Diet drinks lead to obesity

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    They do cause cancer. I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague!!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGp6JtTxo3OvsiLFcyxZ67UcoJ98OOtF0iVPeKFW6_B2tYgcbUuQ
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

What DOESN'T cause cancer?
    Please make a thread on this and link it here so I can find it...I would like to see these people try to answer this :p
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Please make a thread on this and link it here so I can find it...I would like to see these people try to answer this :p

100% of people who get cancer drink water. EVERYONE, WATER CAUSES CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    drink all the fizzy sweet artificial *kitten* you guys want to. I'm happy without it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Come back and testify to that lifestyle in 15 or 20 years. I would love to hear all about it.

This 'argument' is such a silly cop out, it ends any semblance of logical debate or exchange of information. There is literally no rebuttal because herpderp, none of us are magical wizards who can see into the future.

Except of course you. What's that like, btw?
    His point stands. Each of us makes decisions we believe in. And time will tell if we're right.

We're sure we are, but time will tell.

I'm healthy now. Mr doctor confirms this, blood tests confirm this, my increase in strength and endurance confirms this but yet somehow in someway I may be unhealthy 20 years from now (In spite of all the research that points to their being no ill effect to diet drinks unless one is drinking what equates to 3 24 packs or something equally as insane a day, and even then that's only in rats and hey, I'm not a rat), and that constitutes a good point? Or is it just the pitiful grasping of someone with nothing else to say?

Unless of course his point is "Hey I don't have anything of actual value to say so I'm just gonna shut down conversation by saying that you might somehow end up unhealthy 20 years down the line!" . In which case yeah, his point stands.

Does it? I've been consuming various artificial sweeteners for 20 yrs and and am healthy to the best of my knowledge. The worst health issue I have ever had is a fractured finger. Do I need to consume them for an additional 20 to be considered valid? Why? Because if we wait long enough, just about all of us will have some kind of health issue.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not imply causation.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Obese people who are gaining weight consume more calories.

Any study (or analysis of studies) that concludes obese people are obese because they consume more of X (or less of Y) sounds obvious.

Some obese people have less energy. Having less energy may mean less cooking. Relying on prepared foods may mean eating less vegetables. Conclusion: eating less vegetables will make you obese.

There is a correlation with chocolate consumption and weight? Could that be because the more you weigh the more calories you can eat?

Did any of those diet soda studies measure consumption in litres per kilogram of body weight? Just wondering.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    These studies talk as though the body has a mind of its own.

Confuses the gut?? lol

All I know is this, I like my vodka and diet coke when I go to the pub at the weekend, I consume several in a session, if I do not drink diet coke, then it will be normal coke and believe me, it will be the calories in those normal cokes that will aid me in getting overweight, not the diet stuff.

Going to continue drinking diet coke.

oh and I am going to continue taking sweeteners in my tea and coffee too, just for good measure :drinker:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Energy crises solved right there - never mind oil, gas, nuclear - we can get energy from something that has none! (or very little.)

drink all the fizzy sweet artificial *kitten* you guys want to. I'm happy without it.
    Hope you don't drink tap water, nor bottled water - both processed, so 'artificial' ;).
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Glad to know 0 calorie beverages pack on the pounds. Gotta exchange my coke zero for cream soda.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

100% of people who get cancer drink water. EVERYONE, WATER CAUSES CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!

I have cancer and I've never had water.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Damn... I knew I was gaining 150kg drinking those coke zeros... :/ best stop
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Maybe psychologists should stick to psychology.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Looked at the actual paper, have a couple of comments:

First in the introduction it states that it is an opinion paper. That's important. Also the paper does NOT claim that artificial sweeteners are the cause of obesity.

Secondly:
    In the first, de Ruyter et al. [31] reported that primarily normal weight children (ages 4 to 11 years) assigned to consume a single ASB daily for 18 months gained less weight, and had smaller increases in skinfold thickness, waist-to-height ratios, and fat mass compared with children assigned to consume one SSB daily.

ASB = artificially sweetened beverage, SSB = sugar sweetened beverage

So while epidemiological studies do find correlation between diet soda and weight gain, interventional studies do not.

Also, the paper makes the point that artificial sweeteners may result in cravings for more sweets. If that's you, then by all means don't drink them. I find the opposite to be true for myself. If I'm craving something sweet a diet soda will satisfy that craving.

Finally:
    In addition, some of the effects of consuming ASB on these negative health out- comes could reflect a type of cognitive process in which knowledge that an ASB that is perceived to be ‘healthy’ grants permission to over consume other ‘non-healthy’ foods [32]

Calorie tracking should negate that effect, since you can see exactly how many calories you are consuming.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Come back and testify to that lifestyle in 15 or 20 years. I would love to hear all about it.

This 'argument' is such a silly cop out, it ends any semblance of logical debate or exchange of information. There is literally no rebuttal because herpderp, none of us are magical wizards who can see into the future.

Rude much? It wasn't an "argument" it was a statement herpderp. My point is simple: as someone who has been on this earth a little bit longer than others, all the things you think you know to be true (and on this forum ABSOLUTE), aren't always constant. Your body changes over time. Ask your Mom or Dad, or your Grandparents. And what works for you - including drinking diet soda and eating ice cream everyday, may not always. And for those of you, who have aged perfectly, please spare me (or drank a twelve of diet everyday and are perfectly healthy).

My comment obviously didn't end any semblence of logical debate or exchange of information because this the MFP! Hardly a debate society - which you obviously want to join.

Knowing this, btw, is great. It makes me a better, more understanding, and nicer person. You might want to try that sometime.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    BRB going to go gain 100pounds on zero calorie diet coke .
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Rude much? It wasn't an "argument" it was a statement herpderp. My point is, as someone who has been on this earth a little bit longer than others, all the things you think you know to be true (and on this forum ABSOLUTE), aren't always constant. Your body changes over time. Ask your Mom or Dad, or your Grandparents. And for those of you, who have aged perfectly, please spare me.

Knowing this, btw, is great. It makes me a better, more understanding, and nicer person. You might want to try that sometime.

The "statement" was an implication that the "lifestyle" (whatever that means; you didn't mention what "lifestyle" you were talking about) will lead to long-term health effects.

If you think that's true, prove it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

His point stands. Each of us makes decisions we believe in. And time will tell if we're right.

I'm healthy now. Mr doctor confirms this, blood tests confirm this, my increase in strength and endurance confirms this but yet somehow in someway I may be unhealthy 20 years from now (In spite of all the research that points to their being no ill effect to diet drinks unless one is drinking what equates to 3 24 packs or something equally as insane a day, and even then that's only in rats and hey, I'm not a rat), and that constitutes a good point? Or is it just the pitiful grasping of someone with nothing else to say?

Unless of course his point is "Hey I don't have anything of actual value to say so I'm just gonna shut down conversation by saying that you might somehow end up unhealthy 20 years down the line!" . In which case yeah, his point stands.
    We thought margarine and transfats were fine too.
    Shut er down.

cheers.

And then we did studies to prove differently.

Just like we study diet sodas and the things in them. Nothing is more studied than aspartame, as far as substances consumed by humans go (Not hyperbole) and nothing has shown any issues. So what are those thousands of studies missing that's gonna show up later? At what point are all those studies enough to trust that something isn't harmful? A thousand more? Ten thousand? A million? At what stage do we go 'Yeah, All of those piles of research may have a point.'?

Worst. Shutdown. Ever.
    wasn't my shutdown. YOU wanted to. I said go for it.
    Who sponsored those studies?
    I'm NOT saying it causes obesity!!!!!
    I am asking if we know enough.
    Id bet not.

Good night.

Is it time for
    tinfoil-hat.jpg

They do cause cancer

:explode:
    Are you this rude and immature in "real life"?
    Enjoy your soda and all the other things you're sure of. cheers
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

We thought margarine and transfats were fine too.
    Shut er down.

cheers.

And then we did studies to prove differently.

Just like we study diet sodas and the things in them. Nothing is more studied than aspartame, as far as substances consumed by humans go (Not hyperbole) and nothing has shown any issues. So what are those thousands of studies missing that's gonna show up later? At what point are all those studies enough to trust that something isn't harmful? A thousand more? Ten thousand? A million? At what stage do we go 'Yeah, All of those piles of research may have a point.'?

Worst. Shutdown. Ever.
    wasn't my shutdown. YOU wanted to. I said go for it.
    Who sponsored those studies?
    I'm NOT saying it causes obesity!!!!!
    I am asking if we know enough.
    Id bet not.

Good night.

Is it time for
    tinfoil-hat.jpg

They do cause cancer

:explode:
    Are you this rude and immature in "real life"?
    Enjoy your soda and all the other things you're sure of. cheers

One more person to add to the list of those with hidden progress and hidden diaries decrying the horrors of chemicals.
This discussion has been closed.