Replies

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Katla ~ Are you doing anything for KATLA? I know you love your husband dearly, but, it seems that all these moves are wearing you out.

Carol in GA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    ___
    Downsizing update:

We have 25 of those realistic-looking battery operated pillar candles! 25!!! It's too many for this house, much less an apartment with no fireplace mantles, no dining room or DR table, and only 2 bedrooms! I refuse to store items like that. We agreed weeks ago that we will take nothing to the new apartment that does not have a place or a purpose. I figure there is a place on a display shelf for a grouping of 3 of the candles. Storing the other 22 is ridiculous. This is but one example of what I am dealing with. She wants to keep everything that we "might" need someday. Ugh!!! Tearing my hair out.

Karen in Virginia

I use those battery candles as nightlights. The ones I have, have a timer that you can have on for 5 hours. I put one in the bathroom and it comes on at midnight-ish and goes out about daylight. It's the perfect amount of light for nighttime bathroom trips.

Tina in CA

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options

What papers do we really need to keep, anyway? You are way ahead of me on this one.

I already receive statements and most end-of-year forms electronically, but now I shred/recycle/respond to all mail daily, a habit I wish I'd developed decades ago. Very few papers are filed these days, and even most personal mail goes into the shredder after a few days and several rereadings. No more piles of mail. It's amazing how painless it is once started. Finding stacks of old greeting cards, Christmas letters, memorial cards, and letters has certainly cured me of saving every.single.one.

Karen in Virginia

I scan or take photos of most everything I can so I don't have to keep paper. The only things I keep in paper form are tax related things and house paperwork, like the note. Everything else I have managed to mostly put onto the computer. If I get something that I want to keep as a momento, I take a photo and toss it into the trash/recycling. I managed to get a two drawer lateral cabinet down to about 1/4 of one drawer.

Tina in CA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    DH is working on improving his health following a major hear attack, and he is making progress. Our daughter has taken my car for herself. I am furious and DH is in my court. We will see how things go from here.

If your name is on the title it is your car. What is she doing for insurance? Does she have permission to borrow your car? If your name is on the tilte you are legally responsible for the car. I would only let her borrow the car if it is an emergency otherwise it just gets too sticky. Just take back your key or your fob and explain the legalities if she complains.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,357 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Dinner was black pudding with apples fried in butter, marrowfat peas and broccoli. Lots of English mustard.
    I was in heaven! :D AF white wine.
    My afternoon snack was a modest coleslaw, in a mainly yoghurt dressing. It was left over from yesterday's tandoori chicken with coleslaw.

CO 600 calories. Rowing, cycling, mat work, weights.

Dessert is blue cheese and pear. One square of dark chocolate with hazelnuts.

Did not write my article. I will make a start tomorrow. :*

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, ladies! Machka, that link is great. I don't remember it. I have the 5 Wishes document, but the information on My Love List is far more comprehensive and useful.

(((Katla))) Time for a clarifying chat with your daughter.

My housecleaner Catalina is here; she's been gone for a month on vacation, so the house is in dire need. She looks happy and relaxed. She is like family, except better, because she cleans! Plus, if we ever needed someone to adopt our 2 Yorkies in an emergency, she would do it in a heartbeat. We love her <3

Got my haircut today; now back home & ready to go through more boxes and give away more stuff. Yay!

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,714 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

DID U SEE THIS???!!!

2ngqgkugrgyt.jpeg
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    I had an interesting day yesterday. Went to the adult center and played pool with DH for an hour. I was to go to the book club then yoga but DH came with and no one was in book club. It would have been only me that read any of a book and an employee! So played pool.

Then later at the campground, an elderly couple backed their camper into the shelter over the picnic table and took it completely down. The poor man was so upset about it. We moved them into another campsite. It’s 4akmhlsphgy4.jpeg
    b6l5iwcbe7ay.jpeg
    cazoelhq6gza.jpeg

great to see people their age camping but there does come a time when you shouldn’t be driving or backing up a trailer. They had a small 30 foot Fifth wheel. I’ve seen 45 foot fifth wheels back into that site in 2 minutes.

RvRita
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Pip thanks for the heads up! Too bad that they are doing that.

Katla you definitely need to have a talk with your daughter about your car. Margaret is right about liability. Sometimes our children can be a little too helpful 💞

💞 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol in GA — I am happy with my husband but frustrated with our daughter. He is recovering from a serious heart attack. We are living in a retirement center while he recovers from the heart attack. DH is well cared for here and we are happy together. I am homesick for our home in Oregon.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I love to do the breast stroke but reserving a spot at the pool is difficult. I might compromise and do water aerobics in the future.
    I love to walk at a pond at a local college.
    I enjoy walking/step videos
    I. could do more yoga.
    And I want to try pickleball.
    Rosemarie from GA

I have tried pickleball. Its like tennis and ping pong had a baby and named it Pickle.😁. I played an afternoon at my clothing optional resort a couple years ago. Its definitely not as strenuous as tennis. The rackets are similar to tennis but without strings and a solid surface. 👍🏻
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Karen ... but here's some advice ... if you have decided to keep your mother's upper denture because it was lined in silver ... please take care of that yourself. I'm finding some mighty odd things. :#

Beth
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Katla ... Why is your daughter taking your care for herself? Is she borrowing the car for errands or has she made the decision that you shouldn't be driving anymore. A hard conversation in your future I'm afraid. Praying.

Beth near Buffalo
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Got my hair cut this morning. Have vet appointment for dog this afternoon and then they are delivering hay after that. I will need to get the stall where we store hay cleaned out before then. They were not scheduled to come until next week and I thought we had time to clean this weekend but alas not. This is supposed to be the hottest day this week so should be fun, NOT.

Beth - we found cash stuck away in my DH's things when he died but nothing like that.

Karen - sounds like you are making some interesting finds.

Pip - I don't use that feature much but that is a bummer for those who do. They seem to be pushing really pushing to get people to use premium.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Katla – sorry to hear about the car issue. I am helping my mom with a number of things and we have had a few mis-understandings (from my view) a few moments where I did not do what she wanted or what was right (her point of view) and lucky so far when we talked about the issue it was truly a misunderstanding. I could totally see the car thing being that you don’t know your way around in her town, she is worried about you driving… Please don’t worry about it without first talking – and listening to your daughter to be sure that the situation is as you believe it to be.

Keeping stuff/parents records – I am spending hours going over all the items my mom needs to have updated/changes and to get her ready to move its time to get her out of her big house, and in fact she wants to downsize. One of the things we are dealing with is capital gains tax. If any of you are dealing with this, I was amazed to understand what the IRS considers “upgrades” as the costs of the upgrades can be subtracted off the sale price of the home prior to taxes being figured out. So upgrades are of course the remodeled kitchen, the added room…. But it is almost everything except paint and carpet… so it is new lighting, bathroom grab bars, new light switch covers, insulation, windows, ceiling fans…. But keep your receipts! And those have to be kept until after the home is sold… Be sure not to tuck them in with a years taxes that you might toss away in 7 years.

Plant based foods week of 8/21/22
    1. Lettuce
    2. Red tomato
    3. wheat
    4. basil
    5. eggplant
    6. sun dried tomato
    7. oregano
    8. walnuts
    9. peaches
    10. portabella mushrooms
    11. red bell pepper
    12. grapes
    13. orange tomatoes
    14. coffee
    15. blueberries
    16. potatoes
    17. broccoli
    18. sunflower seeds
    19. onion
    20. dried cranberries
  • Galrayne
    Galrayne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For the new folks, Shelle in MD ( @Shelle68 ) and Nikki in Dallas ( @Galrayne ), bookmark this thread and keep visiting! Support is available here from every direction, both for the changes you're trying to accomplish, and the rest of your life, too. Weight loss and the day-to-day lives we lead are too tightly interwoven to change your eating and not change your life. Changing habits to healthy ones will help a lot, and I'm sure you've read even more possibilities here too.

We're glad you're here!
    Regards,
    Lisa in AR

Thanks for the welcome Lisa!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,714 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 2min 6sec, 75elev, 3.0ap, 91ahr, 162mhr, 6.14mi= 558c
    Strava app = 752c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 30.37min, 213elev, 157aw, 41-43gear, 19.8amph, 118ahr, 153mhr, 10.10mi= 265c
    Strava app = 273c
    Zwift stats- 30.29min, 214elev, 156aw, 53arpm, 19.88amph, 10.10mi= 274c

Total cal 823