Less Alcohol ~ MAY 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Replies

• ducky133
    ducky133 Posts: 82 Member
    @lmlmrn would love to see the painting!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    YES @lmlmrn show us your diamond painting!!!!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    edited May 2022
    No AF days this week so far. I wanted a glass of wine at around 5:00, but I knew if I started then, I would have more than two. So, rescued myself and had club soda and cranberry in a martini glass. Then I enjoyed my planned glass of wine…..

…. Until I didn’t. My dinner-to-wine ratio was off, so I poured another few sips so I could finish dinner and wine together. And you know what? I actually did not enjoy the last few sips of wine! Lesson learned, the law of diminishing returns also applies to my enjoyment of wine!

Oh also, the exercise I did on Thursday really helped my stress level!
  • MissMay
    benchstep wrote: »
    A lot of my problem is that I love wine. I drink some wine and then I get hungry. Two years ago my life became very stressful and I started to drink wine at night after work to relax and I had gained at least 70 pounds. One Year ago I decided to get back to my healthy eating habits and the weight came off. I'm down to 123 and still trying to get to 110. Of course I no longer drink wine. Not to say I won't ever drink wine again but I was up to 2 bottles a night.

Sorry did not mean to overlook your post.
    Welcome.
    Congrats on shedding those excess pounds.
    From what I hear from others that wine devil is a sneaky guy, glad you are ridding him from sitting on your shoulder.

Great to have you joining us.
  • MissMay
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    @Womona A lot of good insights, right there. So true about "eating the elephant" one bite at a time... It really does lower the stress better than anything else, especially compared to fretting how big the whole thing is. But hard to do in the teeth of it. That strikes pretty close to home right now.

@globalhiker Another tart beverage that is a gorgeous color for mixing is hibiscus flowers tea. Mexicans call it agua frescas or agua de Jamaica. A friend taught me to infuse tequila with it (also, gorgeous color) and I had so many flowers left over I tried other things. When you boil the flowers then strain, you get the "tea" which is the very concentrated agua de Jamaica and also the hydrated flowers which Mexicans use to make the incredibly delicious enchiladas Jamaica. A real treat! (Sautee flowers with a little onion and jalapeno for filling and use a rich sauce with cheese on top because the filling is tart. You don't want another tart sauce like tomatillo, for example.)

Happy Cinco de Mayo! We love celebrating Latino cultural heritage, but it's definitely and Americano thing. In Mexico they don't celebrate it at all. :D Fun fact: It commemorates the fighting spirit of outmatched Mexicans who momentarily beat the French before ultimately losing at Puebla. It always seemed like throwing shade to celebrate a defeat, but then in Texas we celebrate a battle where Mexicans completely decimated Texans, so what do I know? I convinced DH to cancel a work thing tonight so we could have a date. Plan to order one drink. :drinker:

I LOVE YOUR LITTLE EMOJI!!!

woo hoo date night!!!
  • MissMay
    Day 3 for me and feeling so much better already!

1-A / 2-AF o:)

@MissMay thank you for the words of encouragement!

So much going on with you all, my life is so boring in comparison, but I am okay with boring at this time! :D

@looneycatblue I know your life is NOT boring!!!! You have shared wonderful stories with us in the past. 😁

Awesome job on the fact your feeling better and have some AF days to help you out.
  • MissMay
    Womona wrote: »
    No AF days this week so far. I wanted a glass of wine at around 5:00, but I knew if I started then, I would have more than two. So, rescued myself and had club soda and cranberry in a martini glass. Then I enjoyed my planned glass of wine…..

…. Until I didn’t. My dinner-to-wine ratio was off, so I poured another few sips so I could finish dinner and wine together. And you know what? I actually did not enjoy the last few sips of wine! Lesson learned, the law of diminishing returns also applies to my enjoyment of wine!

I really liked reading how you DID NOT ENJOY your last sips of wine. A lesson we can all learn from. ❣
  • MissMay
    joallana wrote: »
    Today is 7 days alcohol free for me!

Dawn, your garden looks great. I’m very excited to see things growing again!

I wrapped up a really stressful work thing today and instead of celebrating with a glass of wine, I bought a bunch of trellises that I will be stapling (?) (haha should probably figure that out) to the side of my house for some flowering vines. I think what I got was coral honeysuckle but it’s been in my greenhouse for several months and I lost the label. I’m really enjoying seeing all the pollinators enjoy the natives I’ve got planted. Saw the first swallowtail of the season the other day! Next year I’ll be figuring out where to plant some trumpet vine in the hopes of attracting hummingbirds.

Congrats on your 7AF days( as of Wednesday).
    I also have trellises set up for climbing plants. I have done a few different varieties over the years to keep it interesting.

Hope you get tons of hummers coming to your flowers.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 783 Member
    Good day to everyone!
    So about yesterday, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. So on Thursday I told you went went out for the late lunch/early dinner pub grub with beer. Not a problem. Yesterday, I folded which is not like me anymore but I wanted fish and chips vs. pork chops. So down to another pub food place. Eat my fish and chips, a beer next to me. We finish, start driving home and things are feeling not so good on the insides.
    The revenge Kami said girl...two days in a row....I will show you......food poisoning. Made it home only to be sick for awhile then to bed with the shakes. Lesson learned no more two days in a row OR skip fish and chips. Not sure which direction I was being led.

@Womona congrats on not enjoying wine LOL
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,551 Member
    @lmlmrn

Yikes, food poisoning! Hope that you feel better now.

@MissMay
    You KNOW that we need to see a photo of this year's hat choice!!!
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,304 Member
    Quick check-in to stay accountable:

2-AF / 4-A

I am planning to stay AF today and tomorrow, so I can get back to the 50/50 ratio!
  • thehealthyadventurer
    thehealthyadventurer Posts: 14 Member
    Quick check in to start accountable -

1st: A (2 drinks)
    2nd: A (1 drink)
    3rd: AF
    4th: AF
    5th: AF
    6th: A (3 drinks) - Went for an after work drink with friends and then out for dinner with family. Was an enjoyable night but I broke my 2 drinks only rule.
    7th: A (2 drinks)

Family is visiting for the weekend (it's mother's day in Australia) so I've struggled to limit my alcohol intake. I opted for lemon lime and bitters at lunch rather than wine yesterday which I was proud of myself for and I didn't suggest we open a second bottle of wine at dinner. Going to a winery today for mother's Day lunch so I will be having a glass of wine with my mum to celebrate but will limit myself to just one or two.
    As I said, social events are hard for me but I'm working on it.