Sugar addiction....

Options

Replies

• Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Why do so many MFP-ers need concrete validation? I want proof. I want a diagnosis. I want evidence. I want to read articles.

Why not work out what's right for your own body? We are all different biochemically and genetically.

Do your own food trials. Get help (if you need to) to get disciplined to follow your decisions.

I gave up sugar on 10th June because I'm a binge eater and I identified sugar as my trigger. I used to hunt for it and then spiral out of control in a sugar-gasm frenzy.

Since I decided that sugar is more toxic to me than cigarettes (which I also gave up 10 years ago) I have my binge eating under control and the weight has melted off me. I have trialled a controlled return to sugar in my diet and discovered it makes me feel tired, sick and grumpy!

So I've taken responsibility and control over my own health. I had to DECIDE and STICK TO IT. I made myself accountable.

Thank whatever deity looks down on us for this epiphany cos it's saved my life! I don't rely on anyone else to help me now because its very clear what I have to do to stay healthy and I'm taking all the kudos for my great results.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    See, that's what I mean. Why the snarkiness?

Well, I'd love an answer to the question... no snark. I'm generally curious as to when we can blame addiction vs a conscious decision to ignore reason. All pleasurable things elicit chemical changes in the brain so I guess I just wanted clarification on how you decide you are 'addicted' Like I said in my earlier post -- I can't seem to stop driving 20 over the limit, am I a victim of addiction? A friend of mine cheats on his wife every chance he gets, is he a sex addict?

And this is my question as well. I have a relative that will do about any shady crooked thing (lie, cheat, AND steal) to get some easy money. FWIW, he's not rich, but he's not poor enough to need to steal to have a decent life. He's not too smart about it though, so he lands in hot water with his family, his friends, and/or lands in jail over and over again. As soon as he gets out, he's back to his old tricks.

By these definitions, that sounds like an addiction to money or an addiction to not working. It's not clear which.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Well, those questions aside, some people are just a-holes. I got a bunch of them in my family too. Not sure there are any out-and-out addicts (except maybe if attention or negativity count!).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    We can try to make it so "simple" by explaining that it's a matter of willpower you "weakling" but that doesn't help the other individual and whether we like it or not it may be more difficult for some than others....otherwise mental health professionals wouldn't exist...psychology wouldn't exist, studies on human behavior wouldn't exist...etc, etc....it is not as simple as telling someone to go get some willpower....it may happen like that for some but not everyone

I totally agree with you - I was commenting on the poster who said that it was "just" a willpower issue. Every addiction is a willpower issue. This doesn't mean that addictions are not real problems that are difficult to overcome.

And I totally disagree. Tell someone their craving for sugar is an addiction, and they're not thinking it's something they can potentially overcome with willpower. They're either thinking "oh, well that's something that's beyond my control", or "holy ****, how am I going to overcome that?". Basically, you're making a mountain out of a molehill (or a foothill, if you really love sweets, but still).
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    We can try to make it so "simple" by explaining that it's a matter of willpower you "weakling" but that doesn't help the other individual and whether we like it or not it may be more difficult for some than others....otherwise mental health professionals wouldn't exist...psychology wouldn't exist, studies on human behavior wouldn't exist...etc, etc....it is not as simple as telling someone to go get some willpower....it may happen like that for some but not everyone

I totally agree with you - I was commenting on the poster who said that it was "just" a willpower issue. Every addiction is a willpower issue. This doesn't mean that addictions are not real problems that are difficult to overcome.
    Dude. Stop. You post something that makes sense then do this. Some addictions are chemical, i.e. what people would normally call addictions. If you water down the word "addiction" as has been done here, then all addictions are not simply a matter of will power. Chemical certainly are not. There is also a lot of confusion in this thread between chemical and behavior addictions. It all comes down to a semantic game of garnering sympathy because people want to eat cake.

ETA: And stop citing wiki like it means anything.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's willpower, and lots of it. thats what worked for me. Being really set on making the change.

It sucks, you crave it so much, feel like you can't function, its ALL you can think about, you feel like crap and think a little sugary snack will make you feel better. You just have to be strong and wait it out.

Once you get over the "hump", you stop craving it, you stop wanting it, and it feels sooooo much better :)

I'm prone to sugar addiction, I have to be careful. Once I start, I binge on sugary things. It's a rollercoaster, the sugar gives me a little boost, but then I "crash" and I NEED more sugar to feel good again, but that I crash and need more, again and again. Can't sleep well. This isn't heroin caliber lol, but you end up feeling like you can't get away from sugar, you always need it, even if you don't want it. You feel way too dependent on it. And it's not exactly easy to avoid, sugar is so accessible.

Like any addiction, I "relapsed" lol, but it's will power that gets me back on track. There's no "trick". It seems impossible, and almost too simple, but it is possible!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    there is sugar addiction. brain cells and brain cells soaked in sugar look very different. It affects the brain in some people very much like drugs. In some people not so much of an issue.
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing some not so nice comments "just stop eating sugar" "you dont have an addiction" etc etc.
    its a problem FOR HER! Its her reality and her concern.

For me; I slowly switching out sugar like treats for things like starwberries. They are sweet and usually satisfy my craving for sugar. The less you consume, the less you will crave it. Just dont go gun-ho and quit sugar all together. Some people can do this and some cannot. Its mind over matter. But, i think starting to switch foods out with better/heatheir options is the first step. Things take time, especially eating habits.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    If this is the kind of support a person gets from this forum then who needs it!?!? There have been numerous medical studies that sugar stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain just like cocaine. The more you consume the more you need to have the stimulus. There are both emotional and physical withdrawals. Doctors from Harvard, Berkley and U.C. San Francisco have all done studies proving that sugar is not only toxic but addictive. It is our genetic programming to seek out sugar and sweet foods as those foods were “safe”.
    For those that crack jokes and laugh at this person’s perfectly legitimate request for guidance and assistance, you probably never experienced or witnessed this which doesn’t qualify you to answer the original question.
    The trouble is that to overcome this addiction, it has to get worse before it gets better. You need to find something to healthier to replace your fixation on. Exercising is an option, even just calisthenics. Another suggestion would be to meditate on why you are craving sugar. There are most likely emotional triggers like stress, depression, anger, etc. Many people self-medicate with sugar just as they would alcohol (which is essentially liquid sugar).
    It is hard but it can be done and requires a combination of physical, emotional, and psychological treatment approaches.
    For a more recent article (Is Sugar Toxic - 60 Minutes Investigates)check this out…
    http://youtu.be/6n29ZIJ-jQA

For the record, OP enjoyed all the goofy replies and she took the serious advice as she saw fit. A few posts ago she mentioned she just decided to go to the doctor, and even earlier on she admitted it probably wasn't an addiction- she just really likes sweets.

Thanks for noticing :heart:
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I'm seeing some not so nice comments "just stop eating sugar" "you dont have an addiction" etc etc.
    its a problem FOR HER! Its her reality and her concern.

For me; I slowly switching out sugar like treats for things like starwberries. They are sweet and usually satisfy my craving for sugar. The less you consume, the less you will crave it. Just dont go gun-ho and quit sugar all together. Some people can do this and some cannot. Its mind over matter. But, i think starting to switch foods out with better/heatheir options is the first step. Things take time, especially eating habits.

Thanks, for me I really think your approach is great and It's pretty much how I plan on approaching it. I know I can do it :smile:
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    Why do so many MFP-ers need concrete validation? I want proof. I want a diagnosis. I want evidence. I want to read articles.

Why not work out what's right for your own body? We are all different biochemically and genetically.

Here's the thing: People are equating a behavioral disorder (binge eating) with an addiction. A behavioral disorder is not the same as an addiction. Plus, it's rather silly to assert that you can be addicted to sugar, something which your body -- EVERYONE'S body -- requires in order to survive. Any carbohydrate you eat, whether it's the sugar in a few strawberries, the chocolate and other things in a Snicker's bar, a bowl of pasta, or a bowl of ice cream, by the time it gets through your digestive process is plain old glucose, because that's the ONLY thing your cells can use for cellular respiration, which is what your cells do to derive the energy they need to function. Without glucose -- That is, sugar in its most basic form -- your cells will die. YOU will die, if the lack of sugar is extreme. So, to say "I'm addicted to sugar!" is a ludicrous statement, other than in the sense that we're ALL -- as in, every living thing because sugar powers every living organism on the planet -- "addicted" to it because our bodies physiologically require it for survival. And no, it doesn't matter what kind of sugar it is, "natural" or not, "refined" or not. To your body, it's just glucose, no matter where it came from initially.

So, people who like sweets aren't addicted to sugar and sugar is not "toxic." In general, such people just really like the fat/sugar combo that is something like, say, cake. (Or pie. Whichever you prefer.) Often, the attachment is a conditioned response often learned in childhood. Often, the response is emotional. Often, "cravings" are triggered by specific situations, not by anything physiological. Therefore, binging on sweets (or any other food) is quite clearly a behavioral issue, which while it can be just as harmful/debilitating as an addiction is totally not the same thing as an addiction. Sure, sugary things like cake might "trigger" an episode of binge eating in a person, but again, that's not an addiction, and it doesn't mean that sugar is toxic in any way, shape, or form. It just means that the person has a behavioral issue that needs to be addressed in some manner, and for some people that behavioral issue has resulted in them being fat and/or unhealthy. It's simple. It's just that people like to dodge responsibility for their behavioral issues and, instead, point fingers at TEH EBIL SUGAR instead.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Because anecdotes and personal experience can be tainted, biased, or skewed.

Because we aren't that different on a genetic level.

Because without proof and evidence and articles anyone can say whatever the hell they want and there is no way for those that lurk but do not post to know what makes sense and what is cooked up by some person with no real idea how the body works.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Do your own food trials. Get help (if you need to) to get disciplined to follow your decisions.

I gave up sugar on 10th June because I'm a binge eater and I identified sugar as my trigger. I used to hunt for it and then spiral out of control in a sugar-gasm frenzy.

Since I decided that sugar is more toxic to me than cigarettes (which I also gave up 10 years ago) I have my binge eating under control and the weight has melted off me. I have trialled a controlled return to sugar in my diet and discovered it makes me feel tired, sick and grumpy!

So I've taken responsibility and control over my own health. I had to DECIDE and STICK TO IT. I made myself accountable.

Thank whatever deity looks down on us for this epiphany cos it's saved my life! I don't rely on anyone else to help me now because its very clear what I have to do to stay healthy and I'm taking all the kudos for my great results.

82IxBuL.jpg
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Too bad we're all so different that we have to rely on magic, individually, instead of medical science. Some day doctors will figure out a way to treat more than one person at a time, uniquely, for any given condition.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm generally curious as to when we can blame addiction vs a conscious decision to ignore reason. All pleasurable things elicit chemical changes in the brain so I guess I just wanted clarification on how you decide you are 'addicted' Like I said in my earlier post -- I can't seem to stop driving 20 over the limit, am I a victim of addiction? A friend of mine cheats on his wife every chance he gets, is he a sex addict?

If you are having trouble distinguishing between addictive and non-addictive behavior this link may shed some light on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addiction

"Addictions can include, but are not limited to, drug abuse, exercise addiction, food addiction, sexual addiction, computer addiction and gambling. Classic hallmarks of addiction include impaired control over substances or behavior, preoccupation with substance or behavior, continued use despite consequences, and denial.[3] Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward), coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs).[4]"

Basically if you know it's wrong, and you know the consequences, and you cannot stop yourself from doing it, it may be an addiction. If you deny that you have a problem, and/or if you try and hide the behavior, it's an even greater indicator that it may be an addiction.

Not all pleasurable things cause addiction, and not all people will become addicted to the same stimuli.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Nice comparison between cocaine and gambling "addictions." laugh laugh laugh

Deeze are da gamez

This was a contrast, not a comparison.

I was showing examples of physiological addictions, which cocaine addiction is.

Gambling is a behavioral addiction, recently added to the DSM-V, along with binge eating.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    But yes, "behavioral addictions" and chemical addictions are totally the same thing.

I heart this thread.

Again, I think the word you are looking for is physiological addiction.

All addictions are chemical in that they are the result of changes in brain chemistry.

You can change this brain chemistry through substance abuse (physiological addiction) or through behavior (behavioral addiction).
  • 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    I was a heavy sugar addict. I decided and rehabed myself starting on 11/6/2013
    It was a tough lonely journey fighting with myself.
    My blog here on MFP is about that.
    Add me if you like ^^
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Here's the thing: People are equating a behavioral disorder (binge eating) with an addiction. A behavioral disorder is not the same as an addiction.

I think it's important to note that one kind of behavioral disorder is behavioral addiction, and the lines between them are still blurry. Many addictive behaviors are now in the DSM-V as "disorders", such as binge eating, internet addiction, sexual addiction.

Even recognizing these problems as "disorders" is a big step forward for the DSM-V. Some of them are listed as "needing further research".

To me, there is very little difference between compulsive gambling and compulsive eating. The former is now classified as an addiction, while the latter is now classified as a disorder.

I think one of the reasons for this is the consequences of gambling are more tangible, more immediate, and more immediately damaging, and in spite of this the behavior persists.

In any case, there is little doubt that there pleasurable stimuli can activate the reward circuitry in the brain and that you can develop an addiction to this.

I mean, how many times have you heard the term "comfort food". There's a reason why - it's a go-to food for comfort (pleasure).
    Plus, it's rather silly to assert that you can be addicted to sugar, something which your body -- EVERYONE'S body -- requires in order to survive. Any carbohydrate you eat, whether it's the sugar in a few strawberries, the chocolate and other things in a Snicker's bar, a bowl of pasta, or a bowl of ice cream, by the time it gets through your digestive process is plain old glucose, because that's the ONLY thing your cells can use for cellular respiration, which is what your cells do to derive the energy they need to function. Without glucose -- That is, sugar in its most basic form -- your cells will die. YOU will die, if the lack of sugar is extreme. So, to say "I'm addicted to sugar!" is a ludicrous statement, other than in the sense that we're ALL -- as in, every living thing because sugar powers every living organism on the planet -- "addicted" to it because our bodies physiologically require it for survival. And no, it doesn't matter what kind of sugar it is, "natural" or not, "refined" or not. To your body, it's just glucose, no matter where it came from initially.

I tend to agree. I am skeptical that sugar causes a physiological addiction. It's possible, but from my own experience the attraction comes from pleasure, not physical withdrawal symptoms. Though some people here are claiming physical withdrawal symptoms.
    So, people who like sweets aren't addicted to sugar and sugar is not "toxic." In general, such people just really like the fat/sugar combo that is something like, say, cake. (Or pie. Whichever you prefer.) Often, the attachment is a conditioned response often learned in childhood. Often, the response is emotional. Often, "cravings" are triggered by specific situations, not by anything physiological. Therefore, binging on sweets (or any other food) is quite clearly a behavioral issue, which while it can be just as harmful/debilitating as an addiction is totally not the same thing as an addiction. Sure, sugary things like cake might "trigger" an episode of binge eating in a person, but again, that's not an addiction, and it doesn't mean that sugar is toxic in any way, shape, or form. It just means that the person has a behavioral issue that needs to be addressed in some manner, and for some people that behavioral issue has resulted in them being fat and/or unhealthy. It's simple. It's just that people like to dodge responsibility for their behavioral issues and, instead, point fingers at TEH EBIL SUGAR instead.

I agree with this, except I don't see it as "dodging responsibility" for their behavioral issue. I see it as an important aspect of addressing the behavioral issue if you want to successfully diet. Addressing a behavioral problem is not dodging responsibility for it. Ultimately everyone with a behavioral problem, addiction or otherwise, has to hit rock-bottom and accept responsibility for their problem before they can solve it.

I think if you can't control yourself from eating certain kinds of food, then it is important to avoid those kinds of foods and switch your diet to something that you have better control over. If you have a self-control problem with eating because you enjoy it too much, make your diet boring so that it isn't so appealing. If you can't stop yourself from eating every donut in the box then don't eat the first one. I personally find it much easier to avoid eating the first one than to eat one and not continue eating. There is too much of an attitude of "well, I blew it, might as well enjoy it" involved.

I think this is why there is so much contention around the "avoid carbs" or "avoid sugar", or "go ahead, eat sugar" topics.

It's like telling an alcoholic to go ahead and have one drink even after years of being sober when there is no longer any physiological addiction in play. An addict can't play with fire like that because it is too easy to succumb to the temptation.

There seem to be a lot of people around here to don't think this can apply to food.