Asked for help, REFUSED! *rant*

Options

Replies

• jlmakela
    jlmakela Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I went to a weight loss doc once.
    The beauty of it.. Insurance pays for it. They don't pay for Weight Watchers or a nutritionist, but the same program done by an MD they pay for.
    It was strictly a financial decision. But I lost 25#.

So don't be upset about seeing a doc. it's has its benefits.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    I know it is entitle to make it's own rules but I just think those rules are not fair. I don't want to have to go to a hospital to get help, I want help in that kind of setting. I really feel I would benefit from it, so I don't know why I can't. I think I could keep up because I have as good brain as anyone and I always try my best. I don't know why they assume I couldn't. I don't know that there are any other groups out there, this is the main local organisation for this sort of thing. It's just really frustrating
    I don't think it's fair that a yacht costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and I can't afford one. They should sell them for $10 so everyone can have one.

No need to be condescending to the man! Just because he is upset does not mean that he does not understand the concept of "life isn't fair"

I completely agree.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I CALLED LEVEL 3 PPL AND THEY SAID I CANNOT GO THERE BECAUSE IT IS CLOSING IN TWO WEEKS, FML :(:(:(:( DEVASTATED.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Oh no... So much for 'The NHS is safe in my hands'...

So sorry to hear that. Chin up honey! xxx
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your mail. I mailed you back. I don't live in your neck of the woods so I don't know if there is a local funding problem.

If I were you I would contact my GP and discuss with him what you're looking for. At the end of the day they HAVE to meet your clinical needs, even if that means referring you out of area to a neighbouring health board's service.
  • joselo2
    Options
    Again, sorry to be on this note but i dont like how they are keeping services for general obese people, but not for more heavier obese people. we mustnt be a worthy investment,
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Again, sorry to be on this note but i dont like how they are keeping services for general obese people, but not for more heavier obese people. we mustnt be a worthy investment,

Before anyone jumps on me, i've read the entire thread, I get it. And i'm not 'a hater', just a realist and my BMI started at over 40, so I get it.

The NHS is here to provide general services to English residents (i'm only talking England here), you claim that the 'heavier people aren't a worthy investment' well actually statistically you're not.

24.8% of adults in England are obese, barely 3% of those are morbidly obese (i.e. BMI over 40), so in the grand scheme of statistics what is better for using up limited resources? Helping the 21% of obese people or channelling funds to run programs for the small minority of people who are morbidly obese?

Go to your GP if you feel like you need extra help and see what they say. Although I don't understand why you need it, you've done great so far!

P.s. Your posts do come across like you have a sense of entitlement. I.e. i'm entitled to everything just because and a little whingey. It got my back up a little which could explain some of the 'nastier' comments on the thread.
  • joselo2
    Options
    Well, I am entitled to everything as it happens,I am a UK citizen who pay taxes, as such I am entitled to have my health care needs met, either by the local authoriy or nhs that is all.

The same could be said of most illness(yea yea i know obesity is not a 'proper' condition because it is self inflcted etc, I agree, this is what i am saying, that i dont want too clinical an approach as it happens), they only affect a small number of people, but it still matters.

I just really really DO think I am entitled to this sort of thing. I am going to see my doctor and I am not going to be fobbed off with something like a dietician referal on its own.
  • stackhead
    Options
    Well, I am entitled to everything as it happens,I am a UK citizen who pay taxes, as such I am entitled to have my health care needs met, either by the local authoriy or nhs that is all.

The same could be said of most illness(yea yea i know obesity is not a 'proper' condition because it is self inflcted etc, I agree, this is what i am saying, that i dont want too clinical an approach as it happens), they only affect a small number of people, but it still matters.

I just really really DO think I am entitled to this sort of thing. I am going to see my doctor and I am not going to be fobbed off with something like a dietician referal on its own.

That's an incredibly selfish attitude to have. I am also an UK citizen who pays taxes and for me the NHS is for when i'm sick or injured. Right now i'm fat, not sick.

There's nothing making me fat apart from food. I can control my food through free resources such as this. Apart from general nutrional guidance for education (which you've already said you won't accept) what else are you expecting the NHS to do?! What are you after exactly?

You can't expect a NATIONAL health service to provide tailored programme just for you.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

That's an incredibly selfish attitude to have. I am also an UK citizen who pays taxes and for me the NHS is for when i'm sick or injured. Right now i'm fat, not sick.

There's nothing making me fat apart from food. I can control my food through free resources such as this. Apart from general nutrional guidance for education (which you've already said you won't accept) what else are you expecting the NHS to do?! What are you after exactly?

You can't expect a NATIONAL health service to provide tailored programme just for you.
    I'm sorry that is just a blinkered point of view. A lot of people with weight issues have such because of psychological issues these need to be addressed. You seem to be worried about the cost to your taxes. Just do a quick Google and you'll see the cost obesity related illnesses cost the bag. By treating and helping people it will reduce your tax burden overall. No matter what people like you wish to think obesity is not as simple as eat less
  • joselo2
    Options
    Yes, this is what i've been syaing all along, i don't want a clinical approack, because i dont beleive i am sick. But i do think i cant do this without help. I don't think i ever said i dont want general nutiritional advice, i do want it, that is what they would NOT let me access though, which was a shame. hope I don'tcome across like i am shouting at you, i dont mean it like that, only saying my point.
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I don't see why you would be upset at them, I would be upset at myself, actually when I was excluded due to weight...I got fit and now the people who excluded me can't keep up with me...

I am not upset at myself at all. I am doing my very best to make changes. that don't mean never going wrong but recognising where i went wrong and trying to push forward. Seeking this was part of it, getting over my plateau. Not upset with myself one bit, am proud of myself, just annoyed about the situation here.
    its good to be proud of yourself, and dont take this the wrong way, but your bmi could well be the risk reason. i had a bmi of just over 40, and it was a nightmare... i had a good doctor, and had a gastric bypass, best thing i ever did..in my personal experience, but i understand its not for everybody...
    do you have a good ractice nurse, or a citizens advice centre, they may be able to provide the support you would like... and then ofcourse there is us!!mfp is a real help to me, and i log even my 'bad 'foods...
    hope you continue on your weightloss journey with great success, and feel ree to add me as a buddy if you want...i am a bit bonkers!!lol!!:laugh: :laugh: :happy:
  • stackhead
    Options
    Yes, this is what i've been syaing all along, i don't want a clinical approack, because i dont beleive i am sick.

I don't believe you are either.
    But i do think i cant do this without help.

You already are doing it? And why does help have to provided by the health service? Again what are you asking them for?

I don't think i ever said i dont want general nutiritional advice, i do want it, that is what they would NOT let me access though, which was a shame. hope I don'tcome across like i am shouting at you, i dont mean it like that, only saying my point.

Yes you did
    I am going to see my doctor and I am not going to be fobbed off with something like a dietician referal on its own.
    I'm sorry that is just a blinkered point of view. A lot of people with weight issues have such because of psychological issues these need to be addressed. You seem to be worried about the cost to your taxes. Just do a quick Google and you'll see the cost obesity related illnesses cost the bag. By treating and helping people it will reduce your tax burden overall. No matter what people like you wish to think obesity is not as simple as eat less

At no point did I say it was as simple as eating less. I am aware of the issues people face, if you notice how much weight I have to lose, i'm going through them myself (y'know but people like me haven't got a clue because I don't scream about my issues?!) People like you need to not make snap judgements about people like me.

I agree, helping people will reduce my tax burden BUT in order for the NHS to do that it needs to help the greatest number of people i.e. the 21% with a BMI under 40 rather than the smaller % of people over that?! How is that blinkered?!
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    When I was a little girl, my brother was in the Cub Scouts. They got to do all kinds of really cool stuff and went camping, etc. I wanted to join. I was not allowed to, because I was a girl. Instead, I had to join Brownies, where they made us wear ugly brown dresses, and did stupid crafts and ****. It wasn't fair, either.

Now we all know where you learned to make a pine cone bird feeder.

The circle is complete.

*I've got something in my pocket,
    That belongs across my face,
    I keep it very close at hand,
    In a most convenient place.
    I'm sure you couldn't guess it,
    If you guessed a long long while.
    So I'll take it out and put it on,
    It's a great big brownie smile.*

Awwwww! Thanks for the memories! Personally, I loved being in Brownies, even though I was disappointed that we didn't get to go camping like the cub scouts did (but I did go as an older girl scout).
  • stackhead
    Options
    Double post
  • joselo2
    Options
    stackhead, i never said or even slightly implied u dont have a clue about the issues, sorry if u picked it up that way.
    what i want from the nhs? idk, i dont care if it is nhs or local council, i just want some sort of holistic support that helps with all the facrtors that lead to obesity, preferably with other ppl, i think this face to face input will keep me on track is all.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I CALLED LEVEL 3 PPL AND THEY SAID I CANNOT GO THERE BECAUSE IT IS CLOSING IN TWO WEEKS, FML :(:(:(:( DEVASTATED.

is that the only one? I cant believe that is your ONLY option. Now, try to find another one. Im not in England so i dont know how this works. Its just one door closed. there has to be another right?
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    stackhead, i never said or even slightly implied u dont have a clue about the issues, sorry if u picked it up that way.
    what i want from the nhs? idk, i dont care if it is nhs or local council, i just want some sort of holistic support that helps with all the facrtors that lead to obesity, preferably with other ppl, i think this face to face input will keep me on track is all.

I've just been watching this thread as i don't want to open a can of worms over what i think thr nhs shouldn't pay for!

But have you seriously considered a gym and a trainer? And don't tell me your to fat my trainer trains a 34st man and a 29st man now and I'm willing to bet they will lose weight and get fit and never be put at risk, because my trainer (as are many others) is brilliant with weight loss at all levels, yes it costs money, but I'm of the opinion that i got myself fat nobody else did so why should they pay to get me thinner!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Hi -well, if you feel you are entiitled to care, then that is what is going to give you the motivation to search till you find one and not give up.

it may happen that you will settle for a doctor which you originally said you did not like, but it may be your only option, you dont have to go for surgery, but you might have to do something you didn't originally like, but it may be your only option - but good news - it may be what you need - a lifesaver.

or, why not just continue on MFP here with us, and you are already doing it, i think we could be a kind of support group for free. maybe thats the solution right here. Hey for me, I was the worst food addiction person,, but just a few months of making a few changes and im not that person anymore.. all for free. i am seeing a nutritionist for the first time next month but so far i've been doing this all by myself - with a little help and direction from my friends here. (Joe Cocker song)
  • joselo2
    Options
    Good for those 34stone29stones ppls. Personally i apprecaite a more holistic approach to the problem, because i think it works better for me however. Also, I have a trust in nhs/local authority, that they know best (no disrespect to ayone elses choices). It is down to me to sort this out, not like anyone can lose weight for me, but everyone needs help, and if there is good help available on the nhs i will use it. Looks like it been cut so manybe not but hopefully else where. u can write to your mp if you dont agree with it, but if it is there and funded, id like to avail myself of it. i adore the nhs, and general welfare state.

edit- i used to go to circuit training and swimming at a gym and i hope to get back into it (still do swimming) but that is additonal not instead of.