Have a Health & Nutrition Question? Ask the RD!

Options

Replies

• stephanienelsonrd
    stephanienelsonrd Posts: 36 MFP Staff
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I'm a wheat free, dairy free vegetarian, I'm struggling to Hit my protein aim without going way over carbs or fat. Any advice?

Hi! Sounds like you need some suggestions for foods that are strictly protein sources without a lot of fat or carbs. Some wheat-free, dairy-free, meat-free high protein sources are eggs (or egg whites if you're too close to your fat goal), soybeans/edamame, or a high-quality protein powder. Other protein sources that are mixed with fats and carbs are tofu, lentils, and beans.

If you need some more support, we have a few active threads where other MyFitnessPal users discuss this topic. Check out:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10232335/list-of-higher-protein-foods/p1
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    I am struggling to reach my protein targets i east only chicken and calamari and I like veg protein but it’s so high in carbohydrates
    and what do I do if I plateau in weight?

If I am trying to loose weight and train for a marathon how can I get right nutrition

Vegetarian proteins high in carbohydrates are great for training for a marathon as well as losing weight! Tofu, soybeans/edamame, lentils, and beans are high in protein but balanced with other macros so they can help you achieve your weight and fitness goals, as long as you tolerate and enjoy them. Good luck training for your marathon!
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    dlddundee wrote: »
    Do macros really matter as long as you are in a calorie deficit?

Yes! Calorie deficits are important for losing weight, but your macro distribution can help you make the best of your calories. Protein and fiber make you feel full, fat gives you lasting energy, and carbs come from some of the best foods from fruit to cake. The right macro distribution, and the right types of foods, make your journey sustainable over time. This should be customized to you and what works best for you. Don't be afraid to play with it!

• stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    dtj670 wrote: »
    I am a 51 yr old female and I’m wondering how many grams of protein should I be eating per day? About 7-8 yrs ago I was told 45-65 g/day as I was seeing an RD for wt loss. Is this too little protein and do the plant proteins count as much as the animal proteins? Thank you!

Your protein goal should be based on your body weight. The general recommendation is 0.8-1g of protein per kg of body weight, which is likely the recommendation you received. However, you can increase your protein to 1.6-1.8g protein per kg of your body weight and it has shown to be effective for weight loss. Plant proteins definitely count as much as animal proteins! They don't have a complete amino acid profile, so you need to get your plant proteins from a variety of sources to ensure you're getting all the different amino acids.

For more information on this, check out this thread, where other MyFitnessPal users have discussed this topic!
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    Do you agree that each major meal should be 25-30 grams of protein?

It depends! In general, I recommend 20-30g of protein in each major meal, but you may need more or less depending on your personal goal, body size, activity level, or medical condition. 20-30g of protein in a meal will give you enough to feel full, and I also recommend 5g of fiber alongside it to maximize fullness. There's a limit on how much protein your body can turn into muscle at one time, so that's why it doesn't always benefit you to eat too much protein at once.

Other MyFitnessPal users have the same interest in protein! Check out this thread to learn more.
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    I hear conflicting information about eating too much spinach. How much is too much? Can you clarify if there are legitimate health risks with spinach and what the rule of thumb is on that?

Spinach is great for you! It has vitamin K (important for blood clotting and bone health), calcium, and lots of antioxidants, and is a great addition to your diet. That being said, too much of any food can have negative consequences. But you'd have to eat A LOT of spinach for you to suffer negative health effects. There isn't an exact amount that is considered "too much", but you shouldn't, for example, eat only spinach as your vegetable every single day. Your best bet for health benefits is to vary your vegetable intake. Consider mixing leafy greens, root vegetables, and red vegetables into your diet to ensure you're getting a variety of vitamins and minerals.
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    Are there foods I CAN eat to lower blood pressure? I know the foods I'm not supposed to eat, or eat in moderation, but what CAN I eat to lower blood pressure?

The DASH diet is a great, evidence based eating plan for lowering your blood pressure. It focuses on fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains, like a Mediterranean style of eating. There are also specific foods that have been shown to help blood pressure. Studies have shown that 250mL beet juice daily lowered blood pressure because the nitrates in beet juice help dilate your blood vessels. Other high-nitrate foods like butterleaf lettuce, arugula, and swiss chard might also help, but haven't been studied as extensively as beet juice.
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    joebillman wrote: »
    What's a good snack that will satisfy me between meals and not fuel my appetite for more?

Satisfying snacks are specific to your needs and preferences; your snacks should always contain your favorite foods! My general recommendation for a filling snack is that is should contain fiber and protein or fat. Something low in fiber, or weighs too heavily on one macro, usually makes you hungry sooner. Some of my favorite macro-balanced snacks are peanut butter toast, fruit and yogurt, hummus and veggies, and crackers with avocado. I also want to point out that portion size is important. Sometimes if you're hungry sooner than expected, you just didn't eat enough!
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    I'm a gluten free vegan, what should I be eating pre and Post workout?
    I seem to be always going over on my fats and not quite making my protein goals.

To help hit your protein goals, edamame/soybeans are a great vegan protein source. It's mostly protein, so if you're coming up short on your protein goal but getting close to carbs or fat, edamame is a great way to bump up that protein without affecting the other macros.
    Good pre-workout ideas for your needs are fruits or smoothies, or gluten-free grains like quinoa or rice. This focuses on carbs.
    For post-workout, you want something balanced with protein and carbs, so I recommend trying black bean tacos on gluten-free tortillas like corn tortillas (check the label to make sure it's gluten-free), or a tofu curry over brown rice.
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    buddha46 wrote: »
    When counting calories as listed on-say-93% ground sirloin, with a Foreman grill does fat cookedrun off reduce calories to be counted or are labeled calories already net of expected cooking? Asking for a friend...

I love this question! Very nutrition nerd-y 🤓
    Essentially, as long as you specify whether the weight you're using is raw or cooked, it'll account for the runoff. For example, if you start with 4 ounces of raw meat, and end up with 3 ounces of cooked meat, as long as you log "4 ounces raw" OR "3 ounces cooked", the runoff will be accounted for and the nutrition information would be correct. However, if you log "4 ounces cooked" or you don't specify whether it's raw or cooked, that wouldn't account for the runoff and the nutrition information would be incorrect.
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    LordWindy wrote: »
    I need to reduce my cholesterol, specifically my LDL which has just been measured at 5.03 mol/L. What foods should I avoid and what foods should I be encouraged to eat please?

To lower your cholesterol, eat lots of high-fiber foods like oats, beans, fruits and veggies, avocados, and whole grains. Switch from red meat to chicken, fish, or veggie proteins. Reduce your alcohol consumption, and exercise at least 150 minutes per week.
    Here's an interesting point for you: probiotics can help lower your cholesterol, as part of their survival method in your stomach! Try incorporating yogurt, kombucha, or tempeh into your diet.
    Overall, I recommend eating out less and preparing your own food at home, and focus on getting a fruit or vegetable at every meal you eat. Start there, and make small changes as you go. Good luck!
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    Looking to increase my good chloresterol HDL. My bad chloresterol numbers are within normal range, however, my HDL is lower. Are there any good food choices to help increase this? Any recommendations to strive for would be greatly appreciated.

The best thing you can do to raise your HDL cholesterol is exercise! I highly recommend focusing on that first. Set small goals to increase your exercise through walking, riding a bike, or whatever else you might enjoy doing from an activity standpoint.
    From a diet standpoint, try reducing your alcohol and focus on omega-3 fatty acids from fish or nuts. Most diet interventions will lower LDL (your "bad" cholesterol) and not have an effect on your HDL, though. Good luck!
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    I’m a 63 year old gluten sensitive female with a history of breast cancer and pancreatic cysts. I have read so much about different diets and lifestyles and am overwhelmed with all the differing opinions. Is their an appropriate macros combination for my age to lose weight? I find myself gaining 5 pounds every 5 years or so. I’m up 13 from my normal early adult weight. Thanks for your help.

You’re not alone when it comes to being overwhelmed by all of the diet options out there. Different diets work for different people because we all respond differently to food. A recent study even showed that identical twins eating the exact same meals had very different reactions! That’s why the key is trying different approaches that factor in your preferences and lifestyle and making changes that are sustainable in the long term. (Flexibility, balance, and enjoying the foods you eat are all important.)

A great place to start is identifying and implementing lifestyle habits you can slowly change over time, like exercising and moving more and adding new, healthy foods into your diet. Small changes can create big results in improving your health, especially if they’re changes you’ll stick with.

When it comes to macros, increasing your protein intake to be 25 to 30% of your calories (or about 1.6 grams per kilogram of body weight) can help with weight loss because it boosts metabolism and curbs your appetite and cravings. Keep in mind: the more protein you eat, the more water you should drink.

Finding what works for you may take a little time, so try to be patient. It’ll be worth it in the long run!
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    Would a Heart Healthy Breakfast properly balance Protein, Fat, and Carbs by combining 200 gram Fage Fat Free Greek Yogurt, 10 grams Bobs Red Mill Whole Rolled Oats, 20 grams Walnuts, 20 grams Raspberries, and 20 grams Blueberries? Is this a Heart Healthy Breakfast? Thanks for the feedback!

This sounds like a great heart healthy breakfast! The probiotics in the yogurt can help lower your cholesterol, the fiber from the oats, nuts, and berries also help lower your cholesterol, and walnuts have omega-3 fatty acids which are good for your heart. It also sounds super filling and tasty, which is also important. Great choice!
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    tdarke1 wrote: »
    I'm a 72 years young, 5'8", 164 lbs. man, I have lost 50 pounds on MFP! No more bread lunchmeat chips beer! Do you have a favorite plant based burger? I want to keep the sodium down.
    "EAT TO LIVE NOT LIVE TO EAT".

Congratulations on your focus on your health! Stories like that make us smile. 😃
    My favorite solution for plant-based burgers is to make my own patty out of mashed-up black beans, onions, garlic, bread crumbs, and an egg. You can play with the flavors here too by mincing up canned chipotle peppers, or mixing in sriracha, or adding harissa paste. I know it's not always realistic to make your own patties, though. I don't love the meat substitutes as a go-to, regular source of veggie protein because they are high in sodium and aren't particularly good for you. So I always encourage trying a product that's bean-based because you get the protein and fiber from it, which is way better for you as a regular appearance in your diet!
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    andsuecamp wrote: »
    Looking for some high protein snacks (besides nuts).

Some of my favorite high-protein snacks are Greek yogurt, edamame, hard-boiled eggs, turkey jerky, peanut butter (on toast), rice and beans, cheese, and protein bars that are low in added sugar. Sometimes, I'll prepare a smoothie with fruit, yogurt, peanut butter powder, and protein powder to have a nice balance of carbs and protein!
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    drkgopal wrote: »
    I am a vegetarian. I eat diary products but not eggs. I have tough time meeting the protein goals that are recommended by Myfitnesspal. I typically only meet about 50% of protein goal that myfitnesspal recommends for my calorie intake. Do you have any suggestions of how I can do better?

To help hit your protein goal, try thinking about your meals by starting with your protein source. For breakfast, vegetarian options might be beans (try a bean breakfast taco), Greek yogurt or protein pancakes. For lunch, try white beans mixed with farro (a high-protein grain) and feta cheese, or build a salad around your favorite vegetarian protein. When snacking, think of the protein source first and then build the rest of the snack around it. An example of this would be picking peanut butter, and then deciding if you want peanut butter toast, or mix peanut butter into yogurt, or put the peanut butter on top of fruit. A final suggestion I have for you is to try edamame as a snack, salad topper, or side to your dinner. Edamame is mostly protein and it can be an easy way to get you over the edge to your calorie goal.
  • stephanienelsonrd
    Options
    I’m working to reduce how many grams of added sugar I eat a day but not sure what the limit is. I eat 2-3 servings of fresh fruit a day. My understanding is the sugar in fresh fruit isn’t part of that calculation. I read labels but still confused sometimes about added sugars.
    How many grams total of added sugar and naturally occurring sugar ( as in fruit) is considered acceptable for a healthy diet?

Great question! First, let's dive into why it's important to distinguish between natural and added sugar. Natural sugar typically comes from fruit, vegetables, or dairy in moderate amounts, and these foods are important sources of other nutrients like fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Natural sugar when eaten with fiber doesn't spike your blood sugar as much, so you don't see negative health effects when you eat sources of natural sugar. On the other hand, added sugar usually comes in high concentrations, and without any other beneficial nutrients. Too much sugar in your diet is associated with diabetes, heart disease, cancer, weight gain, and hunger hormone disruption.
    So how much is too much? The Recommended Daily Allowance on U.S. food labels is 50g of added sugar per day, but the American Heart Association recommends no more than 25g of added sugar for women and no more than 38g of added sugar for men. This is only for added sugar, and not total sugar. As far as total sugar goes, I don't worry about it so much. Focus on getting your fruits and vegetables (btw, way to go on eating 2-3 servings of fruit every day!), and be mindful of your sources of added sugar so you stay under the recommended maximums.
This discussion has been closed.