Brand new gym goer!

Hi all,hope this ok to post here!
I'm 5,6 and currently about 180lbs,I've never been active at all and being completely honest I'm newly sober from alcohol and drugs so as u can imagine my bodies a bit ruined!
I've started going to the gym and cobbling together my own little workouts,I would be grateful if u guys could take a look and advise whether whether they're good/bad plans,any tweaks ect? 🙏
I'm currently trying to go 4 times a week with rest days in between,whilst trying to hit 10k steps a day!

Leg day:
Warm up stretches
10 mins treadmill
Leg extensions 11kg 15x4
Leg press 32kg 20x4 x
Hip abduction 25kg 15x4
Prone leg curl 14 kg 15x4
Abdominal 18kg 20x4
Squats with 20kg weight 10x4
Cool down stretches

Arms:
Warm up stretches
Converging shoulder press 4.5kg 10x4 ​​
Converging chest press 4.5 15x4
pec fly 18kg 10x4
Lat pulldown 18kg 15 reps x4
Tricep extensions 23kg 15x
Low row 4.5kg 15x
Cool down stretches

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Are you doing this 2x per week (since you said you're trying to work out 4x per week)? What's your progression plan/scheme? I mean are you using the same weights, same sets/reps every time?

Rather than trying to "cobble together" something (TBH, I see neither rhyme nor reason to what you've detailed above), why not use a proven, progressive training program/template? There are plenty available, many for free.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Don't create your own thing when you don't have the knowledge and experience to do it well.
    Have a look in the Must Read threads pinned to the top of this forum and you will find loads of off-the-shelf programs which would be much better to choose from.

On the upside as a beginner just turning up and doing this mish-mash of random exercises will "work" to a degree - just nowhere near as well or as efficiently as a well designed program.
  • mikefm101
    mikefm101 Posts: 10 Member
    I’d never tell anyone who just started going to the gym they are wasting their time. Keep going, but my bet is in a few weeks you will start to get a bit bored with the exact same routine regardless of what exercises you were doing.

At that point start looking around for some variety. YouTube is a good resource but bear in mind a lot of those are about bodybuilding rather than overall health. I tend to add one or two interesting moves rather than follow an exact program.

Only suggestion to your list is in a few weeks begin to broaden your core routine beyond just the ab machine. I have a 15 to 20 minutes core set I do three times each week. Loads of ab workouts on you tube.

Also thinking shoulder and biceps are underrepresented in your list.

It’s common to have a shoulder/biceps/triceps day, leg day, chest/back day with core sprinkled in. Other people do upper body pull day, upper body push day, then leg day, rest day.

Mike
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,500 Member
    That's a solid start. Get you used to the main exercises. Maybe in a couple of months look for something more structured as recommended above.

I wonder about some of the weights you've listed though. I mean, you're apparently doing chest fly's with 4x the weight of chest press, which seems strange. And you list a triceps extension with more weight than any lats or chest exercise, which again seems very strange.