What to eat before walking

Options
In the morning I have 2 cups black decaf coffee & a banana. About 1-1/2 hours later I walk 2 miles with my dog. It takes us just under an hour which includes her stopping to sniff the bushes & roll around in the grass sometimes. Lately I've been trying to increase our pace. About half way through our walk I've been getting hungry. What should I eat before to take me through the walk? No dairy, no eggs, no meat -- I'm vegan. I don't like protein bars or energy bars & I don't have a blender for smoothies. And how long before I walk should I eat?

Replies

• nevxz
    nevxz Posts: 7
    Options
    I have been having the same question running through my head? I normally drink a soy protein drink before I take a two hour walk with my baby every morning. I also get hungry while I am walking. I took a piece of fruit this morning to calm the hunger but I do not know it is bad because I am trying to lose weight. I just started MFP this week and I have been blown away at the calories it is telling me to eat. Can someone please give some advice. I push a jogging stroller and I also breastfeed, does that mean I should eat more?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake, head out the door and I'm good for like 3 hours.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same question running through my head? I normally drink a soy protein drink before I take a two hour walk with my baby every morning. I also get hungry while I am walking. I took a piece of fruit this morning to calm the hunger but I do not know it is bad because I am trying to lose weight. I just started MFP this week and I have been blown away at the calories it is telling me to eat. Can someone please give some advice. I push a jogging stroller and I also breastfeed, does that mean I should eat more?
    If you are breast-feeding, I suggest checking with your doctor about your calorie intake.
  • nevxz
    Options
    Thanks, I asked him last time I was in for a check up and he told me not to go on a strict diet just to up my calorie by 500 calories and eat healthy foods, no refined sugars, flour or soft drinks? I thought about going on the herbalife diet? Does anyone know anything about it?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the herbalife. If it's not something you want to sustain forever, then it's best to leave it alone. Go for sustainable. You want to be happy. And yes, if you're breastfeeding, you should be eating more calories. read this: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-calories-fluids/
  • nevxz
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice!
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    In the morning I have 2 cups black decaf coffee & a banana. About 1-1/2 hours later I walk 2 miles with my dog. It takes us just under an hour which includes her stopping to sniff the bushes & roll around in the grass sometimes. Lately I've been trying to increase our pace. About half way through our walk I've been getting hungry. What should I eat before to take me through the walk? No dairy, no eggs, no meat -- I'm vegan. I don't like protein bars or energy bars & I don't have a blender for smoothies. And how long before I walk should I eat?

Now that you've answered nevxz what's my solution.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Whole grain carbs with fiber that digest slowly and won't spike blood sugar such as oatmeal sans excess added sugar.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Now that you've answered nevxz what's my solution.

I was having a similar problem: I was running out of energy halfway through my 50 minute morning walks. I now have a banana or piece of fruit just prior to my walk.

See if this helps: Have your banana 20 minutes or so before your walk. That's just enough time for the carbs in the banana to kick in during your walk.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Eating the banana closer to when I start my walk sounds like a good plan. Thanks.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    A banana is a good half-hour meal so you don't end up getting tired. However, I would eat a more protein-laden breakfast.

You're vegan, so is there a way to have a tofu scramble? Peanut butter? I've found that 3 oz. of protein (or more) and a carb for breakfast does wonders for my mood and stamina. I would eat a spinach scramble on whole wheat and I'd be good until lunch, or I'd melt cheese and garlic on a piece of bread.

Basically, you need to eat more for breakfast and you need to eat some kind of protein to keep you from feeling hungry. Oatmeal can work and there are PLENTY of recipes for that. I also came across this for a morning sweet potato!

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-sweet-mo-9080

And another for a butternut squash and black bean burrito (I can't resist a good burrito!)

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/

You need to spend a little time in the morning taking care of your needs, too. Eat a delicious breakfast!
  • LuckyFur
    LuckyFur Posts: 96
    Options
    I would get down on your hands and knees and eat some grass.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I can't eat a lot before I workout but I do have to eat something before I run in the morning so I always have a banana about 10 minutes before I leave and that does the trick.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You are most likely not hungry but thirsty. Just take water with you. Your body is not going to starve if you dont eat for a 2 mile walk. If you are getting tired from walking then I'm guessing more sleep is needed. Try water 1st.
  • Vick53
    Vick53 Posts: 15
    Options
    Uncalled for (wrt comment about eating grass)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Crikey. It's walking. Eat whatever you want. Or don't. No special meals are required before, during, or after walking. Feel free to eat whatever floats your boat.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    whatever you want.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you ate during your walk it would save time.