Don’t understand difference in mirror vs scale

Options
zxqj5s67bm
zxqj5s67bm Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
About a month ago I started exercising daily (tracked through Fitbit) and tracking my calories and macros through MFP. I walk on the treadmill daily at an incline and the only day I didn’t do the treadmill I was on a bike ride. I also bought an Eros scale to track my body fat and other stats. I’ve ensured I’m drinking at least 64 oz water daily, and some days I’m in the 80s-90s oz. Each day I’m in a net-negative calorie, burning more than needed for my BMR.

I’m getting frustrated because I can SEE my muffin top melting away, and it’s an amazing feeling and inspires me to keep going. (My favorite thing to do directly after a workout is see how sweaty my exercise clothes are.) But my body fat percentage on the scale is not reducing. It doesn’t make sense… I can literally see in the mirror my body fat on my body is reduced but the % didn’t budge.

Also the weight is not reducing. Maybe it’s muscle, but honestly - I’m more upset about the BF % not changing. I’ve searched and searched online, every combination of ways to query, and I can’t find an answer.

I’m trying to have faith and “wait this out” and stick to my daily treadmill, knowing that something has to give - but I don’t want it to be my resolve.

Can someone explain to me why the mirror shows fat is gone, but the scale BF % says it’s still there?

Replies

15822 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Have you tried not exercising?
    My commute for example is a 40 minute 1 way walk, I'd also go to the gym 1-2 times a week. Then on Saturday I typically went out on longer walks/activities. My weight would be the same all week long. On Sundays however I would usually vegetate in front of a computer without leaving the house - and every Monday after the rest day my weight would dramatically drop up to 4 kg over the day before. Rest days make your body rest, relax and sort itself out. Take a break of a few days, see if it helps.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Pardon me but:
    Each day I’m in a net-negative calorie, burning more than needed for my BMR.

Splainy?
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    15822 wrote: »
    Have you tried not exercising?
    My commute for example is a 40 minute 1 way walk, I'd also go to the gym 1-2 times a week. Then on Saturday I typically went out on longer walks/activities. My weight would be the same all week long. On Sundays however I would usually vegetate in front of a computer without leaving the house - and every Monday after the rest day my weight would dramatically drop up to 4 kg over the day before. Rest days make your body rest, relax and sort itself out. Take a break of a few days, see if it helps.

Exercise adds water weight for muscle repair. That's not fat.

Exercise is good for a body.

I'd not recommend that anyone stop exercising to limit water retention. Stopping exercise may drop the scale a little in the short run, but it's counterproductive for health, weight management, and fitness in the long run.

I meant not exercising for 1-2 days, not permanently. From the post description it sounds like they're exercising every single day, which may be driving the water retention. It'll come off eventually but a few days of relaxation might give the mental satisfaction of that scale weight coming down.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    First: Congratulations on getting into such great shape. It sounds like the exercise is working as it should: You're getting stronger and you aren't gaining any weight. Nothing to be discouraged about there!

Ignore the %BF on the scale. All home methods are pretty inaccurate, but I hear the best is the old cheapo caliper. I bought one and tried it... it's humbling. Think twice before you get one and go by how you feel!

As for bodyweight not reducing: I always found that the Fitbit and Garmin calorie estimates for exercise are a little generous. I have to leave some of them "on the table" to lose weight. :/

Best of luck!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

I meant not exercising for 1-2 days, not permanently. From the post description it sounds like they're exercising every single day, which may be driving the water retention. It'll come off eventually but a few days of relaxation might give the mental satisfaction of that scale weight coming down.

But the OP isn't saying she's concerned about the scale weight; she stated she is upset about the (incorrect) bodyfat % reading the scale is giving her.

Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »

But the OP isn't saying she's concerned about the scale weight; she stated she is upset about the (incorrect) bodyfat % reading the scale is giving her.

The conductivity reading is probably related to water retention. It's not measuring fat content - it's reading how many ohms their body provides against the current. Which is why those scales aren't accurate in the first place
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »

The conductivity reading is probably related to water retention. It's not measuring fat content - it's reading how many ohms their body provides against the current. Which is why those scales aren't accurate in the first place

Yes, I am very well aware how BIA works. In your previous post, you specifically referenced the scale weight coming down, hence my comment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Bioimpedance scales rely on water in your body. It's why it's not that accurate in way of measuring bodyfat %.
    Listen, if your clothes fit better or are looser, you are liking how you look and people are commenting postively, does it REALLY MATTER what a scale tells you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png