Have a Health & Nutrition Question? Ask the RD!

Options

Replies

• rachelmv3050
    rachelmv3050 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dear Rd: I would like to know how often can we fast and how does it work? During that “break”just water? It seems it helps not only with weight loss but also regeneration of cells and gives body a break
  • Beckysix
    Beckysix Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How get enough protein on a vegetarian diet without eating too many carbs? I don't like tofu, tempeh or seitan and I find I eat a lot of quinoa, lentils and beans. But these are high in carbs too. I do eat Greek yoghurt and protein shakes, but there is only so much of that one can eat and I think variety is good.

How much protein should be consumed daily?
  • milenazduniak
    milenazduniak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any diet or supplement recommendations to help recover after COVID? I want to loose weight and get back in shape but still feel fatigued and have uneven heartbeat which makes it much harder get back to excercise routine. Thanks!
  • lynnem0411
    lynnem0411 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have mild diverticulosis which causes me moderate to severe pain. Unfortunately I think its worse when I eat raw foods, eg salads. What foods should I avoid please?
  • gperri1504
    gperri1504 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Best post-workout meal that gets to the muscles quickly to replenish glycogen but also maintains blood sugar?
  • gperri1504
    gperri1504 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Issues with blood glucose, but also needing to eat in surplus for weight gain and muscle building, how to balance the two?
  • Riorsq
    Riorsq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get hungry late at night and can’t sleep on an empty stomach. What’s the best thing to eat so I won’t gain weight. Please don’t say water….I’ll be up all night peeing!
  • Dottyx
    Dottyx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, There's a lot of hype about supplements, which I find very confusing. Do you advise supplements for women over 50 and if so which ones?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    As a bodybuilder, is it more important to spread my protein intake out across several smaller meals throughout the day, or is it ok to have one or two high-protein meals (getting my total protein for the day)?
  • doreenbarkowitz
    doreenbarkowitz Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I'm 65. For the past 2+ years, I've been trying to lose weight. I lost 17 lbs on WW but then got stuck because I ate too much of my free foods (not fruits/vegetables, but whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc.). I tried Noom but it's basically counting calories and I have a difficult time even staying within 1300 a day, so I ended up gaining 4 lbs. So I came back to MyFitnessPal which has helped me in the past. But the problem remains... I end up eating too many calories. I can't believe how many calories I can eat per day! AARP had a article recently about older people not worrying so much about calories but to work on increasing protein (25-30 grams per meal), increasing fiber, and including fruits and vegetables per meal. The article emphasized how important it is to keep muscle in order to minimize fat. I'm a vegetarian who dislikes dairy products. I walk briskly on a treadmill for an hour 5-6 days a week. I need to lose another 25-30 lbs. I'm at risk of gaining if I don't watch my calories, but how do I keep calories down and get enough protein?
  • melswartz555
    melswartz555 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to get your period back with a BMI below 18? 🙈
  • melswartz555
    Options
    Is it necessary to wait a certain amount of time between meals to lose fat? And is it also necessary to fast for at least 12 hours overnight in order to lose fat?
  • melswartz555
    Options
    How long should you wait before going to bed after your last meal?
  • arana0423
    arana0423 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Night Eating-Please Help!
    I am a healthy 49 year old woman who exercises 5 days a week using weights and cardio. I eat healthy, (watch my carbs) every 3-4 hours during the day I eat, usually breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. Once I eat dinner in the evening around 7 that’s the end of my eating. I go to bed around 9 pm. Around midnight or 1 am I wake up hungry, usually wanting carbs. WHY! Please help!
  • ztsfitness
    ztsfitness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m a fitness professional who loves to fast, daily 14-18hrs, it’s very difficult to consume the amount of healthy calories I need during my eating windows (2pm-4pm / then after 8pm) due to my fitness teaching schedule ~ I try to eat a lot at once but I understand that the body can only process and digest specific amounts of protein and nutrients at one sitting, what is your opinion? Any suggestions?
  • noasmimi
    noasmimi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to find out the macronutrient amounts I should have each day?
  • Kmoney6957
    Kmoney6957 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am currently in recovery for ED and I am trying to fix my metabolism from the starvation state it's in. I know I have to eat more consistently as well as eating nutrient rich foods. I was wondering what foods would be the most beneficial for someone whose metabolism is in the same state as mine?
  • birexia
    birexia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My body seems to have a set weight for the past 15 years. I can lose 10-15 lbs only to return to that same number. l train daily a mixture of weights and cardio especially running. how do l drop this weight and maintain.
  • FitnessRealist
    FitnessRealist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. What's the best way to adjust your eating when you're not seeing any changes in body composition (i.e. try more veggies, more protein)?
    2. How to tell if you're undereating for your activity level?
    3. How can the diet be modified once a plateau has been reached after initial weight loss?
    4. Best vegetarian and vegan options for protein/complete protein combinations?
    5. Best ways to curb hunger/cravings for sweets/salty foods
  • Emmma1975
    Emmma1975 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :) Hello there! I lost 120lbs over the last two years after a gastric bypass. I am 5 foot 7 and 188lbs now. I would love to get to 175 but I seem stuck at this weight no matter how much/little exercise I do. My food intake is roughly 1000 calories and I try to ensure I eat protein first as advised by my doctor.

Can you maybe suggest how I could lose this last 13lbs?

Thank you in advance 💙
This discussion has been closed.