How Do Non-Smokers Handle Stress?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I put on some angry music go to the gym and don't leave until I feel completely exhausted, has never failed to relieve my stress and lift my mood incredibly.
  • cheethnico
    cheethnico Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    music i dance(throw myself around living room) and sing/squark my poor neighbors. my toddler finds it very amusing my teenager rolls her eyes as though im the most embarrassing mother ever hahahaha
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    I eat, hence me being on my fitness pal.

LOL! That was my first thought! Now I don't eat when stressed. Walking seems to help.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've been chewing gum ever since I quit dipping. Getting out enjoying nature(hunting, fishing, hiking), hit the weights, good music, something that'll make you laugh, or a way that works that may not be the best for everyone: go drink some beer/wine/whiskey
  • glocke12
    glocke12 Posts: 21
    Options
    I've found that working out fairly hard is a great way to manage stress...
  • DamoniqueW
    DamoniqueW Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I quit a few months ago and it helps me to listen to music and take a walk. Sometimes I think about lighting up but I've come so far. I don't want to start that habit again. Good luck!

Congrats to you!! I want to say "a few months" too :) and then "a few years"....

Thanks. You can do it. It took me a few times to finally quit. It's no easy thing to do. So taking that step, as many times as you have to start over, is a good thing. Good luck.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    In my case, I’ve got a series of G.Y.M.R (“Get Your Mind Right, pronounced “gī-mər” / “guy-mer”) songs from which I make a selection based on whatever is stressing me. Some songs are calming for when I’m wound up. Some are funny for when I’m feeling sad. Some are aggressive for when I need to stoke the fires inside and get out of a rut or I need to focus. Some are sad or blues-type songs for those times when it helps to remember that some days are just bad days.

When the stress hits, I can dial up the proper music and zone out for a couple minutes while I get my mind sorted.
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    CandelLife wrote: »
    I quit a few months ago and it helps me to listen to music and take a walk. Sometimes I think about lighting up but I've come so far. I don't want to start that habit again. Good luck!

Congrats to you!! I want to say "a few months" too :) and then "a few years"....

I can now say it has been 3 1/2 years since I quit smoking. I lasted over a year and wanted to smoke again because I gained 30 lbs back eating instead of smoking. Then I started e-cig vaping. Even though I had asthma all my life since a small child and diagnosed with COPD at the time I decided to quit smoking, vaping has not brought these conditions back on. I have no cough, no breathing issues etc. No side effects as far as I can tell. And I was able to lose the weight back that I had gained by quitting smoking.

3 1/2 years, say it loud and proud! The smell of smoke on a person who has been smoking now nauseates me and I have to fight the urge to say something. I still remember how insulted I would get if anyone said anything to me when I did smoke.