Starting a new challenge - Couch to Marathon

In 2013, I lost my wife aged just 21 to Ovarian Cancer.
She was a professional footballer, and we were both in great shape.
That year I ran the Great Manchester Run - 10k without any specific training.

Fast forward 9 years, and life has hit me in the midriff. Working to provide for our 2 children meant things like football, gym etc fell by the wayside.

I've got from around 10stone 8lbs, to 14 stone 1lb.

My biggest issue has been sugar, 3 spoons in a coffee or tea, 3/4 times a day soon adds up. Couple it with a distinct lack of exercise and it has formed a not-so-lovely fat belly that I need rid of.

One of my late wife's relatives who i'm very close to, ran the Manchester Marathon last Sunday, and after some discussion, i've now signed up for the 2023 Manchester Marathon.

I'm not under any illusions here, I know it's going to be difficult, but my approach is either I train for it, or I die doing it. So i'm treating it as if a Doctor has told me I need to train or i'm going to die.

I was humbled on my first day in the gym. The plan was to walk 1.5 min and run 1 min for a total 20 minutes. Unfortunately, I only managed 13 minutes, 0.81miles. My HR was 185.

But it was a start, and i've got a whole year to get there, and I will get there.

The sugar is ditched, i've cut to around 1700 calories a day. It'll take some time to see the results, but once some of the additional weight has gone, the training will be easier and more enjoyable.

Replies

• GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    edited April 2022
    Firstly, I’m sorry to hear of your wife’s untimely death. You have clearly worked extremely hard to prioritise your children, and I cannot imagine how difficult that has been.

But as you seem to know - YOU MATTER TOO! I’m so glad you’re finding ways to take care of yourself and have some personal goals in mind, you deserve to be the healthiest and happiest version of yourself.

I’ve sent you a friend request, you seem like a cool guy and I look forward to cheering you on and seeing you smash your goals 💪