What to eat before walking

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I remembered an article I read about homemade 'energy gels. They are vegan, and therefore, I win the internet:

Coffee chia seed energy gel (vegan, gluten-free)

1 tablespoon chia seeds
    1/2 cup pre-made coffee
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1/10 teaspoon salt
    Place chia seeds in a bowl. Cover with coffee. Let mixture sit anywhere from an hour to overnight. Place in the refrigerator and lightly cover if making the night before.

Once chia seeds have gelled, add maple syrup and salt. Stir.

Place a small plastic bag in a cup, sides folded over the rim. Pour chia seed mixture into the plastic bag and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

I also found this recipe, but it requires a blender: http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/diy-endurance-gels/
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Did we just witness a threadjacking?

Should one of us call 911 or something?

Dammit, I fell for it. Thanks for pointing it out. Thread has been rescued.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you walk 26 miles/day at an hour/mile then... yes. I'm impressed.

Science & math be damned. I have a new plan...
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Opps didn't mean to stir the thread jack pot.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Wasn't me that did it. I posted 2 times...others started on me.....

Anyway back to OP..... you are walking for 90 mins. You need to drink water, you are not going to drop to the ground & have puppy drag you back home from lack of energy.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Whatever the hell you want because walking isn't that serious and doesn't take a special diet to maintain? :huh:

Like. Put some peanut butter on your banana or throw the banana into some oatmeal, idk. Maybe some flax or whatever people eat these days.

Wait. Walking isn't that serious?

Damnit tell me that now. I've just walked half a marathon before 1:30pm & will have walked double that by the time I get back from the supermarket.

Walking not serious? Since when?

So you walked 26 miles? How long did that take you?

Depends on my mood, but it can take me about 4 hours if I'm in a great mood. Walking serious enough for you.

You walk 26 miles in 4 hours?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Whatever the hell you want because walking isn't that serious and doesn't take a special diet to maintain? :huh:

Like. Put some peanut butter on your banana or throw the banana into some oatmeal, idk. Maybe some flax or whatever people eat these days.

Damnit tell me that now. I've just walked half a marathon before 1:30pm & will have walked double that by the time I get back from the supermarket.

Since always. Just because you walk far doesn't somehow increase the seriousness, I'm afraid.

I walk everywhere (I don't drive) and I can assure you at no stage have I thought to myself "Damn, this is hard. I need a special snack."

Nor have I. I don't drive, I walk everywhere. Hell I'll walk 17km just for a damn light-globe, 23km for mascara.

Cool, we're both non driving walkers. Grocery store, the navy base, mall, gym, the beach, Walmart...I walk them all. And its not serious. I'm doing it right now, as I head to my class at the gym.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Depends on my mood, but it can take me about 4 hours if I'm in a great mood. Walking serious enough for you.

The fastest walked marathon completed by a woman was Susan Armenta at 4:39:39. You are telling me that you beat that record?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Threadjacking be damned.

In...

...to learn how to improve my marathon time...

...by walking the whole thing...

...(in a certain mood, of course).
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Wasn't me that did it. I posted 2 times...others started on me.....

Anyway back to OP..... you are walking for 90 mins. You need to drink water, you are not going to drop to the ground & have puppy drag you back home from lack of energy.

I don't think that's the issue. The OP said she was hungry which is a legit complaint when she has only had a banana and coffee almost 3 hours after waking.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

yes... she finishes faster than many runners. Seven days per week. SEVEN!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Walking at 6.5mph...what?!
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Wondered the same thing. Elite race walkers can do a marathon in 3 hrs.

Very fast race walkers in about 4.5.

I'm not convinced.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Well. I have to say that I am very impressed. I didn't realize that we had a world record holder here.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Well. I have to say that I am very impressed. I didn't realize that we had a world record holder here.

Yep. I mean, no one has been able to beat Susan Armenta's record for fastest walked marathon for women since about 2003.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Yep. I mean, no one has been able to beat Susan Armenta's record for fastest walked marathon for women since about 2003.

You think that she also carries her groceries on these walks?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

You think that she also carries her groceries on these walks?

No idea. But good point!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

Wondered the same thing. Elite race walkers can do a marathon in 3 hrs.

Very fast race walkers in about 4.5.

I'm not convinced.

Maybe she has a 15 foot inseam and covers 10 yards at a stride. :huh:

I happen to walk with a very serious limp. It never makes amusing anecdotes or quips. It also never laughs at my jokes, THAT's how I know my walking is serious.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I happen to walk with a very serious limp. It never makes amusing anecdotes or quips. It also never laughs at my jokes, THAT's how I know my walking is serious.

You. I like.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    IN....to hear about epic walking and record breaking.