Diet drinks lead to obesity

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You can't mess with evolution and mother nature.

Artificial sweeteners are a kind of cheating. Nature doesn’t like cheating, and our bodies are paying the price of decades of artificial crap in our diets. Perhaps it’s time to clean up?
    Nature is a metaphor, not a person. Nature, being a metaphor, is not capable of liking or disliking cheating.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    oe64x.jpg
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Artificial sweeteners are a kind of cheating. Nature doesn’t like cheating, and our bodies are paying the price of decades of artificial crap in our diets. Perhaps it’s time to clean up?
    Nature is a metaphor, not a person. Nature, being a metaphor, is not capable of liking or disliking cheating.

For that matter can our "gut" get confused?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    mothernature_zps94995899.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/07/13/scientific-evidence-diet-drinks-lead-to-obesity-disease/
    Earlier this week, a paper published in Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism pointed out something that the beverage industry would like you to ignore:

accumulating evidence suggests that frequent consumers of sugar substitutes may be at increased risk of excessive weight gain, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. Red more…

The paper, written by Dr. Susan Swithers, Department of Psychological Sciences and Ingestive Behavior Research Center, Purdue University, reviews multiple studies from the past years, and shows that just like people who consume sugary drinks, the diet drinkers are at increased risk for disease.

How could this be? There’s no sugar, no calories, and thus no harm in aspartame, sucralose, and others, right?

WRONG.

Apparently, artificial sweeteners mess with human metabolism. When we ingest sugary sweets, out gut is expecting energy to arrive within minutes. When these calories arrive, the body knows how to effectively deal with them. But when we consume artificial sweeteners, the gut is confused. After a while it is trained not to respond, or to partially respond, even when we are ingesting caloric sweeteners. The result is weight gain.

There is nothing in the linked study that supports the gut getting confused

Also

autism_organic_foods.jpg
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Oh good! I can check this topic of my MFP thread BINGO for the day…. Going for blackout here!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I got fat with regular cola. I lost weight with diet. I know water is a much better alternative but having a diet coke once in a while, for me is a better alternative to binging.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Also

autism_organic_foods.jpg
    I just fell out of my chair laughing.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Also

autism_organic_foods.jpg
    tumblr_mqqkrxJZW41rbt85bo1_500.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Also

autism_organic_foods.jpg

Hey, don't laugh at the chart. It's based on data and has been graphed so it must be true and not taken even a wee bit out of context. It's not like people go around suggestion that things must have a causative relationship for no good reason!

Wait. Nevermind.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Also

autism_organic_foods.jpg

Hey, don't laugh at the chart. It's based on data and has been graphed so it must be true and not taken even a wee bit out of context. It's not like people go around suggestion that things must have a causative relationship for no good reason!

Wait. Nevermind.
    Funny-gif-baby-I-See-What-You-Did-There.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet sodas. I do use some Splenda in other foods.
    A question for those who've lost while drinking diet soda: what were you drinking while you were gaining weight? Diet or regular?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    correlation.png
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    davidlaughing_zps27e5a07b.gif

I got to 313# without touching a diet soda. Also, in for the gifs

Haha me too, I don't like diet soda and never did. Congrats on the weight loss.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    A question for those who've lost while drinking diet soda: what were you drinking while you were gaining weight? Diet or regular?

I drank regular Pepsi and sugar-laden iced tea. When I cut those things out and went to diet drinks, I started to lose most of the 'stubborn' weight that I'd been carrying around... and in the 3 years since then, I haven't gained a thing back.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Diet Coke... to wash down my Big Mac and fries.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    When I was at my biggest, I was drinking 500+ calories of soda a day. One of the changes I made was to switch to diet soda. I lost 40 pounds in one summer.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Diet Coke... to wash down my Big Mac and fries.

Big Macs are nothin. Only 550 calories. Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese and fries, followed by an ice cream cone. All with Diet Coke. This is a pretty regular occurrence for me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I drank Pepsi max, flavored sparkling water, and lemon tea with sugar. Now I drink Pepsi max, flavored sparkling water, and lemon tea with splenda. Not much has changed, actually, as far as drinks go. I do eat less food though.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Come back and testify to that lifestyle in 15 or 20 years. I would love to hear all about it.
This discussion has been closed.