How Do Non-Smokers Handle Stress?

Options

Replies

• spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of quitting and have found that vapor cigs. are helpful. You can get them with low or no nicotine so it's not like you're still smoking. I have menthol and vanilla, depending on my stress level both have been really helpful.
    Also lots cheaper than cigs. and easier to put down.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I quite about 5 years ago and my husband quit about 3 months ago.... We basically just took out our stress on each other!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Read THE EASY WAY TO QUIT SMOKING by Allen Carr.

Worked for me anyway. Saved my life actually...but your mileage my vary.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    A hot cup of tea. Very de-stressing.
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So many wonderful ideas, I just can't thank you all enough! I love the idea of going after water each time and replacing it with that, also running, but I can't start that yet - I will get there. A hot cup of tea, nice, soothing ;) I may still have a box of chamomile tea in the cabinet ;) I tried the idea of going out and preparing a food dish that involves many steps... I was out there too long and had to prepare x5 (for each person who walked by...) LOL :)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Running or if i cant do that cuddle my husband cant be mad when your being hugged
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the quitters in this thread! I use a variety of methods to reduce stress now that I've quit and I feel a million times better. You WILL feel less stressed overall if you stick with your lifestyle as a nonsmoker, smoking is only a temporary fix I'm sure we all know. It increases heart rate, blood pressure and all sorts of other physical stress responses, so keep in mind that smoking doesn't really fix stress so much as make you ignore it for a few minutes.

Exercise and healthy eating go a long way. Some more 'in the moment things':
    -Take a break and make a cup of hot tea/cocoa/other drink
    -Short walk or a few minutes of some exercise
    -Play with a toy for a few minutes, especially one that occupies your hand
    -Write in a journal/draw in a sketchbook
    -Deep breathing/breathing exercises
    -Rant about the evil cigarette company execs!
  • KxCoyote
    KxCoyote Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke, but here's things I do during stress. Though, in times of severe stress, I tend to turn to things I shouldn't, I won't list them because they are unhealthy, and I do NOT condone such behavior. Trying to get better.

In times of stress I.
    1. Draw. My first go to.
    2. Sing.
    3. Work out, it really helps.
    4. Play video games.
    If it's in the moment, and I can't get away from it, I tend to fidget. I don't know what it is with moving, but I just twiddle my thumbs, or imagine other things, such as the stressor exploding. I often pace, as well.

If I can though, I usually just say 'excuse me', and walk away, take a breather, sit in a corner(out of sight of course) and take a moment to calm down, before going back to the person.( this is usually with my mother, and I tend to go to my bedroom, calm down, then return to continue the conversation.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I do a 'mini meditation' ... focus on the breath, watch the thoughts come and go without judgement, get some perspective and try to react appropriately.

Easier said than done but gets more intuitive with practice. :)

I'm into awareness these days and trying to find the big answers within and not in some external source (cigs, alcohol, etc).

I used to think smoking relaxed me but then I realised smokers were one of the most stressed groups out there and all their 'stress relief' was doing was satisfying that urge for nicotine. The smoking was adding to the overall stress problem, not helping it.

Take a pack away from a smoker and then see how inherently relaxed they are ;)

Allen Carr's Easy Way book sorted the smokes out for me, recommended to anyone.
  • emsoquena
    emsoquena Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking two months ago and that was my question before. Here's what I usually do when I'm feeling stressed out.

-go for a run
    -watch comedy TV series
    -play games on my phone
    -eat ice cream and then double my workout
    -get a full body massage

These things really helped. And great achievement for me the other night, I went drinking with friends who are all chain smokers and I didn't have a single stick. Damn proud of myself for that.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My husband is a former smoker. When he feels the urge to smoke (sometimes due to stress) he pops gum in his mouth and then goes and reads for a bit. Works for him.

I'm a life-long non-smoker. My best stress killer is running. My second best stress killer is weight lifting. My third best stress killer is playing MMO's.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    They get on the internet and argue with strangers on weight loss forums.

^^^^^ YES
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I go shop online!
  • thefox64
    Options
    As a person with a serious oral fixation - I understand! Have you tried an E-cigarette? They have all kinds of flavored liquids to use with them and those come with varying levels of nicotine - or none at all. There's no smell either so you can use them anywhere and no one objects.
  • emsoquena
    emsoquena Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    As a person with a serious oral fixation - I understand! Have you tried an E-cigarette? They have all kinds of flavored liquids to use with them and those come with varying levels of nicotine - or none at all. There's no smell either so you can use them anywhere and no one objects.

I've tried that before but I read somewhere online that E-cigarettes can also be dangerous.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Things I like to do to handle stress are:
    read
    write
    watch movies
    have a cup of tea
    talk to someone
    etc.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I go for a run....works like a charm!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    If I'm stressed out I usually leave the house for either a walk, a visit with my mom (she's around the corner) and sometimes I just go to Wal-Mart or grocery shopping. If I'm stressed at work, I usually come online.

Smoking a cigarette just quiets the craving for the nicotine, in reality smoking increases HR and does the opposite of what you think it's doing.

"Contrary to popular belief, smoking does not relieve stress. Studies have shown
    that on average, smokers have higher levels of stress than non-smokers.6
    The feelings of relaxation
    that smokers experience while they are smoking are actually a return to the normal unstressed state
    that non-smokers experience all of the time."

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0264.pdf
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking after 34 years. That was 31 months ago. I gained 35 pounds in two years and ended up here to lose some of that weight.

But, more so than eating, crocheting afghans actually helps me. Gives me something to do with my hands. And if I need an oral fix, I eat a Lifesaver. I allow myself four a day.

I also used video games a lot during the first six months of quitting. Specifically, Tetris. Walking is difficult for me, but I did jump on my bicycle a lot. I didn't go far until this year though.

Best of luck. You can do this!
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I quit five years ago. Gum and mints helped with the oral fixation. It might sound silly, but I would also smell my hair and enjoy the fact that it no longer smelled like smoke (I'm a long haired female). Get a diet drink or some water with a straw. Seriously - at the time, I was also doing a lot of long distance driving so these things helped with both stress and boredom. You'll be surprised at how fast the oral fixation goes away. Also, close your eyes and breathe in and out a few times. Enjoy the fact that you can take a deep breath and it feels great, not uncomfortable and cough causing!!!