WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2022

Options

Replies

• AthleteLori
    AthleteLori Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Welcome Shelle in MD ( @Shelle68 ) and Nikki in Dallas ( @Galrayne )! I just joined this group too. You both have so much going on. I hope you get the support you need.

Happy Anniversary Machka!

My rescheduled appointment with my doctor is Monday afternoon. I'm actually looking forward to it. I am so motivated lately to take steps toward a healthier life. I have also been more disciplined when my motivation is low.

I hope everyone is finding something good about today.

Lori in IL
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Well im going to go pick up Alfie and drop him off at Tom and Elena's for overnight. Once a mom always a mom .. will pick up my Cpap to bring over here..
    I didn't get alot of sleep last night and will probably not get alot the next couple nights either.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) What changed my life for the better was getting clear about what was most important in my life and putting my energy into those things. What's important to me may not be what's important to you and vice versa.

:) It wasn't until I turned 62 when my husband started a strict eating plan for his health that I decided that being healthy would be number one in my life.. I've made lots of changes on that front such as giving up fancy cooking, baking, and other forms of social and recreational eating. I seek every opportunity to be active.

:) When a friend's husband died, I realized that my husband's health could lead to an early death for him and I wanted to make the most of the time I had left with him. I choose being with him over lots of other choices.

:)Allie LOL, when you said that grandma would come stay with Tracy and Miles while Kyle and Carmine were away, I thought it seemed like time for you to have a break while someone else played caregiver, then I realized that when you said "grandma" you were talking about yourself

<3Machka Happy Anniversary

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,625 Member
    Options
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,240 Member
    Options
    Machka: 🎉Happy anniversary🎉
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    ☘️
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,296 Member
    Options
    Karen - You are doing so well. Bravo! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Galrayne
    Galrayne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome Nikki- there are tons of ladies on here that will give you all sorts of ideas..me I can't give you much as im pretty sedentary myself except for taking car of my 7 month old grandson.. Nikki - hope you haven't gotten caught up in that flooding in the Dallas area..
    Ive been awake since 2:30 a.m. ugh.. so today is going to be a day. Have to watch Miles ,they are starting the installation of there ductless heating/ac today..so I have to stick around as Kyle and Carmine will be leaving for NYC after Kyle does the walk through. Here is hoping Miles can get a nap in.

Thanks so much for the welcome! I look forward to some great ideas. Ah yes the rain. Fortunately we were not hit with a lot of flooding. I don’t watch the news anymore so I’m not sure how much rain everyone got but my area got just over 5 inches. From what I heard Dallas got the 2nd highest record at just over 9. Much needed for sure.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Beth You are sooooo smart to deal with the paper now. Paper doesn't age well in storage. Best to get rid of all but the truly essential stuff and avoid sending any paper items to storage. I am with you in spirit as we both sort through parents' papers (and in my case, my own as well).

What papers do we really need to keep, anyway? You are way ahead of me on this one.

During this downsizing operation paper has become the bane of my existence. Dealing with it has forced me to reconsider how I deal with correspondence.

I already receive statements and most end-of-year forms electronically, but now I shred/recycle/respond to all mail daily, a habit I wish I'd developed decades ago. Very few papers are filed these days, and even most personal mail goes into the shredder after a few days and several rereadings. No more piles of mail. It's amazing how painless it is once started. Finding stacks of old greeting cards, Christmas letters, memorial cards, and letters has certainly cured me of saving every.single.one.

Karen in Virginia

• Galrayne
    Galrayne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Galrayne,

Welcome! You are dealing with a lot!

It sounds as if you have the means to get out of the house. Do you drive or have transportation?

Is there a chance you could get to a pool?

We have a rehab place where I live with an accessible heated indoor pool that is a godsend for people with mobility issues. They accept memberships from people even if they are not in a formal rehab program.

The other thought I had was recumbent exercise bike if you are able, and have the room or can get to a facility that has one. With your tumor, I don't know if you can use a bike, but you say you can move your legs, so it came to mind.

Final thought is add some weights or exercise bands to your routine, especially for upper body
    exercises. That will burn more calories, add muscle, and strengthen your bones.

Karen in Virginia

Hi Karen!

Lucky for me I do get out. It’s a chore because there are a few things I have to do before I can leave that makes it frustrating. My husband does the driving & I have a handicap license plate so it does make it a little easier getting around.

We live in one of those luxury 55+ apartments. 1st time in an apartment & we love it! We chose this one because of the amenities which includes the pool. They offer water aerobics which excited me but I have yet to start because their lift chair to get in & out of the water doesn’t work. Getting in & out of the water is extremely hard work but I have managed it 3 times but stopped after I fell getting out. I was walking the length of the pool a few times & the pain is awful. Any weight on the foot hurts. That is the neuropathy that causes a lot of the pain. I’m not sure about the bike. We have a workout room so I will definitely see if I can do that. 🤞🏼

I was doing in home physical therapy for my legs & arms. I was and still use my weights. It’s the kind that I can add & remove these little sand filled bag type things that weigh 1 lb each. There are 5 per. I started at 1bag & am up to 3. 3 lbs for me is great!

This is all so very frustrating. I am definitely going to see if I can do the bike. It’s the one you can sit down close to the floor which might be a problem. Getting off of it requires having to turn & stand. Something I can’t do. Yet! Thanks for a great idea!
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    Morning all. We’re in the process if organising relocating our younger grandson to his new college next month. We are taking him and my daughter with all his stuff over on the ferry, and will stay a few days to settle him in. DD is booking the accommodation. We will probably take a detour to Oxford on the way home, to touch base with granddaughter.

Beth: I hope your mother recovers well and you can get things sorted soon. The problem with papers is that you have to trawl through so much dross to find the important stuff.

I’m in the process of going through my belongings and am getting rid of so much unnecessary clutter, but it’s a long slog.

I deal with incoming mail immediately, and regularly purge my current files. Junk mail is unbelievable. It goes straight into recycle bin. It’s the older files and belongings that I’m presently working on.

🥳🎉 Cheers to all those celebrating.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies. Don’t be put off by the volume of posts. Just comment if/when the spirit moves you.

☘️Terri

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,037 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    For the newcomers and those of us who have been here a while ... what is your favourite sport or exercise. :)

a50e64dycbs3.png

My favourite is front and centre there ... Cycling! :)

But I like a lot of the other choices:
    Walking
    Hiking
    Running
    Canoeing
    Rowing
    Pilates
    Weightlifting

I used to enjoy these and could see myself doing them again:
    Badminton
    Snowshoeing
    Cross Country Skiing

I'd like to try:
    Archery
    Horse riding
    Fencing
    Dancing
    Duathlon
    Rock Climbing
    Orienteering

And you?

Machka in Oz

PS. Looks like I missed 'swimming' from that word cloud!