'll be there one day and won't be around for the long haul". That's just how life works, sorry.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Double Tap

just kidding of course

get legal advice
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Oh, geezers...
  • DashDeV
    Options

Or even better... this.

Typical.

Your response is what I was calling typical. I mean typical as in jumping to the conclusion that she should petition to have his parental rights taken and your reasoning for this advice was even more typical "My ex is very much like the OP described" :noway:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'd hire a lawyer, as suggested, but I'd also hire a therapist for your kids.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    We hear here about all of his shortcomings, which eventually led to prison.

But we hear nothing about yours. There's always 2 sides to a story. Are you really that picture perfect? (this was not meant to offend, only to offer a differing opinion)

I am a strong supporter of the rights of biological fathers and firmly have an opinion that where there are "deadbeat" parents (dad implied here), there is an enabler on the other side allowing these actions to occur.

Until those children are of age (technically 18) it is your sole responsibility to engage the interaction with their father. You admitted, you were stupid. He is admitting that now too. Prison - go figure - may have worked for him. Hey! Imagine that...the system working!

And child support...what do you need that for? You are married, the children are very well taken care of and embraced by your husband. What will child support prove? The fact the the shoes you buy for them will be bought by him/their father? That essentially puts more $$ in your pocket. So you have a father, wanting to get back into their lives and you want him to pay to have access to them? Maybe, just maybe he did change, will become part of their lives, and without the child support payments you will see him contributing to their lives in many ways. It is your responsibility to be a parent, a person, hope for the best, continually in the eyes of your children, and engage the interaction. If he doesn't reciprocate, then truly he can be labeled a deadbeat.

Without your response, you will be enabling the distance. The children will grow and become their own person, and may see this some day. Heck, they may even want to go stay with their dad. You will call it rebellion. They will say they just want to see their dad. And guess what, there is no disrespect to your husband. None intended as he should have known all of this before he entered a relationship with you. Yes, it may hurt, but if he is as good as you say (I believe he may be) then he has nothing to worry about. They will always come back to him, and the memories won't fade like he may be thinking.

Sometimes 3 parents works out. Gotta let it, don't force it. Let it happen. Think...take a breath sometimes. Let it happen.