Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

October 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,022 Member
    My mind went straight here....

jnwm5esbv1tc.png

Coffee and Walnut cake. Mmmmm 😋

No spoiler needed!!!

That looks really good. And I still have walnuts left from LAST year, so need to give some away and make more of an effort to use them. The hangup for me is usually shelling them. Cracking them apart goes fast with a hammer, but picking the pieces out takes time.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,659 Member
    Oh my goodness yes, walnut and coffee cake is awesome! And that comes from someone who normally isn't interested in cake unless it's made of chocolate!
    @polskagirl01 I'm currently really into a recipe from my vegetarian athlete's cookbook for an apple, date and walnut cake that uses oats and things to make it healthier. It's rather moreish. I'll send you the recipe if you like.
  • polskagirl01
    Oh my goodness yes, walnut and coffee cake is awesome! And that comes from someone who normally isn't interested in cake unless it's made of chocolate!
    @polskagirl01 I'm currently really into a recipe from my vegetarian athlete's cookbook for an apple, date and walnut cake that uses oats and things to make it healthier. It's rather moreish. I'll send you the recipe if you like.

Yes I like 😁
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @SummerSkier - did you check out the video in my spoiler? Maybe you have heard them and didn't realize what you were hearing. I was amazed the first time I heard them call out!

@polskagirl01 - wow that is a lot of walnuts! I love walnuts and use so many - in pretty much anything I bake, including breads and in oatmeal. Granted I don't have to shell them as I get them in a big bag from Costco.
    I hope you can get some answers from your next doctor and a plan forward!

@AlphaHowls 😊

@tarun_yadavA - my grandmother used to make a walnut coffee cake but it didn't look like that! Is the icing/filing mocha?

@eleanorhawkins - I would like that recipe please!

I have not gotten out for a run yet but have been reading here instead...
  • polskagirl01
    yirara wrote: »
    03.10 Mon 13°C 4.1km 36min
    05.10 Wed 17°C 6.2km 55min

total: 10.32/80.5km (2.7km behind)

Oh cool, I bonked after 30mins today. That's a record. Never got into the run. Was supposed to be intervals of 2, 4, 6, 4, 2 mins with corresponding slow durations. Basically, I had to walk briefly every time I got into a road with a speed hump because my legs gave up. Yeah. Still covid, and maybe the flu shot. Anyway, still 6km :)

Don't push yourself right now. Your body is working hard at getting better.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,292 Member
    @shanaber Hi! Yes, the icing has the coffee flavour in it.

I have a major sweet tooth 🤦
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited October 2022
    @jane_76 I also started out using the zenlabs C25k and liked it. I definitely overdid it too. I was beginning and felt like I needed to be pushing for each of the run intervals. It was so hard. If I had it to do again, I would slow down a little and give my body a chance to make some adaptations.

@marisap2010 Switching up your training is a great idea. You've got the endurance piece so it's a great time to pivot to speed!

@polskagirl01 Wow, that's a lot of walnuts. I also might need to try that cake @eleanorhawkins posted. I love how non-American cookbooks use weights for recipes. I prefer to cook that way. It's so much easier and less dishes but American cookbooks rarely give you that info. I eat walnuts some, but being from TX, I use a lot more pecans!

@yirara So sorry you're having a rough recovery. If it's just the flu shot, hopefully you'll bounce back in a day or 2.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,245 Member
    October total: 27.4/180 miles

10/1: 10 miles
    10/2: 6.1 miles
    10/3: 6.2 miles
    10/4: 5.1 miles

Just realized I didn't log my run yesterday. Recovery miles on the trail and I saw my trail friend and his dogs. Lovely cool morning running!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member

Oh cool, I bonked after 30mins today. That's a record. Never got into the run. Was supposed to be intervals of 2, 4, 6, 4, 2 mins with corresponding slow durations. Basically, I had to walk briefly every time I got into a road with a speed hump because my legs gave up. Yeah. Still covid, and maybe the flu shot. Anyway, still 6km :)

Oh yes, I'm careful. No running tomorrow. I have a morning doctors appointment anyway. Went running with a holter monitor today and have to hand it back tomorrow. Basically I felt like trolling the doctor because we're doing an ergometry tomorrow, and I'm sure there's a comment on I can't get my HR over 220-age (yeah, I'm not young) so I felt like demonstrating that I can easily get to over 180 :D
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,104 Member
    October Goal: 100 Miles

10/2 - 13.13 miles
    10/4 - 5.52 miles
    10/5 - 6.02 miles

24.67/100 miles completed for October

It was another lovely fall morning. It wasn't quite as cool as yesterday, but it was very nice. I ran 6 miles. I saw a fox, but other than that it was uneventful. Just a really nice day for a run.

That cake looks awesome!

exercise.png
  • polskagirl01

Oh yes, I'm careful. No running tomorrow. I have a morning doctors appointment anyway. Went running with a holter monitor today and have to hand it back tomorrow. Basically I felt like trolling the doctor because we're doing an ergometry tomorrow, and I'm sure there's a comment on I can't get my HR over 220-age (yeah, I'm not young) so I felt like demonstrating that I can easily get to over 180 :D

Hopefully the doctor is more advanced than the 220-age. If I'm remembering correctly, that guideline was intended to give people a general guide, but isn't always helpful. And I'd go for a run too, if wearing a Holter. They need to see what an average day looks like for you.
    Hope the appointment goes well and that you have a quick, full recovery!
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,292 Member
    Good morning everyone! My daily 9k done!
    0ba2d4n4rffa.png
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 5,060 Member
    Interested to see what the Dr says about the 220-age thing. I typically can push to over 190 when really going all out and some avgs over 170. I tend to look at my recovery and for me at age 64 what I have found is that if my heart rate is not dropping back into the 50's later in the day or evening that I need to lighten up and run slower. a 13-14 min pace will keep my HR in the 120-130's range. A 8-9 min pace is over 170 average. And this is with years and years of running so I don't think there is improvement in the future.