Sugar addiction....

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I searched the forums and didn't see that anybody had added "Radiant Recovery" to the responses to this thread.

I didn't give up sugar, but I use a lot of the tools that I learned to keep myself in a routine that works for me. I'm sure the adherents to that program will not agree with my approach of "take what you need and leave the rest", but I'm ok with that.

Good luck, OP.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Why can they do moderation of "natural" sugars but not refined?

Because, as I already explained, it's not the sugar causing the behavioral addiction. It's the pleasure derived from the taste of the food.

It might be the same sugar in a piece of fruit vs. ice cream, but the ice cream generates far, far more pleasure than any fruit every will!

Behavioral addictions are about chemical changes to the brain involving the reward circuitry.

Find a source of natural sugars as rewarding to eat as ice cream and you'll probably see the same problems with eating it.

It seems you are confused with the brain, behavior, and addictions. I believe you are confused with the diagnosis and treatment of addictions, as well as other disorders and other functions of the brain. Overall, you are blurring the lines of the word addiction. I have seen you use American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) and the DSM-V as your sources. However, ASAM is for the treatment of addictions to substances, namely alcohol and other drugs, not food, not sugar, not gambling, not sex etc. In addition, the changes to DSM-V does not include food or sugar addiction. (and this thread's subject is sugar) There is a reason for diagnostic criteria and you are using one set of criteria and applying it to other things. You are confusing the actual diagnostic criteria, the purpose of diagnostic criteria, the studies that were used to formulate criteria, and using it to fit into your beliefs about addiction.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    We can try to make it so "simple" by explaining that it's a matter of willpower you "weakling" but that doesn't help the other individual and whether we like it or not it may be more difficult for some than others....otherwise mental health professionals wouldn't exist...psychology wouldn't exist, studies on human behavior wouldn't exist...etc, etc....it is not as simple as telling someone to go get some willpower....it may happen like that for some but not everyone

I totally agree with you - I was commenting on the poster who said that it was "just" a willpower issue. Every addiction is a willpower issue. This doesn't mean that addictions are not real problems that are difficult to overcome.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    It seems you are confused with the brain, behavior, and addictions. I believe you are confused with the diagnosis and treatment of addictions, as well as other disorders and other functions of the brain. Overall, you are blurring the lines of the word addiction. I have seen you use American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) and the DSM-V as your sources. However, ASAM is for the treatment of addictions to substances, namely alcohol and other drugs, not food, not sugar, not gambling, not sex etc. In addition, the changes to DSM-V does not include food or sugar addiction. (and this thread's subject is sugar) There is a reason for diagnostic criteria and you are using one set of criteria and applying it to other things. You are confusing the actual diagnostic criteria, the purpose of diagnostic criteria, the studies that were used to formulate criteria, and using it to fit into your beliefs about addiction.

It seems you have missed my citations in this thread.

You are incorrect about both the ASAM and the DSM-V in regards to both behavioral addictions and food addictions in particular.

Here is the link for you again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_addiction
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    We can try to make it so "simple" by explaining that it's a matter of willpower you "weakling" but that doesn't help the other individual and whether we like it or not it may be more difficult for some than others....otherwise mental health professionals wouldn't exist...psychology wouldn't exist, studies on human behavior wouldn't exist...etc, etc....it is not as simple as telling someone to go get some willpower....it may happen like that for some but not everyone

I totally agree with you - I was commenting on the poster who said that it was "just" a willpower issue. Every addiction is a willpower issue. This doesn't mean that addictions are not real problems that are difficult to overcome.

My willpower escapes me when I'm behind the wheel of my car and I regularly go 20km over the speed limit even though I know I shouldn't and I have had traffic tickets in the past. Am I addicted to speeding?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Dude. Stop. You post something that makes sense then do this. Some addictions are chemical, i.e. what people would normally call addictions. If you water down the word "addiction" as has been done here, then all addictions are not simply a matter of will power. Chemical certainly are not. There is also a lot of confusion in this thread between chemical and behavior addictions. It all comes down to a semantic game of garnering sympathy because people want to eat cake.

ETA: And stop citing wiki like it means anything.
  • highervibes
    Options
    What about people who cheat on their spouses time after time? Are they addicted to sex? Where does personal responsibility end and addiction begin?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What about people who cheat on their spouses time after time? Are they addicted to sex? Where does personal responsibility end and addiction begin?

Skipping school addiction is rampant in the inner cities from what I've seen
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    See, that's what I mean. Why the snarkiness?
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Dude. Stop. You post something that makes sense then do this. Some addictions are chemical, i.e. what people would normally call addictions. If you water down the word "addiction" as has been done here, then all addictions are not simply a matter of will power. Chemical certainly are not. There is also a lot of confusion in this thread between chemical and behavior addictions. It all comes down to a semantic game of garnering sympathy because people want to eat cake.

All addictions are chemical, because they are a result of changes in brain chemistry.

I think the word you are looking for is physiological addictions. Physiological addictions are the result of a consumed chemical dependency. Examples are addictions to cocaine, or nicotine.

Behavioral addictions are the result in the changes of the brain's reward mechanism.

This is not "watering down the word "addiction"". This is simply recognizing different kinds of addiction.

Gambling addiction is now listed in the DSM-V, as is binge eating. Clearly it is not the result of consuming any kind of chemical, yet it is an addiction nonetheless.

But in the end, no matter what kind of addiction you have, beating them is a matter of willpower. It takes willpower to break an addiction to cocaine, and it takes willpower to stop an addiction to gambling or eating.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

All addictions are chemical, because they are a result of changes in brain chemistry.

I think the word you are looking for is physiological addictions. Physiological addictions are the result of a consumed chemical dependency. Examples are addictions to cocaine, or nicotine.

Behavioral addictions are the result in the changes of the brain's reward mechanism.

This is not "watering down the word "addiction"". This is simply recognizing different kinds of addiction.

Gambling addiction is now listed in the DSM-V, as is binge eating. Clearly it is not the result of consuming any kind of chemical, yet it is an addiction nonetheless.

But in the end, no matter what kind of addiction you have, beating them is a matter of willpower. It takes willpower to break an addiction to cocaine, and it takes willpower to stop an addiction to gambling or eating.

The DSM is a joke.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    nevermind
  • highervibes
    Options
    See, that's what I mean. Why the snarkiness?

Well, I'd love an answer to the question... no snark. I'm generally curious as to when we can blame addiction vs a conscious decision to ignore reason. All pleasurable things elicit chemical changes in the brain so I guess I just wanted clarification on how you decide you are 'addicted' Like I said in my earlier post -- I can't seem to stop driving 20 over the limit, am I a victim of addiction? A friend of mine cheats on his wife every chance he gets, is he a sex addict?
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

The DSM is a joke.

Why do you think the DSM is a joke? Genuinely curious. :flowerforyou:
  • elderkk
    elderkk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If this is the kind of support a person gets from this forum then who needs it!?!? There have been numerous medical studies that sugar stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain just like cocaine. The more you consume the more you need to have the stimulus. There are both emotional and physical withdrawals. Doctors from Harvard, Berkley and U.C. San Francisco have all done studies proving that sugar is not only toxic but addictive. It is our genetic programming to seek out sugar and sweet foods as those foods were “safe”.
    For those that crack jokes and laugh at this person’s perfectly legitimate request for guidance and assistance, you probably never experienced or witnessed this which doesn’t qualify you to answer the original question.
    The trouble is that to overcome this addiction, it has to get worse before it gets better. You need to find something to healthier to replace your fixation on. Exercising is an option, even just calisthenics. Another suggestion would be to meditate on why you are craving sugar. There are most likely emotional triggers like stress, depression, anger, etc. Many people self-medicate with sugar just as they would alcohol (which is essentially liquid sugar).
    It is hard but it can be done and requires a combination of physical, emotional, and psychological treatment approaches.
    For a more recent article (Is Sugar Toxic - 60 Minutes Investigates)check this out…
    http://youtu.be/6n29ZIJ-jQA
  • BeachIron
    Options

Nice comparison between cocaine and gambling "addictions." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Deeze are da gamez
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    If this is the kind of support a person gets from this forum then who needs it!?!? There have been numerous medical studies that sugar stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain just like cocaine. The more you consume the more you need to have the stimulus. There are both emotional and physical withdrawals. Doctors from Harvard, Berkley and U.C. San Francisco have all done studies proving that sugar is not only toxic but addictive. It is our genetic programming to seek out sugar and sweet foods as those foods were “safe”.
    For those that crack jokes and laugh at this person’s perfectly legitimate request for guidance and assistance, you probably never experienced or witnessed this which doesn’t qualify you to answer the original question.
    The trouble is that to overcome this addiction, it has to get worse before it gets better. You need to find something to healthier to replace your fixation on. Exercising is an option, even just calisthenics. Another suggestion would be to meditate on why you are craving sugar. There are most likely emotional triggers like stress, depression, anger, etc. Many people self-medicate with sugar just as they would alcohol (which is essentially liquid sugar).
    It is hard but it can be done and requires a combination of physical, emotional, and psychological treatment approaches.
    For a more recent article (Is Sugar Toxic - 60 Minutes Investigates)check this out…

For the record, OP enjoyed all the goofy replies and she took the serious advice as she saw fit. A few posts ago she mentioned she just decided to go to the doctor, and even earlier on she admitted it probably wasn't an addiction- she just really likes sweets.
  • BeachIron
    Options

For the record, OP enjoyed all the goofy replies and she took the serious advice as she saw fit. A few posts ago she mentioned she just decided to go to the doctor, and even earlier on she admitted it probably wasn't an addiction- she just really likes sweets.

True, but the citations to youtube videos and wikipedia are just too much fun not to check in on once in a while. Oh, that and I really enjoyed the passionate defense of sugar as addictive by the person who cured herself by quitting it for a month and then reintroduced it. I think we can get rid of AA now. Hey, just stop drinking for a month and then you can slowly start reintroducing alcohol. But yes, "behavioral addictions" and chemical addictions are totally the same thing.

I :heart: this thread.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Are you going to post these studies that show sugar is toxic and addicting in humans? BTW the Stanhope study discussed in that video showed neither
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

The DSM is a joke.

Why do you think the DSM is a joke? Genuinely curious. :flowerforyou:
    Because the chairman of the DSM IV says it is, mainly. To be more specific it is too broad and authoritative. Broad + authoritative = dangerous.