Have a Health & Nutrition Question? Ask the RD!

Options

Replies

• liliensixx
    liliensixx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    23 yrs old girl here, trying to lose weight. How do I handle sugar cravings? I can eat healthy, count calories and macros, but when it comes to sweets, I can't help it but binge eat them
  • gdjdkd
    gdjdkd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are eating healthy and doing some physical activity, i.e. walking 5 miles a day, and still do not lose weight would you recommend seeing a physician and having some tests done, like testing your thyroid function or insulin levels. Are there other tests you can recommend that would potentially find an issue with your body not burning calories or processing food the way it should be. What would be your recommended caloric intake for a 56 year old woman (5 foot 2 155 pounds)? Thank you
  • GerryG17
    GerryG17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is a good diet for gout that is also low carb?
  • heimk64
    heimk64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is an appropriate amount of calories for a 57 year old menopausal woman with belly fat? I have my app set at 1500 but the gym trainer said that might be too low. Also, I have been freezing protein shakes and eating them as a treat at the end of the day but this makes my protein macro too high, as they are 30 grams of protein each. Does it matter if I am way over on protein?
  • piccolopat
    piccolopat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat a healthy diet and am trying to lose more weight. What can I eat or not eat to improve the amount and quality of my sleep? I don't eat or drink much after 7 but still awaken 3-4 times every night. I can't help but think that this is one factor in why my weight loss has stalled.
  • ElizBallien
    ElizBallien Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What should I look for in a GOOD probiotic supplement? There are so many to choose from, and I know getting the pre- and probiotics from food sources is preferable. I just can’t stomach everything I need to keep my gut in good health. So, what are things to look for when choosing a probiotic supplement?
  • ashleyruppytebbe
    ashleyruppytebbe Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I am on the spectrum between a vegetarian and vegan and have pain bloating when I eat with an enormous amount of gas all the time Because of my IBS-C, my gastro recommended low FODMAP and I have been doing the elimination phase for 4 or 5 weeks but I am miserable because of am always hungry and still in pain. It's exhausting the amount of effort I have to put into researching ingredients, recipes, cooking, weighing portions, etc. I'm not able to get generally more than 40 g of protein a day on a good day. Looking to see if this will get better or any advice/tips.
  • temcoh
    temcoh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How can I start the process of losing weight? I am 27. I work 10 hours days and am a full time student. I love my sleep and feel like I never have time to workout. I'm addicted to my sweets as well.
  • DD3636
    DD3636 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can you name several good strength training, pre-workout meals or snacks.
  • fadirkhouri
    fadirkhouri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I usually start my day, doing really well with food i.e. eating as per the plan, counting my calories..etc until dinner. I have my planned dinner and then my hunger strikes with all the bad choices. I start binge eating chocolate, chips..etc without counting or caring.
    My calorie intake is inline with daily activity.
    I tried to get rid-off unhealthy snacks but I ended up eating massive quantities of healthy snacks.
  • redseraph72
    redseraph72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How much water should I be drinking if I'm consuming around 80-100 grams of protien a day? And can under hydrating wile on a high protien diet cause jaundice? What can fix this?
  • jlosterh
    jlosterh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do probiotic supplements work for gut health, and if so, which brands do you recommend?
  • paulwilliamsheehan
    paulwilliamsheehan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a kidney donor, the renal unit advised me to stick to a low protein diet. However, on a heavy exercise day MFP is advising me to aim for up to 180gms of protein (I'm about 80 kg). Is this safe re creatine build up?
  • chanceekaiser
    chanceekaiser Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    i am struggling to lose weight, i think i may have insulin resistance, is there a way to test for that?
  • SgtBA_Diana
    SgtBA_Diana Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm turned 50 this month. I'm postmenopause. I work out for a least 30 min five days out of the week & thought I was doing good watching what I was eating. However, I recently was told my total cholesterol & LDL are high. The question I have is what would your recommend in terms of dieting to lower my cholesterol?
  • txflea
    txflea Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hi I’m a 51 year old female, I have hypothyroidism and have been taking medication for it for the last 8 years, my labs were off when I did my blood work and we upped my medication.
    I also had gastric bypass 6 years ago an lost 156 pounds. My weight was staying around 130-135 but now recently I have started putting on a little weight.
    I usually eat a modified keto plan. (high protein, moderate fats, and lower carbs) but it doesn’t seem to be working in taking the 12 pounds I gained back off.
    It seems the weight is just creeping back and no matter how hard I follow my program. I switched it up and added more veggies and protein and lowered my fat and carbs even more. I also try to walk 3 times a week.
    Any suggestions?
  • Kietpt94
    Kietpt94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My friend has a liver enzyme problem, a cholesterol disorder, and is overweight with 30% body fat. This person is overweight due to being sedentary and snacking on nuts during the day. He has just started weight training 3 days a week (full body program - been through 4 weeks) with 3 cardio sessions by taking dance lessons and 1 swimming session a week (they are low intensity). May I ask if this person can use a deficit caloric diet meal plan with a high amount of protein (1.2g protein/lbs lean body mass) and eat several eggs a day (maybe 3-4 eggs)?
  • erhea777
    erhea777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic. Metformin and cholesterol med. what is the proper amount sugar grams per day should be consumed. How much carbs and protein daily?
    While I’ve been able to keep 11 lbs off I haven’t been able to lose anymore. I need to lose at least 20 more pounds.
    Im stuck.
  • deborahpellegrini8altarindadr
    Options
    I have severe osteoarthritis mainly affecting my fingers (several are painful and swollen)..Are there foods I should avoid and which foods should I make sure to include in my diet?
  • Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,818 MFP Staff
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much for the overwhelming interest in getting questions answered by our RD. We are closing the thread to new questions so Stephanie has the time to review all your great questions and provide as many answers as she can tomorrow.

Tune back in tomorrow (3/31) morning and throughout the day to see if your question gets answered!
This discussion has been closed.