Diet drinks lead to obesity

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Come back and testify to that lifestyle in 15 or 20 years. I would love to hear all about it.

Which lifestyle?
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Diet root beer. With marshmallow vodka. I dare you to try to pry it from my cold, dead hands.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    While I definately don't think that diet soda causes obesity ...lol. I do have to say that before even working on my eating I gave up drinking diet soda and I felt better just from that. I do think that aspartame was doing something to my body, however I do still occasionally drink diet drinks made with Splenda, but do keep it to no more than 1 or 2 a week.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    How many ounces of diet mtn do do i need to drink to gain 5 pounds?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    How many ounces of diet mtn do do i need to drink to gain 5 pounds?

Famous-characters-Troll-face-Challenge-accepted-140949.png
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Drinking Diet drinks on the daily while in my contest prep. Got to love pseudo science
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Diet root beer. With marshmallow vodka. I dare you to try to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I will take one, please. Make that two. This is an example of how MFP is helping me improve my life.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    meh i always perferred regular pepsi to diet anything drink enough of those and you can be a lovely 350lb too
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Come back and testify to that lifestyle in 15 or 20 years. I would love to hear all about it.

This 'argument' is such a silly cop out, it ends any semblance of logical debate or exchange of information. There is literally no rebuttal because herpderp, none of us are magical wizards who can see into the future.

Except of course you. What's that like, btw?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This 'argument' is such a silly cop out, it ends any semblance of logical debate or exchange of information. There is literally no rebuttal because herpderp, none of us are magical wizards who can see into the future.

His point stands. Each of us makes decisions we believe in. And time will tell if we're right.

We're sure we are, but time will tell.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I never noticed this with diet drinks but what I did notice is they make me crave sweets more and they cause you to have to pee alot so it isn't as fun if you are very active and have to run to the bathroom alot, and they tend to make me feel dehydrated. So I just drink the Coke Zero instead if that is availabe when I am out and about and don't seem to have that problem with that. If I am home I usually drink mio water or coffee or something most times.
  • Achrya
    Options

His point stands. Each of us makes decisions we believe in. And time will tell if we're right.

I'm healthy now. Mr doctor confirms this, blood tests confirm this, my increase in strength and endurance confirms this but yet somehow in someway I may be unhealthy 20 years from now (In spite of all the research that points to their being no ill effect to diet drinks unless one is drinking what equates to 3 24 packs or something equally as insane a day, and even then that's only in rats and hey, I'm not a rat), and that constitutes a good point? Or is it just the pitiful grasping of someone with nothing else to say?

Unless of course his point is "Hey I don't have anything of actual value to say so I'm just gonna shut down conversation by saying that you might somehow end up unhealthy 20 years down the line!" . In which case yeah, his point stands.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm healthy now. Mr doctor confirms this, blood tests confirm this, my increase in strength and endurance confirms this but yet somehow in someway I may be unhealthy 20 years from now (In spite of all the research that points to their being no ill effect to diet drinks unless one is drinking what equates to 3 24 packs or something equally as insane a day, and even then that's only in rats and hey, I'm not a rat), and that constitutes a good point? Or is it just the pitiful grasping of someone with nothing else to say?

Unless of course his point is "Hey I don't have anything of actual value to say so I'm just gonna shut down conversation by saying that you might somehow end up unhealthy 20 years down the line!" . In which case yeah, his point stands.
    We thought margarine and transfats were fine too.
    Shut er down.

cheers.
  • Achrya
    Options

Shut er down.

cheers.

And then we did studies to prove differently.

Just like we study diet sodas and the things in them. Nothing is more studied than aspartame, as far as substances consumed by humans go (Not hyperbole) and nothing has shown any issues. So what are those thousands of studies missing that's gonna show up later? At what point are all those studies enough to trust that something isn't harmful? A thousand more? Ten thousand? A million? At what stage do we go 'Yeah, All of those piles of research may have a point.'?

Worst. Shutdown. Ever.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've drank diet drinks my entire life (my mother was diabetic so that's all she'd buy). I've never been obese.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Shut er down.

cheers.

Just like we study diet sodas and the things in them. Nothing is more studied than aspartame, as far as substances consumed by humans go (Not hyperbole) and nothing has shown any issues. So what are those thousands of studies missing that's gonna show up later? At what point are all those studies enough to trust that something isn't harmful? A thousand more? Ten thousand? A million? At what stage do we go 'Yeah, All of those piles of research may have a point.'?

Worst. Shutdown. Ever.
    wasn't my shutdown. YOU wanted to. I said go for it.
    Who sponsored those studies?
    I'm NOT saying it causes obesity!!!!!
    I am asking if we know enough.
    Id bet not.

Good night.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    They do cause cancer. I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

I'd like to see that research. Can you post a link for me? Thanks!
  • Achrya
    Options

Shut er down.

cheers.

Worst. Shutdown. Ever.
    wasn't my shutdown. YOU wanted to. I said go for it.
    Who sponsored those studies?
    I'm NOT saying it causes obesity!!!!!
    I am asking if we know enough.
    Id bet not.

Good night.

Is it time for
    tinfoil-hat.jpg

They do cause cancer

:explode:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

What DOESN'T cause cancer?
This discussion has been closed.