MENOPAUSE COMMUNITY

Options
ZermattNikki
ZermattNikki Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello All!
I’m really hoping to finally find a way to lose and manage my weight now I am post Meno.
So many apps and programmes are too generic and don’t account for the unique problems we women have.
I have returned to MFP after a number of (busy) years away and have tried a couple of things such as Keto and Noom.
Keto, for me, worked short term but was not sustainable, yet I learned that low carb was a good approach for menopausal women. Nooms approach with Psychology was excellent, but the App was not stable, the food database flawed and their promise of coaching was disappointing to say the least. I’m glad to see MFP has some useful plans to follow - the food database seems excellent in my experience and the price for Premium is the best I have seen.

So I believe I can use MFP to help me in my weight loss and weight management journey and would love to connect with other women in the same situation.

To help me set up my Macros I used the following site - it took Menopause into account when asking questions and offered me more accurate macros for my goals. You only need to take the first step and they email you the Macros - it is up to you if you sign up - I am not endorsing this and I am not signed up as I believe with the right macros, MFP and the support of women in the same situation as me, we can make this work.

https://www.iifym.com/macro-calculator/

I believe we should have our own section/message board so that we can discuss the different issues we all face (not just weight loss!)
Indeed if I have missed something and there is already a dedicated message board set up - let me know! I only found discussion threads and I feel we need a dedicated section… (there isn’t even a tag for #menopause !?)

Replies

• sospauld
    sospauld Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'm 49 and have been post-menopausal for about two years now. I started with MFP almost a year ago and have simply tracked my calories to achieve the weight loss I have (around 30lbs). Over the entire time, it may not seem like a lot (the expected 2lbs per week) but I have been able to go to amusement parks and parties without skimping too much on my favorite foods. There were plenty of times when my weight stayed the same or I may have gained two lbs, but the overall chart is a downward trend. I am in HRT and had to adjust the patch as it was affecting my weight loss. I'm still on track for continued weight loss. I'll see how much I can lose overall!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I would love a section for menopause issues! I am am post-menopausal and still use HRT. I am almost 58, joined MFP in 2010, went from 184/size 14 to low 150s/size 8 for a short time but am mostly a size 10 in the 160 range. I swear I gained 10 pounds in the last few months with very few changes in my lifestyle! And it's all in the belly which is worst place to be. I am currently eating low carb which helped me lose 6 pounds in past two weeks. I am tweaking my coffee intake/timing to try to reduce cortisol.
  • ZermattNikki
    ZermattNikki Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello all and Thank you!
    Actually I saw the thread you posted @AnnPT77 but also saw comments were closed - and when I tried to contact you I couldn’t. I’m now thinking perhaps the browser I was viewing I was not signed in.

We deserve our own discussion area. But until then perhaps we can continue here…

I’m new to the MFP community so forgive me if I don’t reply quickly.. I think I need to tweak my notifications!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Hello all and Thank you!
    Actually I saw the thread you posted @AnnPT77 but also saw comments were closed - and when I tried to contact you I couldn’t. I’m now thinking perhaps the browser I was viewing I was not signed in.

We deserve our own discussion area. But until then perhaps we can continue here…

I’m new to the MFP community so forgive me if I don’t reply quickly.. I think I need to tweak my notifications!

Both the threads I linked look to me like they're open for comments, so I'm thinking maybe you're right about the sign-in.

In order to contact someone with a direct message, the person needs to be your MFP friend (or an MFP staff member). I'm a distinctly sub-par MFP friend (more of a Community forum gal, I guess), but I accept friend requests sent to me (as long as the person has some public info on their profile or a track record in the Community so I know they're not scammer/spammers! 😉). I do try to answer DMs, or posts on my wall.

No worries about replies. A lot of posts never get replies, but I keep trying. So many MFP-ers helped me over the years, so I try to pay it forward, however imperfectly. 😊
  • edamamewebber
    edamamewebber Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm excited about this group. I'm in the thick of it currently. Periods doing whatever they want (worse than a cat knocking stuff over), flashes, sleep, weight flux, motivation... It's a hot mess over here 😂. Mom-com!
    Looking forward to chatting more about these shenanigans.
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for a menopause group as well. I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago. Still have my ovaries. No way to know for sure if I'm in peri or straight menopause, but in the last year I've started with all the symptoms. I've had very mild symptoms over the last 5 years, but nothing like what's now happening. I will be seeing a hormone doctor this week so hopefully I'll get some answers. I am so exhausted from lack of sleep with night sweats and every other symptom. This weight gain has me so down at the moment too. I have not followed MFP for quite a while and am trying to get back into it again in hope that it helps.
  • edamamewebber
    Options
    Deshotelk, yes! I didn't stop sweating last night, thus no sleep and a ton of internet surfing. A shower might have helped, but last time not so much.... I hope your appointment goes well
  • annemariehowland
    annemariehowland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to be a part of this group as well. I'm in perimenopause phase and struggling with belly fat and extreme fatigue. I am thinking of trying a low carb approach. Not full blown Keto but limiting carbs to 50-75 vs the 150-200 range that I'm currently eating.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    With my hormone-fed cancer history, I could not use hormone therapy, and at the time I was treated, there was concern that even phytoestrogens (soy, flax seed, etc.) could feed cancer growth.** That meant that I (and others in my cancer support group) traded tips that didn't involve those solutions. They're mostly treatments of the symptoms.

For hot flashes, fans are obvious, clothing/sleepwear choices, that kind of thing. There are some indications that anything that triggers us to be hot - things that might have previously had a brief solution like taking off a sweater - can turn into a whole hot-flash episode that lasts longer . . . so avoiding things that make one hot in the first place can reduce incidence. There's probably some subjectivity in that, too.

For night sweats, consider the gel-filled "ice packs" that drugstores have, that remain soft and pliable when frozen. I put those under my neck (with a towel between pack & neck so not tooooo cold). They hold some coolness for a surprisingly long time, IME, and can be kept in a mini-cooler by the bed so you don't have to get up, if you don't want to start the night with one, or need more than one.

Vitamin E supplementation helps some people. If deficient, supplementing D and B12 may be helpful, too. (Get blood tests for deficiency before starting to supplement B12 and D.)

More subtle: You may find that certain foods or drinks in the evening will make night sweats worse (individual).

If fatigue is part of your symptom set, I'd even more strongly encourage being tested for B12 and D deficiency, and asking your doctor after if you'd be OK to supplement even if in normal range. There's evidence that we metabolize D and B12 less efficiently with age. Sub-clinical yet worrisome deficiencies are statistically quite common. (Also, reducing calories can mean less dietary intake than previously.)

Also, hypothyroidism becomes quite common as we age, especially among women. Be tested for that, too, if experiencing fatigue. If you're already diagnosed as hypothyroid, and are currently medicated, you probably know to be re-tested regularly in case a dosage adjustment is needed.

Along the same lines, if you're noticing decreasing muscle mass and relatively more fat in body composition with age, be sure to get adequate (generous) amounts of protein as you age, and to spread it through the day. Inadequate protein intake is also surprisingly common among aging people, even in places like the US. Also, there's good evidence that we metabolize that less efficiently as we age, too, so timing intake is important for us in ways it isn't for young people.

This is relevant to that issue:

https://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(13)00326-5/fulltext

Obviously, strength-challenging exercise of some type also helps with the body composition changes, and there's been some limited research findings that it especially helps with belly fat accumulation in post-menopausal women. On top of that, postural improvement - which strength exercise can help with - can make belly fat appear less prominent.

As we age, a number of things happen. Menopause is one. IMO, it's important to keep in mind that menopause isn't the only thing that's happening, and may not be the direct or only trigger of every symptom whose timing coincides with menopause. Some of those other triggers (or amplifiers) of menopausal symptoms are more actionable - able to be changed - than menopause itself.

** For clarity: My understanding is that because of further research, soy isoflavones (and some other phytoestrogens) are now not considered to increase risk of recurrence for estrogen/progesterone receptor positive breast cancer. They may even reduce risk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    For night sweats, Gabapentin works great for my sister.

I don't have flashes - I'm just always hot. What works best for me is a very cold room, which is fortunately easy to do here in Massachusetts this time of year.

I got it down to 61 degrees last night and am looking forward to getting it down to the 50s and being able to use all the covers I want.

Yes, I sleep alone :lol:
  • susiemcmac
    susiemcmac Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    @ZermattNikki I checked out your Macros site. It says my protein should be at 158, Fat is 100 and carbs at 182 with weight loss calories at 2260. MFP has me at 1670 calories. Any ideas on which one is better to follow?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    susiemcmac wrote: »
    @ZermattNikki I checked out your Macros site. It says my protein should be at 158, Fat is 100 and carbs at 182 with weight loss calories at 2260. MFP has me at 1670 calories. Any ideas on which one is better to follow?

https://www.iifym.com/macro-calculator/ probably uses a TDEE calculators, which has exercise calories built in to the base calories.

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back and so gives you lower calories to start.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • edamamewebber
    Options
    Re: night sweats. This sounds weird, but I've started wearing socks to bed. When I do, no sweats. When I don't, super sweat town. I don't know why it works and don't really care. 😂 🛏️ 🧦 🥵

Speaking of which: WTH with this whole sleep/no sleep! Some nights it'll be 7-10 hours in a row. Then nights later it's sleep for 3, awake for 4, asleep for 2... 😫 I found this little "good night 3 minute yoga " routine. I tried it last night. Very helpful for getting relaxation started. Whew! I did wake up but for just a time check. I've started wearing a watch again specifically to avoid the phone for time and try to keep it as a communication device.

Has anyone had experiences with changing exercise or food for sweat or sleep help? I'm definitely at the point where easy swaps in these are my first tries.

I do have gabapentin, but only take it occasionally for sleep (maybe 2 a month). I also keep trazodone on hand for sleep (again 2/month). Both work similarly for me with similar side effects. I'm a pharmacy technician (right hand woman to the pharmacist) and have talked with them about these meds (and confirmed the non-WebMD research I've done). FOR ME, I'm monitoring my tolerance levels. Some people have to increase dosage over time to get the same effect. With a family history of various substance abuse, I'm extra careful about all The Things. KWIM? 🙂
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I had and have severe sleep interruption insomnia, but I'm not sure whether it was triggered by chemotherapy or menopause (both happened at about the same time - chemo triggered menopause).

I've tried everything from folklore to modern medicine.

First, I'd encourage anyone who's had this to see a doctor and get a sleep study, especially if you snore. Sleep apnea can start at any point, and it's dangerous: It can contribute to heart disease and other serious health conditions.

Beyond that, the only thing that helped me significantly was a course of hypnotherapy from a credentialed psychologist. I was extremely skeptical that this would work, but I was desperate at that point. I hadn't had an adequate night's sleep in over 2 years by then - literally not. one. night. I was willing to try anything.

Hypnotherapy didn't fully resolve the situation, but I went from waking literally every 60-90 minutes all night every night, to getting a 3 hour initial block of sleep most nights - sometimes even 5 hours.

If this isn't something you've struggled with, that may not sound like much, but it was a huge subjective improvement.

She gave me personalized recordings of the hypnosis sessions that I can use when I need a refresher.

It may be worth a try. There are non-personalized sleep hypnosis recordings you can get commercially for a pretty low cost, if a psychologist or even hypnotist isn't an option.
  • edamamewebber
    Options
    Thanks for the sleep recommendation!
    I have a relaxation sounds app. I'll start plugging into it when I wake up. 💕

Re: migraines... I hadn't had regular migraines ever. Maybe 3 my whole life before Jan 2022 (stupid COVID). However, that's also when my hot flashes started to gain strength. 🔥 I'm trying to add extra water, thinking to help with headache and flashes. Any other non-drug specific ideas here?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sleep recommendation!
    I have a relaxation sounds app. I'll start plugging into it when I wake up. 💕

Re: migraines... I hadn't had regular migraines ever. Maybe 3 my whole life before Jan 2022 (stupid COVID). However, that's also when my hot flashes started to gain strength. 🔥 I'm trying to add extra water, thinking to help with headache and flashes. Any other non-drug specific ideas here?

In terms of hot flushes, I keep a roll on freeze gel handy (the kind you put on aching muscles). I use it on my pulse points, back and legs - it gives a nice freezing effect. TBH I don’t know how much it works but that, with a rose facial mist and hand held fan are my go-to methods. I’ve also just told my colleagues I’m having “fun” with flushes as that’s helped me (ie trying to hide it made it worse for me personally). The night sweats are just evil and I haven’t got those sorted yet, but I do know that avoiding alcohol and having a wool quilt and topper (more breathable) have made some difference.

Sadly I don’t have any non-medication tips for migraines, I just take a load of drugs and try to sleep them off in a quiet dark room.

• nanerkay
    nanerkay Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in 2017 and I suffer from migraines but I'm on medication for them now and there not as bad as the was. My problem is that in this passed year I keep gaining weight like crazy no matter what I do I can't keep it off an tips out there.?