WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2022

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,357 Member
    Options
    Annie - they probably think your father lives alone, instead of with an intelligent daughter! :p
    It's terrible how they target old people. Grrr! I'm sure his account is fine.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    <3
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I just took a call from Amazon trying to notify us of fraud on my father's account. I hung up, but I want my father to check the account, especially recent orders. Now that I think about it, he didn't ask the right questions, such as did your father place the fraudulent order. He also said someone used my father's information to set up a new account. If so, we couldn't log into the new account so why call us except to confirm we had not placed the order? Hmm. I hate this feeling. I'm letting it distract me from the yoga I should be doing this morning.

Scammers. Bah humbug.

Annie in Delaware

Just remember that these companies will not call you on the phone to inform of you of potential fraud. They are too big to be policing that and frankly, they don't know what your spending habits really are. Your credit card companies and banks do. You would get notifications of charges on your credit cards or bank or something (set up charge alerts with your and your parents' banks if you haven't). The IRS/tax/government agencies will send you a letter in the mail.

Tina in CA

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I just took a call from Amazon trying to notify us of fraud on my father's account. I hung up, but I want my father to check the account, especially recent orders. Now that I think about it, he didn't ask the right questions, such as did your father place the fraudulent order. He also said someone used my father's information to set up a new account. If so, we couldn't log into the new account so why call us except to confirm we had not placed the order? Hmm. I hate this feeling. I'm letting it distract me from the yoga I should be doing this morning.

Scammers. Bah humbug.

Annie in Delaware

I (and others here) have received many scam calls from "Amazon". For a while it was daily but they have eased off a bit now. Just had another one the other day.

If I get a call from "Amazon", I just assume it's a scam.

M in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Good morning, afternoon and/or evening, all,

Long week, just dragged by, with doctor appt on Monday and blood tests this morning. I feel like a petulant child sometimes (I don't WANT to go, I don't WANT to have a stranger touching me, I HATE going, wah!).

But it just means I'm heartily sick of myself. I know I'm reaching my limit when a child throws a screaming cat fit in Walmart and I envy them--not the mother, the child. Nobody ever lets me do that... :wink: There, I've wallowed enough for now in my self pity. Reading the posts here helps me regain my perspective, constantly and forever. I am grateful for all of you and your presence in my life.

OK, just walked down to the mailbox and back, and I have to run up to the post office and pick up a package.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,714 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Outside bike ride- 1hr 58min 37sec, 267elev, 61aw, 13amph, 122ahr, 151mhr, 25.64mi= 884c
    Strava app = 488c
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Lisa-sorry you are feeling down. However, you just helped me realize (admit?), I too have been jealous of those who can just throw fits. I think I must read up on scream therapy . . .

Watches-I basically stopped wearing them after cell phones became so popular year ago (stopped after one died and didn't replace). I bit wear my Apple Watch for the health monitoring but I do like checking the time!

Amazon and other scams-horrendous and getting worse.

Off to get a head start on weekend chores.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    πŸ’ž
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited August 2022
    Options
    My brother rang me in a panic, saying that one guest, who lives in Brighton, can't come to the party because of a rail strike. "Have you checked the trains?"
    :o
    I checked, and all seems fine. Either the guest is misinformed, or she is making an excuse, not a very clever one!

Looking at trickle vent info on YouTube and Google. Basically, I think we can just take them off and fill in the holes. They haven't been open all this time anyway! It's just a dining room. :) Not a laundry!

DH is currently mowing the grass for the first time since April. It's been so hot, it's just been a crispy, dry, yellow desert. Recent rain has greened it up, but it's still just wispy bits. He's only doing it because of the family coming for lunch. He also cut back the weeds in the front a bit. Nothing like social pressure!
    If I had to do it, I would get a gardener. Not my thing.

I did cook an amazing Lamb Tagine though. :p Hairy Bikers' recipe. DH provided a tasty rosΓ©. Before, I rang G, who has exchanged at last, but is now in headless chicken mode with completion on the 1st!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)wearing a wristwatch I took my watch off the day I retired in 2004 and haven't worn one since however, that was purely symbolic since I carry a pedometer in one pocket and a cell phone in another all day every day. I would be as lost without them as Heather is without her watch.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,805 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    To say im beat is an understatement.im downright exhausted.
    Was up early.. watched Miles..then got Homer out... came home..like you all im at the point im just trying to purge all my stuff. My friend Mike came down with his nephew Rocco and took my patio set ,table,6 chairs bar cart.. i dont sit out there and entertain much anymore and they come from a big family..so here is hoping they can use it..
    The birthday party I am going to tomorrow is going to be huge 65 people for a 1 yr olds birthday party.. thats what happens with a big family.. im not great with huge crouds..but love them since they are like family to me anyway.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    πŸ™ˆπŸ™ŠπŸ™‰
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I did my first real workout this morning in a while. I need to start working my legs again. I suspect I will barely be able to get up and down out of the chair tomorrow.

My leg and knee are feeling a bit better. I have been following the famous internet Physical Therapists, Bob & Brad's advice (I'm learning to love them). I also went to the chiropractor who believes my knee issue is from my neck and back. I do not doubt that a bit. I still haven't been approved for an MRI, but at this point, it'll be a waste of time and money. It's been almost 5 weeks. I don't know what it'll tell me that will really make a difference.

The feet issue is another thing. I have researched extensively and I still don't think it's plantar fasciitis. My doc assures me it's not a circulation issue. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

I am working a conference next week. I am not looking forward to it. Too many people, too much time on my feet, too much terrible food.

Have a great weekend!

Tina in CA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Hi y’all. Had a busy morning just doing chores etc. I will clear out another file folder after I have posted here.

Machka: Thanks for posting the Love List article. I will use it to draw together all our details. I already use the wellness wheels to regularly assess how I’m doing.

Most of our documents etc are in a fireproof safe in our wardrobe. Daughters both have assess to it. I will be checking and sorting through it in the next few weeks. POAs and wills are in place.

Heather:Our home is also future-proofed, with a downstairs room and shower room close by. Our upstairs used to be the province of our daughters, but we have gradually spread out up there. Hence the push to de-clutter, especially as they both have there own homes. It’s all too easy to just close the cupboards and forget what is in them.

We have booked the ferry to take younger grandson and our daughter over to deliver him to his Uni accommodation in late September. We will make a long weekend of it.

Marina has organised an August bank holiday barbecue this evening. Boat owners will receive a free barbecue box prepared by a local chef. Not sure what that will contain, but will take it as it comes.

πŸ₯³πŸŽ‰ Cheers to all those celebrating. β€˜Lang my your lum reek’ as the Scottish would say.

Virtual (((hugs))) and πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ» for those who need them. May you find a way through your trials to peace.

πŸ™‹β€β™€οΈ Miele failte to the newbies. Set a spell with us.

☘️ Terri

Irish Terri,

Is this Summer Bank Holiday or something else? :*

Karen in Virginia

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Be careful of e-mail too. We got one that was so good it fooled me at first. It told us to call a number to verify an account. We would not give them any numbers. They then tried to get us to buy a gift card. That is when we hung up and knew it was a scam. The first thing I should have done was checked the questioned account.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I haven't worn a watch in ages. We have a couple of clocks around the house. I do not own a cell phone. I kind of wish that I still had my grandmothers clock that I used to have on my mantle in California. Every week I needed to be wound. It was a country looking clock made by Sessions, and I gave it to my middle sister. Have any of you ladies given something to a family member, and asked for it back? I know its sitting somewhere at my sisters gathering dust, not being wound, or heard. I did like the chime it made and the comforting ticking sound. I don't know why I gave it to her in the first place!
    Its a light painted wood, unlike my moms clock that was shiny black with gold accents. My grandmother and I got some gold paint and "prettied" hers up a bit once. She wanted hers to be as fancy looking as my mothers.πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ’–
    b82iw32a9ukc.png
    Looked somewhat like this.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Karen - It's called the Late August Bank Holiday. It used to be the 1st Monday in August , but they moved it to the last one of the month. I think Scotland has retained the earlier one.

I've made a request for an appointment with a blinds company. It won't hurt to know our options and potential costs, depending on what function we want them to serve. With fuel costs going up, insulation might be a priority, which we didn't need before. Otherwise it's mainly sun from the west.

Legs aching a bit from morning 5k run and similar walk this afternoon. I will get the Voltarol out of the cupboard!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    Options
    Heather: I used to wear a watch until I got a Fitbit. Now I wear it instead. I do like to be punctual. Hope the legs ease up
    Overnight.