is this abuse? I think it is!

Options
twinketta
twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
There is a program about to start in the UK about a guy called Ricky who weighed 896lbs at 39 years old.

Sadly he died, I have not watched the program, but I have read and watched TV of similar situations.

Surely, the people that do not seek help for the person concerned is abusing.

What is your opinion?

Replies

• VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm watching Rhod Gilbert...

I'm guessing probably yes though.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're gonna make a 900 lb man do a damn thing he doesn't want to do
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    possibly at a certain point when mobility become limited you wonder
  • twinketta
    Options
    So you're blaming other for his death? That's BS!

Who is feeding him and cleaning up after him? Surely he reached a point where he could not do it for himself?
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're gonna make a 900 lb man do a damn thing he doesn't want to do
    Yes but no. If his relatives really cared about him they would have dogged him to seek help. Sadly I see a lot of family and friends enable super-obese people because they think it's unkind or rude to encourage them to lose weight.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

Who is feeding him and cleaning up after him? Surely he reached a point where he could not do it for himself?

When things got to that point IMO he had an enabler...not an abuser.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

You can bet he couldnt perform basic ADL without assistance. It's a shame he didnt get the addictive counseling and therapy he needed before it was too late.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    So I should sue McDonald's for my extra weight? Surely they should say "Max, you don't need that Big Mac"

Right?
    McDonald's doesn't care because it's only there to make money off you. The role of family and friends should be the opposite of that.
  • twinketta
    Options
    Folks, its called free will. Look it up. You can't force the man into therapy. Yuu can't withhold food. He made his choices. He died with them.

If you eat yourself into being bed and can not make choices in a rational way, then is it free will or are you medically/psychologically impaired?
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    So I should sue McDonald's for my extra weight? Surely they should say "Max, you don't need that Big Mac"

Right?

Sue coke or pepsi I think you could find more evidence for HFCS increasing our waists then McDonalds
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Its not abuse, its enabling but he allowed himself to get to that point, we all have choices
  • Southern_Belle_LA
    Southern_Belle_LA Posts: 931 Member
    Options

Right?

^This! and it was attempted and failed and a law was passed to prevent people from suing them for getting fat!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Unless he was being force fed, or is mentally unable to make his own choices, HE is the one who decided what or what not to put in his mouth.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It's almost like dealing with an addict. He was addicted to food. But I have experienced addicts in my life alcohol and drugs. And as a family we would speak to them about seeking help. But change only happens, when they are ready to change. And if my family member died from a drug overdose, it wouldn't be my fault. Because I tried. It's called accountability.
  • twinketta
    Options

Right?

^This! and it was attempted and failed and a law was passed to prevent people from suing them for getting fat!

Present this law to me please?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Folks, its called free will. Look it up. You can't force the man into therapy. Yuu can't withhold food. He made his choices. He died with them.

If you eat yourself into being bed and can not make choices in a rational way, then is it free will or are you medically/psychologically impaired?

It's still free will, even if some people consider that his choices were wrong, it's still HIS DECISION.