Diet drinks lead to obesity

Options
You can't mess with evolution and mother nature.
http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/07/13/scientific-evidence-diet-drinks-lead-to-obesity-disease/
Earlier this week, a paper published in Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism pointed out something that the beverage industry would like you to ignore:

accumulating evidence suggests that frequent consumers of sugar substitutes may be at increased risk of excessive weight gain, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. Red more…

The paper, written by Dr. Susan Swithers, Department of Psychological Sciences and Ingestive Behavior Research Center, Purdue University, reviews multiple studies from the past years, and shows that just like people who consume sugary drinks, the diet drinkers are at increased risk for disease.

How could this be? There’s no sugar, no calories, and thus no harm in aspartame, sucralose, and others, right?

WRONG.

Apparently, artificial sweeteners mess with human metabolism. When we ingest sugary sweets, out gut is expecting energy to arrive within minutes. When these calories arrive, the body knows how to effectively deal with them. But when we consume artificial sweeteners, the gut is confused. After a while it is trained not to respond, or to partially respond, even when we are ingesting caloric sweeteners. The result is weight gain.

Artificial sweeteners are a kind of cheating. Nature doesn’t like cheating, and our bodies are paying the price of decades of artificial crap in our diets. Perhaps it’s time to clean up?

Replies

• siyah
    siyah Posts: 8
    Options
    It may be bad for you but it won't cause obesity. ...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    What a load of BS. I drank no diet drinks before losing weight. I was fat. Now I'm not & drink them..... guess that proved that wrong.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous propaganda. There's not one tiny shred of proof or citation or study linked to that horse pile of an article. Way to fearmonger.

ETA: I drink 2-4 diet soda's a day, plus a packet of Sweet'n Low in my 2-6 cups of coffee. :drinker:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    LOL

this is gonna be good
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    tumblr_moad1fwFpq1r3wac6o1_r1_500.gif
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    My friend drinks normal soda and is close to obese. I drink diet and I'm not. We both punched science in the face.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Or maybe it's overconsumption of food that causes all kinds of damage and then leads people to try and find a solution like drinking diet drinks instead of just downregulating their caloric intake.

I dunno...
  • Tctr
    Tctr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    from WebMD -- if they're the ones to believe or not, who knows <shrug>

***showing that people who drink artificially sweetened sodas as part of a calorie-restricted diet lose weight. So does Maureen Storey, PhD, who is senior vice president of science policy for the American Beverage Association.

“The current body of available science shows that low-calorie sweeteners -- such as those used in diet soft drinks -- can help reduce calories and aid in maintaining a healthy weight,” Storey tells WebMD.

She points out that the American Diabetes Association and the American Dietetic Association support the use of no-calorie sweeteners to restrict calories and sugar intake.***
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well crap wish someone would have told me this before I went and lost all this weight drinking 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi a day....... lol I call Major BS...... :drinker:
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Scientists just discovered that FOOD causes obesity. Yes, it's true. One hundred percent of all obese rats ate food. In another study, scientists found that 100% of obese people in their study also ate food! I guess Mother Nature just hates us.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    davidlaughing_zps27e5a07b.gif

I got to 313# without touching a diet soda. Also, in for the gifs
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Oh no, not the diet drinks! Pepsi max how could you do this to me? I thought we were friends? I mean, I've lose nearly 18 pounds since switcing but it says right here you're going to make me obese! :sad:

4396686.jpg

Don't you look at me like that Pepsi Max! We're OVER
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You can't mess with evolution and mother nature.
    http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/07/13/scientific-evidence-diet-drinks-lead-to-obesity-disease/
    Earlier this week, a paper published in Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism pointed out something that the beverage industry would like you to ignore:

accumulating evidence suggests that frequent consumers of sugar substitutes may be at increased risk of excessive weight gain, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. Red more…

The paper, written by Dr. Susan Swithers, Department of Psychological Sciences and Ingestive Behavior Research Center, Purdue University, reviews multiple studies from the past years, and shows that just like people who consume sugary drinks, the diet drinkers are at increased risk for disease.

How could this be? There’s no sugar, no calories, and thus no harm in aspartame, sucralose, and others, right?

WRONG.

Apparently, artificial sweeteners mess with human metabolism. When we ingest sugary sweets, out gut is expecting energy to arrive within minutes. When these calories arrive, the body knows how to effectively deal with them. But when we consume artificial sweeteners, the gut is confused. After a while it is trained not to respond, or to partially respond, even when we are ingesting caloric sweeteners. The result is weight gain.

Artificial sweeteners are a kind of cheating. Nature doesn’t like cheating, and our bodies are paying the price of decades of artificial crap in our diets. Perhaps it’s time to clean up?

Yes, I read something similar from a different independent source. Diet coke is the only unhealthy indulgence I have in my otherwise excellent diet and I am now considering kicking the habit.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Kanye-West-Shaking-Head-No.gif
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Oh no, not the diet drinks! Pepsi max how could you do this to me? I thought we were friends? I mean, I've lose nearly 18 pounds since switcing but it says right here you're going to make me obese! :sad:

4396686.jpg

You should be drinking Coke Zero anyways
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

4396686.jpg

+1
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    Causative link not established, etc.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

4396686.jpg

I don't like coke. I've had half a 2-liter of diet coke in my frig for about 3 weeks now.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I can't believe we're having this debate... again!

I have the absolute, final, undisputed answer on this topic so we can finally put this issue to rest!

Pepsi Max > Coke Zero.

You are welcome.
This discussion has been closed.